Kath & Kim on UK TV .... Any responses?

msolga

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:58 pm
So Kath 'n' Kim have made it to UK TV.
Did any of our UK A2Kers see it? If so, what did you think? Did you need a translator to understand what was going on? Laughing
It's a smash hit in Oz. I, however, have "mixed feelings" about the series ....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,010 • Replies: 6
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:23 am
I watched it msolga...my daughter and I were eagerly anticipating it, as the programme had been trailered to death over here. Mixed feelings too, it was very funny in parts...but not consistantly so, I will have a look at the second to give it a fair chance. I wanted to like it more than I did. Didn't really need an aussie interpreter - due to Home and Away, Neighbours et al, and continual Kylie.

Talking of Kylie, she's not really my cup of tea...her shameless courting of the the 'pink' pound annal. Her fan base seems to consist of small children and gay men. My brother, however, is gay and he can't stand her!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:30 am
That's interesting, smorgs. I feel much the same way: I want to like it but can't really. Something to do with the humour being based on a patronising attitude to the "great unwashed". It rather offends me, considering neither Jane nor Gina are of the riff-raff themselves. You know what I mean?

Kylie. Well, what can you say? She'll keep at it as long as there's a dollar to be made. I'm sure she's a very nice person, though. We're told this all the time. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:42 am
Is Kylie as big in Oz as she is in the UK?

A bloke I work with recently went to see her at the Arena in Manchester (yes he's gay) and just wont shut up about her. She maybe the 'pixie' of pop, but she has precious little talent, doesn't write her own material and has that awful little girl on helium voice. I don't like to rubbish a woman making her way in a male dominated world...but I just don't think of her as a woman...more like a little boy I'm afraid, and not at all sexy. She is marketed perfectly though.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:46 am
Yes, Kylie is MUCH LOVED in Oz, smorgs. Folk in the music industry adore her. Apparently she's very nice & extremely decent. She has lots of fans, big sell-out concerts, but I'm not really sure why. Perhaps it's because I'm not gay or a teenage girl? Confused
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:54 am
Not teenage girls...they seem to go for generic young guys of dubious character and 'falling down' trousers...

you have to be pre-pubescent to be a Kylie fan :wink:

Back to Kath N Kim...I will give it another go - but I don't think it's for me. Probably be out of step with this one too (like Kylie) I've a feeling it will take off here!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:00 am
I tried with K & K, really I did! For starters it was on the ABC, which deserves all the support it can get in these beleaguered (political) times. But as it worked out, my support was not essential. It was a run-away hit!

No wonder I'm not a Kylie fan! I'm not pre-pubescent either! That explains it! Laughing
0 Replies