Cleaning Oil Paintings

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:35 am
Hi,

What can I use or buy to clean an oil painting without damaging it. It also has a layer of varnish.

Thanks,

AE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 6
No top replies

painter in Italy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:36 am
cleaning an oil painting
How old is the piece? Is there flaking varnish or paint? Can you post a close up image of the condition of the piece?

Thanks,
shandine
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:40 am
Wow, a message from somebody called 'painter in Italy'.
AngeliqueEast, youve landed on your feet there.

Id suggest having it done professionally.
0 Replies

painter in Italy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:48 am
cleaning an oil painting
Hey, material girl... We are professionals and I get Paid for Doin' This! Very Happy

Edit: Moderator: link removed
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:53 am
I didnt mean to imply you wernt.

Im humungously jealous of you 1)if your a professional painter 2)if your in Italy.
0 Replies

painter in Italy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 01:22 pm
not an artist
My husband's the artist and he is the one in Italy (dang it!) but I do eveything else related to art.

By the way, he said the question about how to clean a painting is not a simple one. If you have an image of the piece AngeliqueEast, he said he would advise you.

Best Wishes,
Shandine
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 03:26 am
Painter in Italy,

It's not an old painting. It's some of my own, I just want them clean before I start taking pics of them. Dust, and sometimes grease gets on them (especially those in the kitchen). I don't want them to get too dirty. I usually wipe them gently with a moist soft rag. I was just wondering if there is something safer I could use.

Thank you for answering my post.

AE
0 Replies