How is that black hole pic NASA scientists took and published on April 10, 2019 going to benefit us?

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 09:49 pm
Hi. I am sure folks here recall hearing about that black hole pic NASA scientists took and published back on April 10, 2019:

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/2319/first-image-of-a-black-hole/
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/black-hole-image-makes-history/
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7372
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/plunging-into-the-physics-of-the-black-hole-image/

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/s36/MAvericker/1/f9350552-a472-4bfd-8b10-44bfa0146a05-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

According to what I read online, this pic proves that Einstein's theory of relativity is correct.

There's lots more links to articles about the pic out there.

How is this pic going to benefit us in the long run?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,627 • Replies: 10
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 12:42 am
@JGoldman10,
We don't fully know how this will help us in the long run, the same way that people didn't know that the work of Charles Babbage and his difference engine would lead to you and me talking on the internet today.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 11:01 pm
I asked the topic question here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190621050641AAMCzez

The best answer given was:

"It wasn't taken by NASA, it was taken by a group called the Event Horizon Telescope. NASA just published reports about it, like any other scientific organization, they found this fascinating too, but they weren't directly involved.

As for how the picture will help us in the long run, it'll increase the power and resolution of our telescopes, and make it easier to take very long distance pictures of objects without having to build ever more massive telescopes, when we could instead just combine a bunch of smaller scopes together into a virtual array.

It also proves General Relativity right, yet again. Which means that our understanding of physics is on the right track. The more we understand physics, the more we can manipulate it to do things useful to us (i.e. technology)."
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 11:02 pm
If you read the full story you begin to realize that this picture is drawn by a computer. Well, I want you to know that somebody had to tell the computer what to draw, so the picture is exactly whatever somebody ASSUMED it should be. Scientists ASSUMED it would be a picture of a black hole and they instructed the computer to draw what they ASSUMED a black hole should look like.

ALL that work and they haven't learned anything from it. All they have is an expensive picture of their ASSUMPTIONS. There are other things in space that could have given the same picture, but they refuse to consider those things because their minds are already made up.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 02:57 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

If you read the full story you begin to realize that this picture is drawn by a computer. Well, I want you to know that somebody had to tell the computer what to draw, so the picture is exactly whatever somebody ASSUMED it should be. Scientists ASSUMED it would be a picture of a black hole and they instructed the computer to draw what they ASSUMED a black hole should look like.

ALL that work and they haven't learned anything from it. All they have is an expensive picture of their ASSUMPTIONS. There are other things in space that could have given the same picture, but they refuse to consider those things because their minds are already made up.

I don't get that from the links. Agreed, it isn't a snapshot, but there's a lot between a simple photograph and something just made up.
Jewels Vern

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 09:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Black hole theory violates several known laws, one of them being the law of gravity. Newton published his shell theorem showing that gravity in a solid sphere decreases to zero at the center. That is because all the mass is pulling away from the center, so the net effect is zero. So gravity can't build up the way the theory says it can. Another part of the theory is that electrons and protons can be squeezed together to make neutrons. I am told that has been observed, but I have not verified those observations, and I very doubt that they were brought about by gravity. Third, a nucleus can only exist with certain combinations of protons and neutrons called islands of stability, and as the nuclei get larger the islands of stability get farther apart. If a collection is off by even one particle it flies apart instantly. So neutronium is impossible.

To top it off, science is defined by the scientific method, the first step of which is to observe something. A black hole by definition can not be observed, so it is not science: it is fiction.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 10:25 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:
Black hole theory violates several known laws, one of them being the law of gravity. Newton published his shell theorem showing that gravity in a solid sphere decreases to zero at the center. That is because all the mass is pulling away from the center, so the net effect is zero. So gravity can't build up the way the theory says it can. Another part of the theory is that electrons and protons can be squeezed together to make neutrons. I am told that has been observed, but I have not verified those observations, and I very doubt that they were brought about by gravity. Third, a nucleus can only exist with certain combinations of protons and neutrons called islands of stability, and as the nuclei get larger the islands of stability get farther apart. If a collection is off by even one particle it flies apart instantly. So neutronium is impossible.

To top it off, science is defined by the scientific method, the first step of which is to observe something. A black hole by definition can not be observed, so it is not science: it is fiction.

Nothing to do with what I said. What I said to you is that I do not see from any of the links that the scientists simply made up the photo.
0 Replies

1andonlybillyshears

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 02:28 am
"To top it off, science is defined by the scientific method, the first step of which is to observe something. A black hole by definition can not be observed, so it is not science: it is fiction."

Precisely. And even if we could observe the phenomenon we would need to formulate a hypothesis, cause and effect, and then go ahead and test by systematic experimentation. To invoke proof in a scientific context with this orange blur is absurd. Pure science fiction, just get Christopher Nolan next time to do some interstellar esque black hole imagery.

URL: https://able2know.org/topic/520852-1
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 02:53 am
But the question was how this benefits us. It makes it appear that astronomers are doing something, which makes it easier to get more funding so they don't have to sit beside the street with signs saying "PLEASE HELP."

Dark matter was invented by Ian Oort in 1932 and there has been zero progress in astronomy since then. Almost 90 years. Even astrology has progressed a little in that time.
justafool44

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 07:23 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Dark Matter and Dark Energy are math fudges to force a clearly wrong result from a clearly wrong theory, to seem to match observations.

IF 93% of the universe was undetectable, invisible and only a Math Fudge, then we can get to keep our obviously wrong cosmological theories!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 12:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
Proving?
So many peoples' careers/livelihoods DEPEND on 'Dead-End' data... They must be both excited and relieved.

More 'Spin', perhaps?

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies