THE HOURS: Book and movie

plainoldme

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:32 am
Several years ago, I read an evaluation of Marlon Brando that said that he vacillated between actor roles (On the Waterfront, The Men, Streetcar Named Desire) and movie star roles (whatever the Napolean film was called).
I noticed that Gerard Depardieu has pretty much forgotten that he was ever an actor and only plays movie star roles.
When an actor becomes a movie star, maybe it is time to retire.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:58 pm
That's what I think. I tend to avoid "star" films and go for good acting -- and actors I lust for!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:58 am
Tartarin,
I know exactly what you mean: it is so disappointing when a favorite actor shows up as a movie star.

Who do you lust for? I think my lust level is low right now.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:46 am
A list of people half my age (or less -- lust knows no boundaries). Billy Crudup; lately, the guy who plays Stringer on "The Wire"; Daniel Auteuil; Vittorio Gassman -- always did, always will... Shashi Kapoor (though he's gotten too fat) and Kevin Kline... and many many more. Fantasy lust is so accomodatingly uncomplicated!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:15 am
Tartarin,
I'm not that familiar with most of the people on your list. Sashi Kapoor is unknown to me as is the guy who plays Stringer and even The Wire. I am not certain who Vittorio Gassman is although his name is familiar. I admired Kevin Kline when both of us were younger. He is an interesting actor who doesn't shy away from roles that focus a critical lens on society. Just saw The Emperor's Club on the recommendation of someone here on a2k. Good movie. I know that Daniel Auteuil has a great reputation and that some consider him the best actor in the world but I find him, well, inert. I liked him in a frothy little French comedy about a man with a dull job but I did not care for him in Queen Margot in which he played a soon to be French king, born in Navarre(?),perhaps Francis I (?). He was also in Lucie Au Brac the little shown in this country film about the female Resistance fighter. He played Lucie's husband, Raymond.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:28 pm
See Auteuil in Un Coeur en Hiver... one of my favorite films! The Wire is one of HBO's new series -- a la Sopranos and Six Feet Under. The only thing I have on my TV is selected "premium" channels that show independent work (along with a lot of junk!) They will often show little films hard to find elsewhere, unless you live in Manhattan... Or Boston! For us innalekshules and weirdo artists living in rural Plains States areas, Sundance and Independent Film Channel (when you can get it) and HBO are gifts!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
A nice slushy, romantic, interesting rental would be "Heat and Dust" with Shashi Kapoor whose photo, when younger, can be seen here: http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2002/may/13dinesh.htm

I'm going to look for a Gassman photo now!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:46 pm
My! The young Sashi was tasty!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 05:25 pm
I did go looking (unsuccessfully) for a hunky Gassman photo and failed, but I did find out the name of the actor in The Wire that I like -- Idris Elba. No bio. He seems to be a Brit. The thing about all these guys is that they have to be more than just good looking (Auteuil isn't particularly) -- they have to be interesting actors. Glad you like the young Shashi, Plain. He became pretty gross in his later movies.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 08:54 am
I was wondering if the young Sashi was in the British television series based on the quartet of novels, "The Jewel in the Crown." Wonderful series and very true to the books.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:20 pm
plainoldme

The Raj quartet .... I LOVED the books & the TV adaptation. Wonderful stuff, agreed!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:39 pm
I was trying to remember, Plain, but I don't think he was. That lovely Pakistani (I think) actor (talk about lust!) was in it, but danged if I can remember his name.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:41 pm
Art Malik.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:11 pm
I think you're right, Tartarin! That name definitely rings a bell.
Oh, those beautiful, soulful eyes! <sigh>
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 08:01 am
I think I'm going to have to invest in the "Jewel" set of tapes.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 08:07 am
Footnote: A serious benny has come "cancelling TV." After the 2000 election here, American network TV was so utterly horrible that I cancelled my contract with the satellite company who then turned around and gave me a special deal in which I could, for a small amount of $$, get ONLY the movie channels (no commercials). So I have fifteen channels of all films and an extra bunch of bucks each month to invest in VHS and DVD's of my favorite films -- mostly bought second-hand. It's been WONDERFUL -- an exercise in figuring out what my real loves have been among thousands of films over the years. And sometimes frustrating when films are no longer available. And will soon require an additional shelf or two in the room where the TV is just to accomodate all these goodies!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 11:31 am
I hope that I am posting as plainoldme ... am using someone else's computer and posted as them the last time. Yes, his name was Art Malik! Funny, as soon as I saw the name, I remembered him! Haven't seen him since, although I did see Geraldine James in a costume drama piece recently.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:57 am
Here are some Vittorio Gassman photos for you, Tartarin:

(of course, hunkiness is in the eye of the beholder Very Happy)

http://www.filmoguia.com/imagenes/gassman.jpg

http://www.editorialepantheon.it/images/period1.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 10:31 am
MAc11,
Thanks for the picture of Gassman. That's who I thought he was or rather that is the era I thought he was from.

Yes, hunkiness is in the eye of the beholder and I know that I have strange taste . . . or, at least, I have been told that I have strange taste.

I was in my favorite bookshop, McIntyre and Moore in Somerville, MA, earlier this week and a man was making a way too obvious attempt to check me out. He was, I suspect, younger than I am and had a George Castanza body-type and height. Because I was trained as a Medievalist, I often (although I restrain myself) check out the store's extensive collection of Medieval history and lit. There was a ladder set up near this section and I put my selections on one of the rungs, as the books were heavy. This person came over, looked me in the eye, asked if he could use the ladder and moved it over one section, climbed to the top and then climbed down. I sincerely and seriously doubt that he has any interest in Medieval history. Although I was not attracted to him in the least (his age alone was off putting), had I any interest, it would have been cancelled by the ladder trick.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:24 am
Great story plain! It sounds like something that George Costanza might actually do. Very Happy
0 Replies