Check on sanity

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:16 pm
When I was moving in to a new house, we tried to install a fan/light fixture on our own, causing multiple shortcuts that ended in several hundreds of dollars worth of repairs. Bobby and Tony, the brothers electricians then made fun of us. They said next time we should also try brain surgery at home.
I am not discouraged. My next project is my car. My driver side window motor is giving up on me and I want to prove to the world I can change it by myself. I have a manual over 1,000 pages long, unfortunately without a table of contents, ha.
Am I completely nuts to even think about this? How hard is it? Will I have the tools to do it? Apparently I need to find out if the motor and generator (or whatnot, I forgot what's it called exactly) are one unit, or separate from each other (no idea how, but I'll leave that for later). Then find a new one in some junkyard. Then the fun can begin.
Anyone done anything of the sort?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,128 • Replies: 23
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:54 pm
It's not to bad to do. Inside the door itself is a fairly small space so it's a pain in the butt but I replaced mine. The hardest part was figuring out how to get all the interior door padding/trim off without mucking it up.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:00 pm
hmmmm. so do you just pry it out? are there screws? did it take you long? i don't mind tedious miniscule work, i'm patient.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:11 pm
To do things properly you'll need some hand tools. A few standard screwdrivers, open-end wrenches and an allen wrench set which should all be in any standard toolbox - even if you don't already have them you can get them all for less than $20. For the door padding/trim - there are special tools for removing them without doing any damage. If you don't have them you might break a few plastic stand-offs but it can be done if you go slowly with a screwdriver and pry the clips out.

It took me the better part of 4 hours to replace mine since it was a learning experience.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:30 pm
uh-oh, four hours. i can do it, i can do it!!! i got me some scredrivers, wrenches, allen wrench, all sorts of bike tools... but i suppose i should get the right instrument to get the padding off. in auto parts? online? will try the little car parts shop down the road. did you know what you were doing or did you figure it out as you went?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:35 pm
I had a general idea but I didn't have a manual and had never done it before. The only thing I had going for me was that I had a fairly good idea of how the whole thing worked. The only thing I can recommend is that you really pay attention to everything as you disassemble it.

You should be able to get the door trim removal tool at any fairly major auto parts store I'd think. Just don't try to get it the day you want to start working on it. If they don't have it in stock they should be able to order it and have it for you within a few days.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:38 pm
ha. i think i'll take pictures 'before' and 'after'. if nothing else, it can provide for a good chuckle.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:10 pm
Fishing gave you some pretty good advice so far.

Getting the door apart probably will be the hardest part. You usually have to remove the arm rest and maybe the part around the door handle. Basically search for every small little round plastic part you can pry out that might be hiding a screw.

Once you've removed all the the parts that are screwed on start to remove the door panel from the bottom up. If you work your way slowly you should be able to find most of the retaining clips and pop them.

The last door I was in also had a plastic film to help keep moisture out. Then comes the part of finding the bolts that hold in the motor. They can be difficult to get to. If you get the replacement part first you will have an idea of where the bolts should be.

Make sure you swear and yell a lot when trying to get the new motor in place. They make sure there isn't enough room to get your hands in to hold it and some edges can be sharp. You might need some socket extensions to get into the right place too.

A little blood and a lot of frustration and you should have a working motor. Good luck.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:16 pm
blood and pain don't scare me. socket extensions... interesting. no idea what they are, but will look for them.
hmmm, this looks like quite a challenge. i'm excited.

thanks so much for the step by step instructions. i'll print them out and when i do curse and yell, i will keep you in mind :-)
no, really, thanks.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:17 pm
Dag,
Before you start taking apart the door, you might think about replacing the switch. Usually , that is the part that wears out before the motor. Just something to consider.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:18 pm
ummm..... switch....switch <blank stare>
ok, provided i find out what the switch is, how do i find out which is the faulty part in the whole shabang?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:27 pm
The button you push to open the window is the top portion of said switch.

How many doors/windows does yer car have ?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:18 pm
Also you might want to get a chiltons manual. They have pretty good diagrams and step by steps for almost every repair you can do to your car.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:36 pm
Dag, can I come watch?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:48 pm
hehe, sure! chiltons manual - check, tools to remove the padding - check, fiddle with the switch - check.... oh boy, how can a girl remember all that. i'll print the whole thread out and see what happens.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:56 pm
Oh I'm loving this. Wish I could come watch.

Good luck, brave Dag.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:58 pm
ok, now i have a reason to prove you doubters wrong. that's part of what i was looking for. motivation. it's on. i'm doing it!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:04 pm
I think you can do it! I also think it'd be fun to watch. Especially if I brought beer. When will you take up the task? Honestly, I might be able to help. I don't have socket extenders, but I know what they are.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:11 pm
How about sunday afternoon? we'll turn it into a block party. then we can watch a movie and have more beer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:22 pm
hmmmm.... I'll let you know.
0 Replies