If you were the only human left on earth......?

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:35 am
What if every human on earth suddenly dissappeared for 10 years, except for you.....

1) Where would you go?
2) What would you eat/drink?
3) How will you sustain yourself in order to live on?
4) What activities would you do to keep busy?
5) Anything else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,937 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:05 am
The first thing I would do is travel by car, bike, foot, whatever, to the place that makes those 8000.00 love dolls. Then I would set up living quarters there, stock up on provisions, books, guitars and KY and enjoy a solid year of sex whenever I felt like it along with complete silence.

There would still be plenty of food lying around, lots of drugs, both the necessary and the recreational kind, everything in every store would be on a "Just Take It" sale.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:19 am
Too easy. Make it ten years. That could get interesting.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:22 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Too easy. Make it ten years. That could get interesting.

YOU'RE RIGHT!!! I'm changing it to 10 yrs. *goes to change it*
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:31 am
Do you think that would change BVT's answer? Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
Doesn't change anything. There's enough stuff lying around to keep one person comfortable for a hundred years. Of course by then the love dolls would be talking to me.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:27 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Doesn't change anything. There's enough stuff lying around to keep one person comfortable for a hundred years. Of course by then the love dolls would be talking to me.

Remember, the animals still exist, so you can.......well.....nevermind.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:34 pm
Can you imagine the water shortage when all those folks come back 10 years later and take a pee break?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:25 pm
Re: If you were the only human left on earth......?
1) Where would you go? The Greenest Country in the world
2) What would you eat/drink? Fresh water from the alps(from the snow becuase no one will have pee'd on it)
3) How will you sustain yourself in order to live on? Go really fast on the autobahn
4) What activities would you do to keep busy? Drive and shoot buildings
5) Anything else? Would kill myself driving too fast.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:02 pm

You'd never make it, BVT. You'd have no audience. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:18 pm
I'd have to prepare my own meals, what a bummer . . .

The final story in Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles is about a loner who was left behind when the rest of the colonists abandoned the planet to return to the earth. One day, as he is rummaging in a store, the phone rings. Shocked, he finally picks up the receiver, and hears a woman's voice on the other end. Elated, he makes plans to meet her. They rush across the wide plains of Mars to meet--and he discovers that the woman is hugely fat, ugly and overbearing (don't blame me, i didn't write it). The book ends with him racing across the plains, cutting down phone lines wherever he goes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'd have to prepare my own meals, what a bummer . . .

The final story in Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles is about a loner who was left behind when the rest of the colonists abandoned the planet to return to the earth. One day, as he is rummaging in a store, the phone rings. Shocked, he finally picks up the receiver, and hears a woman's voice on the other end. Elated, he makes plans to meet her. They rush across the wide plains of Mars to meet--and he discovers that the woman is hugely fat, ugly and overbearing (don't blame me, i didn't write it). The book ends with him racing across the plains, cutting down phone lines wherever he goes.

was that part in the movie? :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:41 pm
There was a made-for-television movie of that. If you are referring to that version, they did it up right. The guy meets the woman, and she is Miss Mars material, body, good looks, sexy mannerisms. Within days, her self-centered and shallow pesonality drive the boy outta town, and he flees across the Martian plain, cutting phone wires along the way. Sometimes the only thing worse than not getting what you want, is getting what you want.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:14 am
setanta

I remember a similar novel of Bradbury, but in the end the guy discovers that the message in the phone had been recorded by himself years ago. Then, it was a joke. Now, it drives him mad.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:17 am
Eva wrote:

You'd never make it, BVT. You'd have no audience. Laughing

I'd set up an auditorium with a full length mirror in every seat and play to my favorite people. :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 06:23 am
I uess itwould all be about you.

Id wanna see the world coming back from its defiled state. Trees would grow, grass would pop out between cracks in sidewalks, shrubbery would go unpruned.
MWA HAHA HAAA HAAAA.

We observe the little things out here
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
farmerman wrote:
....Id wanna see the world coming back from its defiled state. Trees would grow, grass would pop out between cracks in sidewalks, shrubbery would go unpruned.
MWA HAHA HAAA HAAAA.....

Yes! I'll second that, farmerman! Very Happy
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:02 pm
I'm reminded of an episode of "The Twilight Zone." Burgess Meredith plays a myopic misanthropic bibliophile who finds himself in a world blessedly free of all the damnable people. He sets about taking inventory of books and comes up with stacks of books he plans to read each year. Then the ironic twist: he breaks his glasses and there's no one to fix them.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:10 pm
Are the people coming back in 10 years? I guess they are. Interestingly, that kind of makes a difference, vs. if they weren't coming back.

If they were coming back, I'd move to a city that had a major university and some great natural areas to explore.

I'd set up a schedule to study some things, and do the nature thing some, and hmmm...spend a lot of time alone.

Get some dogs and cats.

I think you'd need to do something to keep yourself from going nuts. I mean, don't some of these people go nuts in solitary confinement for 30 days? Of course they're in the dark the whole time...but still--
I think you'd have to guard against going nuts.

Maybe have a reading schedule, a workout schedule, watch TV once in awhile! practice speaking, maybe reading aloud, that kind of stuff...

or take the other angle and become a solitary monk.

This must have happened to folks in the past--you know the kind that got lost in the forest for 10 years or something? And they lose a lot of their personality and stuff like that?

How would you keep sane, other than having an $8000 doll? :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 06:49 am
Completely alone for ten years? I picture myself waking up one day completely alone. Are all animals gone too? If not I'd let them out of the zoo.

Then I would have scoured the earth for the best place to live. I would learn to fly airplanes. Maybe jets even. I'm sure I could do it if I had ten years and access to all the simulators, instructional videos and all that. Helicopters too.

As for food I think the easiest way would be to crash peoples emergency shelters, where they have stored non perishable food.

Then, having enabled myself to go anywhere, I would sit back and see how much nature could take back in ten years.
0 Replies