THE HOURS: Book and movie

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:29 am
Re the ladder trick: I may be clueless, but what was the guy trying to accomplish walking up and down the ladder? To make you notice him? (I hate seeming so stupid, but I really am drawing a blank...)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:29 am
I do wish a man who was a little better looking and whole lot subtler checked me out. Sigh!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:35 am
D'Artagnan,
This is a fairly large store and I have regular rounds when I go there, stopping at particular sections. I was on my way out of European history, post-Renaissance, when I passed pseudo-Costanza, who raised his eyebrows, smiled broadly and waited for me to say something. I said hi and continued walking, almost missing his, WELL, HELLO! He made little spins around but kept staring at me. I considered leaving right then but wanted to find a book I had not bought ($25) on my previous visit. He came directly from the back of the store to the ladder. I wonder if he knew what section he was in. The whole thing was very strange. There is a butcher shop three doors down that is quite inexpensive and I was a little wary that he might follow me there. He did not. Avoiding eye contact is usually enough to discourage most people.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:38 am
That behavior is certainly redolent of George. Scary to think that men may actually be inspired to try such self-defeating strategies after watching "Seinfeld" reruns. Unless they just want funny, self-deprecating stories to tell their friends...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
Flirting is fun and can be innocent. But asking for the ladder, then climbing it? The guy was a loser.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:07 pm
Another heart throb
Speaking of stars of the foreign cinema, I feel I would be remiss in not nominating Alberto Sordi for that honor. Here he was with his co-star in The White Sheik.

http://www.taormina-arte.it/images/sce.gif
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
Now that Fellini is pushing up daisies . . . hmmmm, wonder what flower would grow on his grave? . . . his reputation is being re-assessed. Have to admit I was a sucker for Fellini films.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:43 am
Didn't know his reputation was being reassessed. For the worse? How dare they!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:59 am
According to the Boston Globe, it is. My favorite Fellini film is his sunniest: Amacord. I know that I saw it at least 3 times.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:53 pm
A digression: I just got, yesterday, a second-hand copy of "Cousin, Cousine" yesterday and watched it last night. Haven't seen it in a long time. It ages very well. Recommend. The relationships are wonderful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:36 am
plainoldme wrote:
According to the Boston Globe, it is. My favorite Fellini film is his sunniest: Amacord. I know that I saw it at least 3 times.

The reassessment sounds like a beat-up tp me, plainoldme. Confused
By the way, I loved Amacord, too. Delightful! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:44 am
Love Amarcord too.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:22 pm
I also loved Cousin, Cousine! Although I haven't seen it in years. There are lots of movies that do age well. Saw one recently that did. Can't remember the name right now. Will try to think of it.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:16 pm
What I love about Cousin, Cousine (apart from the romanticism!) is the relationships among the members of the extended family who, rather than act judgmentally about what's going on, prefer to go on being a celebrating, cohesive, loving, bickering, normal family. It's a level of maturity and humor and sheer LIFE that I find very reassuring. They don't tell people how to be, they just get used to how they are.
0 Replies

The Unholy Hypocrite

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:34 am
I read 'The Hours' a few months ago and i really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie yet though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 11:33 am
It's currently on Pay-Per-View and DVD.
0 Replies

Fidelity03

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:08 pm
HELP
I am in need of some help...i have a fnal tomorrow on the difference between the movie The Hours and the book Can someone polease help me...my final is tomorrow and i just dont understand it! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies