Corn is the big heartbreaker

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 09:49 pm
What does "Corn is the big heartbreaker" mean? Does it mean "Corn is the big problem to categorize"?

Conext:
Is rice a vegetable or grain?
Rice is not a vegetable. Wheat is not a vegetable. ... Corn is the big heartbreaker of plants, because it's either a grain or a vegetable depending on what state it's in. It's the switch hitter of a vegephobe's world.

Source:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 921 • Replies: 14
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 10:08 pm
@oristarA,
It doesn't make sense. Maybe they meant to say "dealbreaker."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 10:21 pm
@oristarA,
It means that since it can be either a vegetable or a grain, it upsets people who don't like vegetables. They can eat and enjoy corn when it is in grain form; yet, it is still a vegetable. How can they be eating a vegetable when they don't like them? Hence, a heartbreaker.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 08:18 am
I'd be interested in the source, which was omitted.

Well nevermind (kinda) because when I just googled "is corn a grain" (which it is) you come up with a lot of nonsense about how it is grain, vegetable and fruit simultaneously.

The funniest part was saying how it's a vegetable because any part of a plant which is edible is a veg. Utterly false. If that were the case, then wheat, rice, oats, millet and so forth would all be vegetables.

The other nonsense is that it's a fruit because it "has a seed" Jesus wept.

The answer is - Corn is a Grain.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Maize-teosinte.jpg/220px-Maize-teosinte.jpg
For Gods sake, just look at it. It was cultivated and developed from a grass.
No amount of circular logic internet entries about how you eat corn on the cob as a vegetable so that makes it a vegetable changes that fact.

As in, avocados and olives are forever fruits, even though not sweet.

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 08:21 am
@chai2,
but youre breakin my heart Fredo.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 08:42 am
@farmerman,
Very Happy

I know, the truth hurts.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 08:49 am
@farmerman,
Btw farmer, you know that jokey thing people say about macaroni and cheese being a vegetable?

Within the last year, I met someone who said that, I think while they were tucking into a 3 meat barbeque plate (with a peach cobbler as desert, so you know, they were getting a fruit in there too)

When I did the obligatory chuckle about the mac and cheese comment, he have me this weird look, like he didn't understand why I laughed.

He honestly thought that because macaroni was made from wheat, and wheat was "obviously a vegetable" (he based this on the "animal, vegetable or mineral"line of thought) that he was adding a healthy addition to his meal.

We talked about this during the ambulance ride to the ER.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 08:53 am
@chai2,
When I lived in Okeechobee (speckled perch capital of the world) Fla, I had someone tell me, serious as a heart attack, that they were a vegetarian because they only ate chicken.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 09:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

but youre breakin my heart Fredo.

I got a plane waiting for you.
I know it was you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 11:15 am
@chai2,
he forgot the ketchup. Thats a veggie innit?
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 12:57 pm
@farmerman,
Well Ronald Reagan seemed to think so as far as school lunches.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

he forgot the ketchup. Thats a veggie innit?

I don't know if I told this story here or not, so here goes....

Last time I was in Mexico, I ordered a pizza for delivery. I made a point to ask for mas salsa. I really like extra sauce.

So when it arrived, the guy handed me the pie, and a little bag of I didn't know what.
When I went to the kitchen, I saw that it contained 2 ketchup packets. Laughing

I later asked an amiga "como se dice ketchup in espanol", and she said "cat-soop"

So I asked her how I would go about asking for extra sauce on a pizza and she said....."you don't"

I actually asked her this when we had just flaired up a conversation with a stranger from Mexico City, nice guy. He agreed with her assessment 100%.
"No.....you would definately not do that. You take it how it comes out."

From my growing experience, that answer makes perfect sense now.
Yep. You take things as they come out.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 04:15 pm
@chai2,
So they wouldnt put anchovies on top would they??

Do they have a pizza with mole sauce?

Jewels Vern

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 07:40 pm
@oristarA,
This is an example of people talking without knowing what they are saying. A more common discussion is whether tomatoes are fruit or vegetable. A vegetable is anything that grows out of the ground, and a fruit is any part of it that carries seed. In loose jargon, "fruit" can be anything that a human considers useful.

Grain is any cereal (where the seed grows outside the rest of the plant), or anything with a certain texture. But strawberry seeds grow outside the plant and that is not considered grain.

"Corn is the big heartbreaker" is an attempt at "flowery phraseology". It doesn't need to need to have any particular meaning.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 07:53 pm
@farmerman,
Oh you can order the pizza with toppings. I think it's the extra sauce that blew their minds....

This particular pizza came from a restaurant on the ancha called Franciscos.
I've eaten there twice, and they have pretty good Italian. In the pizza section of the menu, they are all listed with their toppings for that particular version.

So, now that I think about it, you wouldn't really order a pizza let's say "with onions and mushrooms"

You read the menu, pick out the version that comes closest to what you want, and go with that. If you don't like it, pick it off. But it is what it is. You ordered the xyz pizza, that's what you're going to get.

Getting away from pizza, you can order a meal, lets say a salad and tell them you don't want the green peppers, and they won't put it on. Or an entree without something you don't like. But it seems that's about as far as they can compromise. The mindset, which isn't bad or good, it's just the culture, is "well you ordered this, if you didn't want this, you should have ordered something else. There's plenty of other things you would like."

The key takeaway is flexibility, on the gringos part.

I remember ordering a hamburger at a nice place. I was asked how I wanted it, so I said "medium rare"
It came looking beautiful on the outside, but upon biting into it, it was raw.

I asked to have it cooked more and the waitress took it away, but not before honestly staring at me in puzzlement for a few seconds like "You said medium rare. This is medium rare. Crazy gringa.....and on top of all this, you wanted ice" Don't get me started on ice. Laughing Even though in the US I would be considered to be someone who wants very minimal ice in their drink, there, it's like a person has a mental disorder if they expect more than 2 cubes.
I get that though. Electricity is really cheap there, until you cross a certain level, then the price skyrockets. Restaurants are very aware of their refrigerations costs.

As far as mole, oh Christ I hate mole. Especially when it has chocolate in it.
0 Replies