poisson distribution

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 01:08 am
The mean number of patients admitted per day to an emergency room of a small hospital is 2.5.The distribution assumes a poisson distribution.
1.What is the probability that out of the 25 students,20 would have had nasal allergies?
2.What is the probability that not more that 3 students would have had nasal allergies?
3. If in a given day there are only 4 beds available for the patients in the emergency room,what is the probability that the hospital will NOT have enough beds to accommodate new admissions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 464 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 08:11 am
@judith Chemutai,
Questions 1 and 2 need information not provided.

3. Find a Poisson calculator on the Internet. I used this one. X in this case is 4, the expected value (average rate of success) is 2.5. Plug that into the calculator and the chance of exceeded 4 is 10.9%.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 10:25 am
@engineer,
Engineer is wrong. In the poisson distribution all you need is the mean, and the number. This information is provided for questions 1 and 2.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 11:44 am
@maxdancona,
You can answer the emergency room question because you know how many beds on average are filled. I don't see how you can answer questions 1 and 2 without knowing on average how many students have allergies.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 03:29 pm
@engineer,
Sorry Engineer, you are right and I am wrong.

I was responding while thinking about the interesting properties of the poisson distribution. Of course you are right that there is not enough information about allergy rates.
0 Replies