To incinerate in smoke.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,581 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 12:37 am
You know how some poems the words don't sink in cos of the subject matter? This is one of them... it's kinda like looking through a fog... i think it's a good poem... but i have some issues with suicide and child molestation so i've kinda zoned out... and i don't think i could bear to read it again Sad
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 07:48 am
neologist, I've often wondered whether there is any subject that is taboo to poetry. I think you've shown that however uncomfortable it makes us, poetry can truly be about anything at all.

To most people nothing is more obscene than child molestation. And you've shown no sympathy to Torchy. In fact by calling him "poor Torchy" you emphasise that death would have been an easy option for him.

As Bekaboo says, not an easy poem.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:13 am
I knew Torchy before he was committed to the Special Commitment Center at McNeil Island Prison in Washington. His professed remorse for his crimes was accompanied by a fatalistic attitude. He didn't believe change was possible, so refused to try. He'll be locked up for life and should be. Nevertheless, it is a terrible waste.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:08 pm
I think that writing about a subject like this would only make the writing easier, because even without eloquence the poem may still have an effect.

That you knew the man makes it much more interesting, I think...what do you mean by "a waste"? A waste of what? Do you mean a waste of resources to keep him alive?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:44 pm
There was a time when he was a young person when he had the possibilities of a productive life; yet his life wound up in the toilet. I'm not an advocate of the death penalty for anyone, much less for Torchy.

And you're right. It was something I just had to write, if that's another way of saying it was easy.
0 Replies