when they took over

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 05:28 pm
Does "when they took over" mean "when the pro wrestling people took the control of TV screens"? I don't think I've got it right. What does it mean?

Context:

The reason why Facebook is really interesting in the pro wrestling world is because professional wrestling has always been at the forefront of every technological shift When national television first started with the DuMont network back in the '40s, pro wrestling was one of the first things that was on because it was already there, already being taped. And it was easy to see from your couch on a tiny TV screen. They were the first - you know, they were one of the first big forces on cable television when they took over. I think that running a important weekly show on Facebook, you know, might be the next big thing.

Source: After 25 Years, Taking A Look At The Impact Of 'Raw' on WWE
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580433636/after-25-years-taking-a-look-at-the-impact-of-raw-on-wwe

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 798 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:44 pm
@oristarA,
It's in reference to cable television's dominance over broadcast television in content and viewership.
oristarA

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 10:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
But "cable television" is singular, not plural (they).
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 03:26 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

But "cable television" is singular, not plural (they).

He's referring to everyone and everything involved with cable television.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:04 pm
@oristarA,
take·o·ver
noun: take-over
an act of assuming control of something, especially the buying out of one company by another.
"they sought a controlling interest rather than a takeover"
synonyms: gaining of control, change of ownership, purchase, acquisition, buying;
~ google.com

The verb form is two words: "take over". And the "especially" does not apply. The phrase can refer to any situation, such as a computer taking over some function formerly performed by people, or a population of animals taking over an area formerly occupied by other animals.
0 Replies