Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:19 am
cjhsa wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

Of course your idea would be simple if a global authority like the UN had the kind of authority countries like the US object to....

As long as the UN continues to not only allow rogue nations to join but to serve on high level committees, that will never happen. For now, the UN is nothing but a tool for jerks like Amallamasdingdong to get airtime. And guess who pays for most of it? I do - as does every American. We put our money where our mouth is.

The opposition is not motivated by that at all. The opposition is motivated by the fact that nations like ours already enjoy more authority than we would if there were a universal authority and are not likely to give it up without a fight.

That's understandable, but is the real impediment. And your facts are wrong about much of the rest of your UN opinions (to start with just one, no the US does not pay for most of it even when we make our payments).

Quote:
WARNING: HSUS WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING!!!

cjhsa, you aren't nearly as simple minded as this. It's just not possible. I don't agree with your demonstratably false generalization and that makes me a member of a group I have no association with? On another thread you call someone a vegan who isn't a vegan.

Your arguments for hunting resemble a man swinging a bat in the dark at anything, real or imagined, that moves.

I have no problem per se with hunting. I have a problem with your bad arguments. I think arguments and reactions like yours are the biggest threat to hunting there is because of how obviously flawed they are.

Defending your position is better done by more reason and less knee-jerk emotion.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:51 am
Your sudden appearance here and apparent knowledge of my posting would indicate to me you have returned after a ban with a new handle, which is a violation of the TOS.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 05:46 am
It is too far back now to reference my posting, but I apologize to farmerman, stradee, and msolga, and anyone else taken in by my poor wording.

I was, in fact, supporting farmerman and his point, and suggesting that he not diminish it by referring to it as "just his hang up".

Farmerman is right.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:08 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:

Your arguments for hunting resemble a man swinging a bat in the dark at anything, real or imagined, that moves.

cjhsa wrote:
Your sudden appearance here and apparent knowledge of my posting would indicate to me you have returned after a ban with a new handle, which is a violation of the TOS.

"Swing and a miss!"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 05:47 pm
On the run this morning & have only managed a quick catch up of this thread.

Welcome, Robert Gentel, pleased to meet you here! Some interesting & thought provoking contributions to the discussion (though I don't agree with all your interpretations of the situation between Japan & Australia over whaling).
Thanks for your contribution!

Sumac

Absolutely no need for an apology!
OK? Very Happy

Gotta run now.
Back later some time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
Back again ..

Robert Gentel

I've just reread your recent posts. I disagree with quite number of your opinions & interpretations of the "whale debate", particularly from the Australian perspective & would like respond to some of your arguments. I doubt that I can respond to everything you've said, because it would keep me busy for some time! :wink:

First, let me say that this thread was started (by me) in 1975, as a sort of "watching brief" of the forthcoming debate within the International Whaling Commission (IWC). At that time there was concern about a Japanese proposal to the IWC:

"....Japan has asked the IWC to approve an extension of its annual kill of 400 minke whales - which it says is for "scientific purposes" - to include the humpbacks. ...

.... If the IWC approves the expansion, the slaughter of the huge beasts would begin shortly in waters around Antarctica, which Australia claims as sovereign, but which Japan refuses to recognize. ..."

At that time I had no idea that this debate would still be going on now. And still be focusing on the same issues. But here we are, still arguing about the very same things in 2008! It goes on & on & on ...

The problem, as I see it, is that the IWC is not the appropriate body to to resolve the conflict. It is a Commission about whaling & I believe its focus is too narrow to properly address the many other concerns about whales.

Also, (as we have seen from media reporting - see earlier articles posted here), the decision making process within the IWC is far from ideal .... & is subject to all sorts of abuse (like intense lobbying, quite transparent bribery of small nations (who have little real concern about whales apart from supporting a particular "side" of the debate) & so on. So while, for example, a proposal about "whale research" might be the agenda item under debate, the real debate is actually between the whaling industry & conservationists. Which causes intense frustration on both "sides" & causes much of the bad feeling between them.
I believe it's time for a more appropriate body (with more authority) & which can better address all the real concerns (within a much broader context), to be formed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:29 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
I forgot to explain why the cartoon themes are insulting and a red-herring that is stereotypical of the culture clash more so than the issue itself.

People eat animals. This is accepted. A cartoon depicting Australians as bloodthirsty killers for eating animals accepted to Australians would not make sense and neither do these about whales. Japanese don't hunt whales because they are cruel bloodthirsty folk but rather because they like to eat them as they have traditionally done. Similarly, those who traditionally eat cows and chickens are not necessarily doing so out of cruelty.

The real issue is conservation, not the fact that Japanese eat whales. They have traditionally done so and there are countless examples of cultural differences in what's an acceptable animal to eat and this isn't about cruelty at all.

