Toyota Hybrids

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:12 pm
I see by the news reports that Toyota is really sticking it to buyers of its new hybrids. Waiting lines and two to three thousand surcharges. During the 1970s the "surcharge" was called "dealer reconciliation". Boy, when they got you by the cojonies, they sure like to twist. I think car salesmen rank lowest in respect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,361 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:28 pm
It's simple supply and demand.

Just like when the Miata, New Beetle, and other popular/highly awaited cars come out, they mark them up.

If they're that overpriced, then the people buying them either just aren't bright enough to realize they'll eventually come down, or feel it's worth the extra $$.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:58 pm
Toyota Hybrids
Slappy Doo Hoo

There may be other reasons other than "simple supply and demand." One that comes to mind is "Path Dependency".

Also, watch out for the company you keep.
"If you have a lot of what people want and can't get, then you can supply the demand and shovel in the dough."- Charlie "Lucky" Luciano.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 10:03 pm
I doubt sales people have all that much to do with setting prices.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:20 am
They don't have anything to do with setting prices.

And it IS supply and demand. They wouldn't mark them up that high if they weren't getting it. It happens in many businesses. Besides, anyone that's going to overpay that much for a new hybrid isn't functioning on all brain cells, or has money to burn.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:06 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo

I completely agree with you regarding would be buyers of hybrids. I have a friend who's shelling out close to fifty big ones for a new Prius.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:10 pm
I bought a Prius a year ago, and apart from having to wait a while, was treated fairly. And the demand around here was high, believe me.

They won't offer rebates and 0% financing, but that stands to reason...
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:54 pm
Error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend is not "shelling out fifty big ones for a Prius.
He's shelling it out for the Lexus SUV hybrid.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:10 pm
Aha. That makes more sense!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:02 pm
I was going to say...but how much is the same Lexus in non-hybrid form?

Doesn't the govt. give some big tax break if you buy a hybrid though?

I was only a passenger, but the Prius isn't a bad riding car...and the new Accord V6 hybrid has a little more power than the regular V6, I believe. They'll all come down in price, just like electronics when they first come out.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:28 pm
Re: Toyota Hybrids
BillyFalcon wrote:
I see by the news reports that Toyota is really sticking it to buyers of its new hybrids. Waiting lines and two to three thousand surcharges. During the 1970s the "surcharge" was called "dealer reconciliation". Boy, when they got you by the cojonies, they sure like to twist. I think car salesmen rank lowest in respect.

From everything I read and hear, Toyota is having troubles with its hybrids.

Honda is not. Honda dealers apparently anticipated problems when the hybrid civics came out but it's been four or five years and they haven't seen any problems.

Honda overall quality is generally better than that of Toyota. The four cyilindar Civics and Accords have been the best general purpose small cars being sold in America over the last 20 years or so.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
Slappy, there is a federal tax break for buying a hybrid. I think it was $2,000 last year, but I'm not sure what it is this year...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:07 am
Twenty more years and we'll all be driving hybrids.

http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/images/dmfarm.jpg
0 Replies