Having an Epiphany -- What the Hell do I do????

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:50 pm
I just realized I am at a crossroads -- I guess I'm at the same crossroads that everyone reaches at some point in their life -- whether they realize or not. Excuse me a minute, I've got to turn off the TV -- I've got the movie channel on -- and they're playing a Doris Day movie. If there's anything you don't need at a time like this -- it's Doris Day!

Doris Day could make you feel suicidal at a time like this!!!

So here's the crossroads: Should I be a saint or a sinner? Which is the way to go???

Does anybody really know?? Does anybody really put any thought into this?? Or do they just live it -- without really thinking about it?

Saints live longer. Just look at the pope. Sinners always die young -- or relatively young. Just look at most rock stars. There's a reason popes outlive rock stars -- waaaaay outlive them.

Have you ever known anybody who led the saintly life -- seriously followed the righteous path? Coz' I have. It's amazing when you look into their clear eyes -- they have such clear eyes -- and a real glow about them.

Sinners? It's written on them, too. They're usually bloated, have tired eyes, a whole tired, weary look about them......However good they looked when they where young....there's no Dorian Gray thing happening for them....there's no portrait hidden away in the attic -- they are the portrait. Every drink, every late night, every gluttonous meal, the promiscuity....every indulgence is there on their face and on their body.

Haven't you seen sinners in the late stages of their of lives -- their last gasp? They look like hell. It's like they can hardly wait to shed their bodies.

Saints look better and live longer. So I'm thinking -- I should go with saints.

The only thing is .....I don't know if I can really make it as a saint. I don't know if I have the stamina.

And I'm afraid the saints will bore me to death. Can I sue them for that? If they kill me with second-hand boredom? People sue if they die from second hand smoke, don't they?

I'm a pretty good person. I'm not perfect, but I'm pretty damn good.

But if I try to be a saint? It seems like such a good thing to go for -- as long as it doesn't drive me crazy.

Oh, I don't know. I was having a pretty good day. I don't know what brought all this on, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Do you have any thoughts? At all? About anything?

If you do, then go ahead and post something here. If you don't -- then just go to bed -- it's what the saints would do. They'd be in bed by now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,791 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:59 pm
Lol - these saintsd and sinnerd are very christian sounding - go Buddhist - take the Middle Path.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:16 am
The first thing to realize is that the choice is either-or. You must choose saint or sinner and stick with it, in every aspect of your life, and be nothing but that. Carry an identification badge too, so people will know.

The second thing to realize is that you must ask the external world to be your judge. It is other people who decide what saint and sinner mean. They know best, and have the ultimate responsibility for judging your life. Your life is not in your hands. So the decision really should be based on the people whom you are trying to get in with. Do you want approval from the pope, or from impressive bad guys? Who would you rather beg, pay off, or blame?

The third thing to realize is that you must make the decision completely and fully, before you go on to the next thing on your schedule today. It must be decided once and for all, all at once, or you won't even know which side of your toast to butter.

With that in mind, good luck and enjoy.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:03 am
i think you should be the patron saint of sinners
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:19 am
dlowan wrote:
Lol - these saintsd and sinnerd are very christian sounding - go Buddhist - take the Middle Path.

follow the bunny, the bunny knows
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:30 am
I found a flaw in your theory.

Mick Jagger. Any idea how old he is??? Looks pretty doggone good for 60+ if you ask me.

The key, I suppose is to sin like Mick, not Keith. Though I'm not sure there's a difference. But, just in case you're leaning towards "sinner" Mick would make a good idol.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:29 am
Stray Cat:-

Just toss a coin.It doesn't make much difference anyway.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:36 am
i.e. the saints and sinners thing.

What do you want on your tombstone? Led a long life and died after a valiant struggle with cancer?

Or........

Drank so much liquor, smoked so much dope partied so hard and got so much pussy it killed him?

Door number two Monty....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:38 am
You ate the brown acid, didn't you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:41 am
yes, and that's what's responsible for my amazing clarity of thinking....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:44 am
"It's all fun and games until someone gives you window pane."
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:44 am
squinney wrote:
Mick Jagger. Any idea how old he is??? Looks pretty doggone good for 60+ if you ask me.

Squinney! "Mick Jagger" and "look good" in the same sentence! Are you mad woman?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:50 am
Heeven - LOL! No, I can't move like that, or run around for that long at 42. So my reference was to his excellent physical condition. Perhaps I could have been more clear about that.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:51 am
Phew! TG for that, I thought you had lost your mind. Carry on!
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:37 pm
hmmm....I always heard "Only the good die young"

Didn't Jesus "die" pretty young?

Seems like humans like to snuff out people if they are too good. Check out some of the people that have been assassinated. Seems like many times they were trying to do good things... well we won't get into a debate over what is good here.

Perhaps if you are really bad, you get to live longer on earth, to get more punishment.

Besides, as my friend said: do you really want to live to be 110, and all your friends are dead, hell even your kids are dead, and you've had all these ailments for years, most likely.

Hmmm...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:34 pm
Thanks for all these posts! You guys are great. I don't what brought on that epiphany last night....but it was actually sort of fun having it.

Your posts have given some things to think about.

Don't know if I think Mick Jagger really looks all that great though, unless you compare him to Keith Richards. Richards is a good example of what I was talking about, how the sinner wears that lifestyle. Looks like he died a few years ago, but they forgot to bury him. Unless, along with all his other addictions, he's added embombing fluid onto the list, and that's what's keeping him somewhat preserved.

I guess I'll struggle with this for a while, but basically follow the good path -- with maybe a few ungraceful slips along the way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:38 pm
It's all a matter of perspective - just look at the first two posts to this thread. Who's to say what a sin is? A buddhist? A pope? The crack dealer down on the corner?
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:52 am
Re: Having an Epiphany -- What the Hell do I do????
Stray Cat

I suggest you begin being a sinner. a Great sinner. No need to kill anybody, or to sell drugs to kids, but for the rest be a total and fundamentalist sinner. Like a mission: wake up in the morning thinking: I am already late for my first sin of the day.

Then, in a few years, when you become tired of sinning, unable to take any pleasure from it, then it's time to become a saint. And a lot easier.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:56 pm
LOL!!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:00 pm
One of my favorite sayings...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways - champagne in one hand & strawberries in the other - body totally used up & worn out, screaming... ****, what a ride!
0 Replies