The sentimentalism for the whales should not be the factor, their endangered status should be. Japanese people could probably respect the endangered status argument fairly easily but that's clearly not what most people criticizing them want. Even if whales were plentiful they'd find it objectionable due to their own "ick factor".

So when the criticism becomes too shrill, you find Japanese also getting too shrill and intentionally provoking their counterpart cultures back (e.g. the comments about killing the albino humpback, which they are extremely unlikely to do). Their own stiff necks then only serve to bring stiffer necks to the table.

It's really damned stupid if you ask me. On both sides. Outrage doesn't tend to do much to solve problems and neither does inordinate sensitivity to criticism and hubris.

If whales could talk they'd ask not to be a part of the Japanese-Australian culture war.

Ploughing right along ...

I honestly don't believe the cartoons (posted by me, here, anyway) have been rascist, "insulting" or "stereotypical of the culture clash more so than the issue itself". (Could you point out which one/s you were referring to?) They have just about exclusively been about "the whaling debate" which is the issue! The last one was about the "whale research" argument by the Japanese. And I thought it was fair comment to a thoroughly discredited argument.

" ...People eat animals. This is accepted. A cartoon depicting Australians as bloodthirsty killers for eating animals accepted to Australians would not make sense and neither do these about whales. Japanese don't hunt whales because they are cruel bloodthirsty folk but rather because they like to eat them as they have traditionally done. Similarly, those who traditionally eat cows and chickens are not necessarily doing so out of cruelty.

The real issue is conservation, not the fact that Japanese eat whales. ..."

No one (that I can recall) actually said that the Japanese are "cruel bloodthirsty folk" because they eat whales. But there are many concerns about why the Japanese continue to kill whales (for "research purposes") in ever increasing numbers & continue stockpiling them. Then run government campaigns to encourage more (not so enthusiastic, I assume) people to eat them. (Many articles here on that particular issue, if you'd like to take a look.)

"...Japanese people could probably respect the endangered status argument fairly easily but that's clearly not what most people criticizing them want. ..."

Sorry, but what ....? Confused

"...So when the criticism becomes too shrill, you find Japanese also getting too shrill and intentionally provoking their counterpart cultures back (e.g. the comments about killing the albino humpback, which they are extremely unlikely to do). Their own stiff necks then only serve to bring stiffer necks to the table. ..."

I believe the Japanese comments about killing the albino whales or including humpbacks in the kill are purely ambit claims, a diversionary tactic, mostly for the purposes of the IWC debate, to divert the attention from the key issue. I don't think they had any intention of doing it either.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:57 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
But you don't get a country to reign in it's nuts by calling them all nuts. Since Australia is a democracy your leaders will have problems being reasonable if their constituency isn't.

The same applies to Japan. The more shrill the criticism the more political capital it takes to take a strong conservationist position.

This is one of the unfortunate situations in democracy where it has to come bottom-up instead of top-down and where the majority of the bottom on each side isn't as reasonable as their tops.

Seriously, Robert, which "nuts" on the broad Australian & Japanese fronts are you referring to here? Are you referring to GreenPeace, Sea Shepherd, the Greens, animal welfare groups ...?
And on the Japanese front, well, it is fairly difficult to find any impassioned pro-whaling arguments in press coverage & on the the internet ..

The comments on this thread have been, on the whole, fairly reasoned responses (I think) to news developments, commentary & information posts which have been posted regularly . Most of the "nutty" responses here have been from "gun advocates" (rarely anything to do with whales) or folk who want to attack animal welfare organizations, or want to personally attack particular posters for their views. Occasionally a poster responds in kind.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:49 pm
dlowan wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
I may have already posted this (I had intended to in the past and don't feel like searching to see if I did) but I honestly think the biggest impediment towards a more reasonable Japanese position on whaling is the fact that they feel so insulted by the way with which the international community (especially Australia, where some xenophobia and racism is a factor on both Japanese and Australian sides) "meddles" in "their" affairs.

I don't happen to think that it's a reasonable position on their part, but if the people who are against it were serious about wanting to save whales there are better ways to go about it.

The cartoons and such here are good examples, the satirical demonization only makes them that much more determined to thumb their noses at the world. It's pride and stupid pride at that but no different from the Australian position that this is a matter of Japanese telling Australia that they are their economic superiors and can do what they want.

This has become a pissing contest (mainly with Australia), and is no closer to resolution as a result. A pity, because the whales are more important than each nation's hubris, nationalism and xenophobic skepticism.

To use an example indigenous to Australia, the demonization of Aboriginal (sorry I forget the more appropriate term at the moment) peoples in regard to sexual abuse was in no way helpful to the actual victims of the abuse.

