The Monastary

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 04:47 am
There has been a documentary series on tv in the UK called The Monastary.
5 men from the outside spend 4 weeks learning the ways of the Benedictine monks.

Im in 2 minds about monkdom/nuns.

In one way Im VERY impressed by their dedication to this subject, totally changing their way of life, living by certain rules like not talking for 18 hours a day, praying 6 times a day, studying for hours, hours of physicallabour.The monks came across as very serene, knowledgable, not isolated from the real world, they had alot to offer these 5 men.

But on the other hand

How selfish is it to dedicate your life to such a thing!!!Few people have jobs they love but this seems the ultimate in immersing yourself in devotion to the subject.
I have no idea how accomodation/their church/food etc is paid for.
There is the possiblity they may be studying/praying to something that may not be real.
Im sure Il go to hell for writing all this.
I know this sounds awful as they are not doing anything bad but its hard to describe why Im annoyed, but basically they mainly study and worship all day!!

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 697 • Replies: 3
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:12 am
I agree with you mt (as usual)...I was 'educated' by nuns in both my primary school and then a convent. I was always cynical about their role in society. Even though they were not a cloistered order, I remember when their habits changed to a 'more modern' look, they were most upset, I see it as escape from the world...yes I admire their committment to a faith, but if you leave the religion out...it's the perfect life!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:13 am
mt, are you going to tune into big brother?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:24 am
Christ!! I hate big brother.Why do you ask?

My old boss had religious parents and they tried to force religion on him.He owned a shop and he wouldnt even allow posters to be put up in the window to advertise religious events/meetings.
Sometimes it can really screw people up.
0 Replies