Is This Sentence Grammatically Correct?

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 02:13 am
This sentence is really long and I was wondering if anyone knew if it is grammatically correct. If anyone has any suggestions I would be super grateful!

"The system will calculate things like the time of the match so the match may start off slow and then get faster toward the middle, have a break after some awesome move combinations, and then pick back up to finish the match."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 433 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 07:36 am
@nicoleitig,
I suggest "...time of the match, so 'it' may start off slow, then get faster..."
(comma after first "match", changed second "match" to "it", comma after "slow", omitted "and" before "then get faster")
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 08:03 am
@nicoleitig,
I would just add another comma, in bold.

Quote:
The system will calculate things like the time of the match, so the match may start off slow and then get faster toward the middle, have a break after some awesome move combinations, and then pick back up to finish the match.

Why did you use inverted commas, is it just because you're quoting someone else, or is it because it's direct speech?

If it is direct speech then don't waste your time stressing over it being grammatically correct because very little spoken English is.

Something can be grammatically correct yet still sound weird and jarring to a native speaker. If you're studying English as a foreign language you should spend as much time thinking about what sounds natural as you do on correct grammar.

Lots of colloquial, natural sounding English, is extremely ungrammatical.
0 Replies

coa999

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 08:17 pm
@nicoleitig,
it's way too wordy.
I'd split it into several sentences.
Some parts also are confusing.

"The system will calculate things like the match's timing. This includes starting so game off slow, getting faster in the middle, and having a break for some awesome combinations. It will then conclude to pick up the match at a faster speed."
0 Replies