What types of business opportunities do folks actually want to be called and/or emailed about?

tsarstepan

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:11 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Is it ILLEGAL to cold-call people?

If you are on the Do Not Call Registry? Yes.
Quote:

How are companies supposed to get the word out about what they do if they don't call or email people? How are they supposed to make money if they don't recruit people?

Um?! You're not the brightest bulb in the world. Most companies use advertisements via television, radio, various print media, billboards, the internet, sponsoring public events, etc.... If you haven't picked up on this by now? You're hopeless.

Quote:
You are being ridiculous.

Laughing Laughing Laughing You're letting your desperation and your state of undereducation blind you to the ethical problems that these work at home present and why most people who already know that? Rather not deal with them in the first place.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
Exactly my thinking. This business selling these gas pills? Should have been prosecuted for fraudulent activities. On the other hand? The undereducated idiots buying these placebo adjacent products? What responsibility do they have for their lack of science education? ((shrugs))
Rebelofnj

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:22 am
@JGoldman10,
Those are all pyramid schemes: Herbalife, Primerica, Amway, Avon, etc.

I almost got involved with Primerica when I was young and naive, before I realized I had to pay for my own training. None of my later genuine jobs never forced me to pay during the hiring process.

I never accept out of area calls because they are always marketing scams. Most people, including myself, would usually seek out business opportunities, instead of waiting for them on the phone.
cherrie

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:28 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
AGAIN, WHAT TYPE OF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT TO BE CALLED AND/OR EMAILED ABOUT?

WHAT PRODUCTS AND/OR SERVICES ARE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN?

NONE

Do you ever read the replies you get? Pretty much everyone who has posted here has said they don't want or trust phone calls or emails offering business opportunities. They are most likely to be scams.

Here we have the Do Not Call Registry that prevents calls like this. Only registered charities are allowed to cold call. There are some other exceptions but off the top of my head I can't remember what they are.
tsarstepan

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I never accept out of area calls because they are always marketing scams. Most people, including myself, would usually seek out business opportunities, instead of waiting for them on the phone.

And I (like many others) don't accept unknown calls with alleged NYC area codes because it's far too easy to spoof area codes and phone numbers from other locations.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:32 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
How are companies supposed to get the word out about what they do if they don't call or email people? How are they supposed to make money if they don't recruit people?

Advertising.

Most companies don't rely on emailing or calling random people on the phone to get reliable hires.

Companies also use employment sites like Indeed, LinkedIn, Career Builder, and Monster.com to look for potential candidates.
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:50 am
@Rebelofnj,
Companies want their employees to recruit people. I was helping my mother run the businesses she was involved in by emailing people the required info I was supposed to send to people. I went through lists of people to contact. Employees of certain companies have online back offices and sometimes in their back offices they have lists of people they can call or email info about the companies. I am speaking from experience.

Seems like Tsar is implying that is illegal to send people info about the companies people are involved with. How is that illegal if that is standard business procedure?
jespah

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:51 am
@cherrie,
Some political solicitations can go through (polling, IIRC).

Cold calling is a lousy way to do business. Your return is less than 5%.
B2B returns are less than 1%. See: https://biznology.com/2014/12/37-facts-future-social-selling-vs-cold-calling/
It's maybe 1 - 3% for B2C: https://ducttapemarketing.com/the-abusive-math-of-cold-calling/

B2B means business to business. That is, sales to a company. B2C is business to consumer, i. e. sales to an individual.

Much of the US has caller ID, and we use it.
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:52 am
@cherrie,
NONE? I FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE. NOT ALL BUSINESSES ARE SCAMS.

People need things like health supplements.

Maybe I should rephrase the question-

WHAT KINDS OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES DO PEOPLE NEED?

WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE HOT COMMODITIES?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:57 am
I know from experience, some MLM's are scams. I recall getting involved with one. It cost me $20 to get involved. When I saw I wasn't making any money with the company I wrote to the company to get my $20 back. I never got it back from the company. I contacted the BBB branch where the company was located and asked them to intervene to get my money back- I never got my refund.
Rebelofnj

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:59 am
@JGoldman10,
From the Federal Trade Commission's Do Not Call Registry FAQ:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/qa-telemarketers-sellers-about-dnc-provisions-tsr

*It’s against the law to call (or cause a telemarketer to call) any number on the registry (unless the seller has an established business relationship with the consumer whose number is being called, or the consumer has given written agreement to be called).
But it’s also against the law for a seller to call (or cause a telemarketer to call) any person whose number is within a given area code unless the seller first has subscribed to and accessed the portion of the registry that includes numbers within that area code, and paid the annual fee, if required.

*A company that is a seller or telemarketer could be liable for placing any telemarketing calls (even to numbers NOT on the registry) unless the seller has accessed the registry and paid any required fees. Violators may be subject to fines of up to $42,530 per violation. Each call may be considered a separate violation.
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:59 am
@jespah,
"Cold calling" is the correct term to refer to calling someone up about a business opportunity - right? Calling to get people interested in the business and to sign them up?
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:02 am
@Rebelofnj,
What numbers on the registry? The numbers of people who don't want to be called by solicitors?
Rebelofnj

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:10 am
@JGoldman10,
It should be mentioned that the Better Business Bureau has no affiliation with any government. There are NOT a government agency in any way. There are basically a glorified version of Yelp.

There have been allegations that BBB provide higher grades to companies that pay. Even to companies that have poor reputations and are under federal investigation.
https://money.cnn.com/2015/09/30/news/better-business-bureau/index.html
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:11 am
@Rebelofnj,
You didn't answer the question. What numbers are on the registry?
Rebelofnj

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:16 am
@JGoldman10,
If you actually went to the link, you would know that the numbers they are talking about are the numbers on the DO NOT CALL registry.

Meaning that telemarketers CANNOT CALL numbers that are on the DO NOT CALL registry or else they will be penalized.

Do you need everything spelled out?
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:32 am
@Rebelofnj,
You can't answer a simple question?
JGoldman10

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:34 am
I think I am getting a little confused here. Is calling a person on the phone about a business opportunity considered telemarketing?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:43 am
@JGoldman10,

Your question: What numbers are on the registry?

My Answer: the phone numbers on the DO NOT CALL registry. It is a list of phone numbers that telemarketers cannot call. People voluntarily register their phone number on the registry.

I have answered this question twice.
Why can't you read the damn link I provided?

jespah

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 08:03 am
@JGoldman10,
Cold calling is calling someone out of the blue.