Your nude bodies will be seen at airport (Fair or not?)

Terry

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:02 pm
The radiation dose is negligible, 0.005 millirem (0.000 05 mSv) per scan which is equivalent to 1/6000 of a medical chest x-ray. It would require 200 screening scans in one year to reach the NCRP's Negligible Individual Dose. You get a higher dose from cosmic radiation every time you fly.

I do not think it would be possible for a screener to get images from the machine to post on the internet unless they took a photo of the screen, and I can't see these machines being used for routine screening of airport passengers unless they blur out private areas or delete skin-scattered images and only show the non-organic items. There would have to be alternatives for Muslims and others whose religious beliefs require modesty.

Why is it OK for medical personnel to see you naked, but not security screeners? Why do some people expose as much skin as is legal and wear skin-tight clothing on the rest, while others conceal virtually everything? Would any of you really want to be the screener who is required to watch a parade of old, fat bodies of the same gender 8 hours a day?
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:06 pm
But even a chest X-ray isn't recomended for a prego woman, would pregnant women be an exception? Would they have to wear the lead cover up going through the line?
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:10 pm
http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00042350.html
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:14 pm
ooohhh, and it seems to be even more dangerous in the first trimestor, alot of women might not even be aware of being prego. So will they have all women take a pg test before being scanned? lol
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:24 pm
Okay, I've given this a LOT of thought.

Here's the solution.

For every nudie screen set up there has to be a second screen. The "screener" see's passengers on his/her screen and the passenger walking through the screening device see's the same of the person doing the screening.

Tit for tat... Or somethin like that.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:28 pm
Terry wrote:
Why is it OK for medical personnel to see you naked, but not security screeners? Why do some people expose as much skin as is legal and wear skin-tight clothing on the rest, while others conceal virtually everything?

I think the issue here is one of power, who gets to look at our physical selves, who gets to decide who can look and who cannot. When we place ourselves under the care of a physician and their assistants we surrender some of our control over who can look in the assumption that we will physically benefit from the results. When we wear tight or revealing clothing we are making statements about ourselves, what we want to reveal. We chose these actions. Airport scanners address our assumptions about mobility. Must we reveal our physical selves to strangers, whether we wish to or not, in order to travel and do the benefits of this loss of control outweigh the personal cost. I have no answer for this but this is the question this thread has raised.
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:22 pm
This type of technology will certainly discourage Muslim women from boarding planes. Maybe a few Muslim men as well. Should these people be given the option of being patted down?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:53 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Must we reveal our physical selves to strangers, whether we wish to or not, in order to travel and do the benefits of this loss of control outweigh the personal cost.

The benefit is knowing that no one on the plane with you has a weapon that would enable them to hijack the plane. What does it cost me for some anonymous screener to see a computer image of my skin? Nothing.

There is nothing inherently wrong with seeing a naked body. It is only the culture in which we are raised that determines which bits of skin must be concealed and decrees that we feel embarrassment if they are revealed.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:03 am
escvelocity wrote:
But even a chest X-ray isn't recomended for a prego woman, would pregnant women be an exception? Would they have to wear the lead cover up going through the line?

Pregnant women should worry about exposing their fetuses to cosmic radiation during the flight, not the backscatter x-ray screening. A typical airline flight exposes you to about .02 mSv/hr from cosmic radiation, depending on altitude, latitude, and solar flares. The screening scan would add only .00005 mSv. In other words, you would get about a thousand times as much extra radiation from a 2 hour flight as from being screened.

To put this in perspective, the limit for radiation to the general public is 1 mSv per year in addition to natural sources. Flight crew members may get several times that, and are advised to fly shorter, lower routes during pregnancy to limit their exposure. An airline flight is roughly equivalent to a chest x-ray.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:06 am
Pepito wrote:
This type of technology will certainly discourage Muslim women from boarding planes. Maybe a few Muslim men as well. Should these people be given the option of being patted down?

Everyone already has the option to request a pat-down and/or a private screening. That won't change.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:13 am
Question: does it make a difference to you whether a man or woman sees your image on the screen?

Are you concerned about people of the opposite sex judging the size of your genitals, or do you object to anyone seeing you naked?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:24 am
Terry wrote:
Question: does it make a difference to you whether a man or woman sees your image on the screen?

Are you concerned about people of the opposite sex judging the size of your genitals, or do you object to anyone seeing you naked?

Judging?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:29 am
Personally, I like the idea of people not getting on my plane with guns or explosives.

The USA has had it far too easy for too long....our security in Australia has been much more strict for many years, while the US has been too much concerned about "the individual's rights" to do anything about protecting your right not to be flown into a building.

It's about time you guys got serious.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:30 am
Serious as a heart attack.

Hair triggers around here.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:35 am
I mean it's about time the airports got serious about security...as opposed to YOU guys Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:54 am
I heard a PBS broadcast on this subject and some of the most enthusiastic proponents of the new technology were airport screeners who are well aware of the possibilities of killing planeloads of people without using metal weapons.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:34 am
How many people are we REALLY taking about here.

The last few plane loads that blew the hell out of stuff did it with box cutters. My point is - we talk about airport security as if it will stop the 1 in a million (or more in the case of 9/11) from slipping through the lines. It wont.

The people talking about 'getting serious' won't stop a serious terrorist.

I agree with Ben Frankling on this one. "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Look at the progression - x-rays to pat downs to take off the shoes - to bomb sniffing - to hands against the wall - to dogs sniffing our bags to naked asses walking through the airport.

What's next - naked flights. There is a point of diminishing returns - we are there now.

TTF
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:49 am
Liberty is at stake because a bored securityperson will see your naked body flash by for a few secs, as one out of a thousand that day?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:03 pm
nimh wrote:
Liberty is at stake because a bored securityperson will see your naked body flash by for a few secs, as one out of a thousand that day?

I do not think the issue is Liberty, at least directly, it is power relations. The right to "look" is a form of control and authority. We may stand naked before the Lord on judgment Day, but must we stand naked before the FAA to fly to Cleveland?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:35 pm
Acquiunk--

I don't completely share you point of view, but you phrase your point of view magnificently.
0 Replies