Please help!

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:42 pm
Hi. This question actually has several parts. I'm a teenage actress and singer who has performed extensively in New York and New Jersey. I have always looked somewhat young for my age. However, now that I am getting to the 'awkward stage' (16) where I look like neither an adult nor a child, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find work. Most directors of plays and films, even when the main characters are teens (which is somewhat rare), want adults to play the roles because they don't have to pay for tutors or guardians on the set or on tour. Also, most roles in commericals, sitcoms, and even plays are for either young children or adults. I get all A's in school and pursue my music career locally, and I am definitely going to go to college after I graduate. My question is, in the meantime, should I continue to go on auditions in New York, or should I focus on my vocal and dance training and keeping my grades up in honors and AP courses? My second question is unrelated. I am only 5 feet tall; will this hinder me in the business in any way? Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 747 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:32 am
I'm not into the New York theatre scene--but someone here will be.

As for your height--as long as there are vertically challenged leading men you shouldn't worry.
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 02:37 am
You'll be 18 before you know it. It may be tough to hear, but I think it's a blessing to have a little more time to do things like work on your singing/dancing, develop your intellect, and be with your family and friends before you come to a potential fork in the road.

College is a great opportunity and I'm glad you're taking it. If it were me, I'd focus on my formal and self-directed eduaction and take only the auditions that I was really interested in doing, as opposed to auditioning just to audition and get a gig; you'll be doing plenty of that in the future!

And five feet...well...whenever someone tells me they're five feet my mind wanders to the lovely, lovely Elisha Cuthbert...

Good luck!

-m
0 Replies