Dual Loyalty

gollum

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 03:33 pm
Some people have intimated that Congresspersons Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib are implying that American Jews are guilty of dual loyalty (i.e., loyalty to both the U.S. and Israel).

I would guess that most American Jews are innocent of the charge.

That said, some American Jews are also citizens of Israel. Without criticizing such persons, don't they by definition have dual loyalty?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,565 • Replies: 5
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 04:56 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Some people ... have intimated that .... are implying that
... I would guess... That said ...don't they

This is an awful long string of "weasel words" put into a short post.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 05:43 pm
Actually, the Right of Return just gives us the opportunity to become citizens, but it's not automatic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Return
These aren't the only cases of dual citizenship, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_United_States#Dual_citizenship
Per that link, yes, you're technically supposed to renounce your allegiance to another country when you become a naturalized American citizen. But that's not renouncing dual citizenship.

And dual citizenship in any other country, by any other class of persons, doesn't seem to generate these kinds of questions about loyalty that the Israeli Right of Return seems to generate when it comes to the Jewish people.

Why do you think that's so?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:00 pm
@jespah,
There is a big difference between the Law of Return and the Right of Return. I think you are confusing the two. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return).

The Law of Return gives the people of Jewish descent automatic residency in the state of Israel. The Right of Return is part of international law and gives people displaced by war the right to return to their place of origin.

In the Israel/Palestine conflict the Right of Return would give people living in the land of Israel before 1948, and their descendant, the right to live in Israel. This is controversial because it presents a demographic challenge the idea that Israel should be a majority Jewish State.

But these are not at all the same thing.
jespah

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:05 pm
@maxdancona,
I used the wrong word.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:12 pm
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you.

As a matter of identification, I am Jewish.

To answer your question, the reason is often expressed as antisemitism.

I find that term "antisemite" imprecise. I like to understand what is going on in the mind of the "antisemite."

Might some be Palestinians whose families owned land in Palestine (not a country)? The families may have chosen to leave the land in 1948 planning to return after the war. Perhaps conditions of war in 1948 forced families to move.

There are other reasons.

I think the wording on a passport invokes allegiance.
0 Replies