Help needed about Gustave Courbet

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:55 am
Hi there.

I am writing an essay about Courbet's statement which was said in 1861 dec 25 where he makes the 'statement on realism', 'art cannot be taught'.

If any one can help with this i would be most obliged as I am struggling.

I need to know what media was it published? Was it a speech, Book etc?

And basically any other help would be fantastic.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 648 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:27 am
I found two reference to Courbet's writing.

One is a quote from an uncited source: "in our so very civilized society it is necessary for me to live the life of a savage. I must be free even of governments. The people have my sympathies, I must address myself to them directly"

Most articles on him reference "The Realist Manifesto" which was a exhibition catalogue he produced to accompany his "protest exhibit" set up in a tent outside the 1855 Universal Exhibition.

Since this manifesto was his declaration of principals regarding realism I imagine the quote came from there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:50 am
Boomer, that sounds interesting. I might even look that up myself - I like Courbet's paintings. Welcome to a2k, louisedean...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:07 pm
I didn't have a lot of luck finding out much about the exhibit while trying to track down this quote, osso, but I agree it does sound interesting.

I thought it was funny that we covered the famous Salon de Refuse in art history but no mention was made of earlier protest exhibits by artists.

Now I'm wondering if there are more.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:29 pm
I deny that art can be taught, or, in other words, maintain that art is completely individual, and that the talent of each artist is but the result of his own inspiration and his own study of past tradition. (Gustave Courbet)

Other quotes :

Gustave Courbet

There are many other writings about Courbet but mainly in French.
I'm trying to find translations...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:49 am
Great quote!
Francis wrote:
I deny that art can be taught, or, in other words, maintain that art is completely individual, and that the talent of each artist is but the result of his own inspiration and his own study of past tradition. (Gustave Courbet)

Thats a great quote!
0 Replies