Best bass player in all of rock, all-time

panzade

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 05:49 pm
@McTag,
I'm not familiar with Cort basses but I found a couple for sale in Musician;s Friend

Metallic Red
Cort Curbow 4-String Bass
The carved-top body is made of luthite and features an extended upper horn for strapped balance and a deep lower cutaway for unrestricted access to...
Price: $357.50 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $550.00
Rating: Overall: 8.67

I prefer wood bodies rather than Luthite...whatever that is...i think you get a warmth and sustain with wood that can't be matched

The price is ok though in the States Fender Bass prices are very depressed and you can find them in the paper for $150 and up
McTag

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
@panzade,

Thanks, Panzade.

The one I tried in the shop was £175, or $262

I looked on the Web: Cort are a big Korean concern who make guitars for various other manufacturers as well as their own brand.

It was a nice instrument. I'll go back for a second look.
0 Replies

alabhaois

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@kickycan,
Thunderfingers. The Ox. The Quiet One.

John Entwistle has been called many things in his career, but the one thing
he's been called more than any other is this: The greatest bass player in
the history of rock.

Longtime bedrock of The Who, Entwistle earned the title by changing
radically the role of the bass in the music, and attacking the instrument
with a skill still unmatched in the 35 years since he tossed off the first
rock bass solo in "My Generation."
panzade

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 01:53 pm
@alabhaois,
Welcome to a2k. You made a good case.
0 Replies

Hoagy Subhero

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:23 pm
Some great choices here, though I think Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel) is right at the top of this list. Listen to his work on Gabriel's "Us".
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:33 pm
donald duck dunn
Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:56 pm
@dyslexia,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecrK3eWQ98c&feature=related
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:43 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
donald duck dunn

http://staxrecords.free.fr/dunn380.jpg

Outtasight! I'll never forget my pilgrimage to the Stax studio museum.
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=362&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=1425732
0 Replies

cmr385ss

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 12:01 am
My vote is another vote for Paul McCartney. NOBODY in the rock world played anything like the way he played at the time the Beatles changed the rock music world. The only guys you could say played exceptionally well BEFORE him were from the Motown world (such as Jamerson) or maybe some jazz bassists. Then he arrived with the complex melodies, counter-arrangements, chord-change overlaps, and then making the bass into a lead instrument ... all while bringing the instrument to the forefront as a front-man, and singing lead vocals at the same time. EVERYTHING in the rock bass world started happening AFTER he put down that amazing groundwork for others to follow. Soon after, we began noticing other bassist starting to emerge, such as John Entwistle, Jack Casady, Jack Bruce (although he himself was an accomplished jazz bassist already) making it big in the rock scene by following in McCartney's footsteps. He also was a master at know exactly what to play and what NOT to play - not just fast, overbearing notes as some of these so called "great" players do on these lists. Those bassist should be in the top of the "fastest" bassists lists (if there are such a thing), not necessarily the "greatest." For proof of McCartney's mastery of the instrument, just listen with a good pair of headphones to any of the following: "Hey Bulldog," "And Your Bird Can Sing," "Rain," "Paperback Writer," "Come Together, " "I Want You," "Here Comes The Sun," "Taxman," "Please Please Me," "Don't Let Me Down," "I Saw Her Standing There" "Something" "It's All Too Much," etc. etc. Sting calls McCartney "The Guvner," Chris Squire calls him "My number one influence," Jack Bruce calls him "one of the top 3 bassists ever, in the short list with myself and Jamerson." Says here McCartney IS the top bassist ever - for his making the instrument noticed, innovation in technique and tone, mastery of timing ... and all of this while singing (live) at the same time and being one of the greatest songwriting composers ever, too. 'Nuff said.
JPB

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 01:49 pm
Was just watching this for the umpteenth time and thought of this thread.

Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten
panzade

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 01:59 pm
@cmr385ss,
gotta agree
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 01:59 pm
@JPB,
Yowzer!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:00 pm

~ entwistle, ca 1987, impressing the hell outta meatloaf
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 04:33 pm
@cmr385ss,
Impresses me too, the way Paul McCartney can sing while he plays- often a quite different musical line or a complementary rhythm.

Sting can do that too. Talented bastards.
panzade

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 05:10 pm
@McTag,
I recently started playing bass again;with a new group. I can sing and play a straight bass line simultaneously but any Latin type rhythm with a hesitation and I'm worthless.
It's definitely a function of splitting your brain abilities
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 10:46 pm
Forever ago on this thread I made a call for 'distinctive' over 'best'.

Percy Jones qualifies - instantly recognisable on 70s Eno albums

e.g.

McTag

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 02:24 am
@hingehead,

A very good obituary for Jack Bruce appeared in The Guardian yesterday.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/26/jack-bruce
panzade

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 08:04 am
@McTag,
Thanks and a tip of the hat.
He'll be missed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 11:27 am
Had to revive this topic for Maurice Gibb.

Not necessarily the best, per se, but definitely making himself heard on this track.
panzade

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 02:21 pm
@jespah,
Don’t know. Sounds more like one of those 2 keyboardists is playing a synth bass jes.