When you turn something into a culture war, the real morality of the acts go out the window and people just fight for their side. This is what's happening here between proud peoples and the whales are no better off as a result.

Not sure that is actually true on the ground...unless the whole plan to hunt humpbacks was a ploy, since the Japanese seem to be responding to international pressure, at least on that? It struck me as a bamboo vs oak tree strategy when they announced their plans to halt the humpback kill for this year, of copurse...but I do wonder if they might be withdrawing a bit.

I think that the cartoon above is satirizing the "scientific research" taradiddle more than anything else, and I think everybody recognizes that as a nonsense. I do find that very irksome....not that I am questioning your point, especially.

(I haven't got especially involved in this thread, since I CAN see the Japanese..and Icelandic... point of view, and I do think that AR activists can be quite nutso and very ill informed, and I am concerned about the glamorous mega-fauna getting all the attention vs the hundreds of species that go unsung to their graves every year thing.)

But....nothing else that has happened seems to have had much impact, and the Japanese have been moving forward towards more whaling for some years now.

Do you have a method that you believe might work? You seem to do so...you mention a "better way". I am assuming you mean some sort of behind the scenes negotiation, but, while I may be wrong, I had thought that had been attempted for years now?????

I would have thought Rudd to be the sort to do a lot of the calm behind the scenes stuff, as well as the upfront stuff he is seen to have done...(this is extremely true of the new government's FAR more reasoned and decent approach to that awful intervention, of which your criticism is, of course, completely valid)

Nearly there ....! sigh

" ...This has become a pissing contest (mainly with Australia), and is no closer to resolution as a result. A pity, because the whales are more important than each nation's hubris, nationalism and xenophobic skepticism. .."

A "pissing contest (mainly with Australia), "? You really think so, Robert?

Indulged in by whom? The government? Environment groups? The Oz media? The "people" ...?
Before I say any more, can I make it clear that I'm not some sort of rappant nationalist of the "my country, right or wrong variety", OK? :wink:
But I do take objection to what you've written & I don't believe your perception is correct.

As I've tried to say earlier, I don't believe this is some sort of racist excercise aimed targeting the Japanese. I sincerely believe there is a very strong feeling in Australia (as in other parts of the planet) about wanting to conserve & protect whales. Of course, I can't say something like "this is what all Australians believe". (Any more than you can imply our motivations are xenophobic!) This is my opinion, based on living in this country, closely following reports in the news & the media, talking to people & so on ...

But I think I can say that many Australians hold whales in enormous regard, are fascinated intrigued by them, delightful, enchanting ... a whole mixture of responses. And there is huge interest in them in our media as well (for example the Sydney Morning Herald has a permanent Whale Watch section on its website, which is regularly updated). A whale sighting in Sydney harbour or off the coast Victoria, say, is big news, often front page news. As are whale beachings & news of the Japanese whaling activities in the Southern Ocean. "Whale watching" a huge tourist growth industry! Anyway, I think it's fairly safe to say that we have a great affection for whales & there is a strong feeling that people do not want to see them "farmed" & die painful deaths by harpooning. (You may consider this "sentimental" or "emotional", but it's fairly understandable, I think) Especially when we are informed that much of the whale meat is actually destined for storage & in fact, there is not a huge demand for it on the world (or Japanese) market. And that the motivation appears to be to maintain broader Japanese fishing "rights" (& maintaining the industry) in the world's oceans, rather than specifically about whales. I think that's where a lot of Australian opposition to whaling comes from. I honestly think if it was say, the UK, or Canada, or whatever other country that was conducting the whaling activities that the reaction would be just as strong.

And it is not just our "feelings" toward whales that pushes the issue so strongly. Conservation concerns, animal cruelty issues, politics ... all sorts of things are in the mix.

Deb mentioned that other endangered species should be afforded more protection, too. I agree. Both native & "commercial" animals. The Australian live sheep trade to the middle East, for example, is barbaric & a disgrace & it is taking far too long to brought to a closure.

Finally:
"..To use an example indigenous to Australia, the demonization of Aboriginal (sorry I forget the more appropriate term at the moment) peoples in regard to sexual abuse was in no way helpful to the actual victims of the abuse. ..."

Sorry, but I feel quite offended about you using this as an example of "culture wars" to support your argument. It is a far more complex & difficult situation than you are suggesting. No one (even those Australians with racist tendencies, I'd bet) wants the abuse of Aboriginal children within their own communities to continue. The problem is, until recently most people weren't even aware of it, though they there's no way that they could not be aware of the severe hardship & disadvantage many Aboriginal communities face. I don't know what the answer is (nor do the various authorities, including Aboriginal leaders whose responses vary greatly).
If by "demonization" you mean the response of the previous government's intervention, I would have initially agreed with you but am now completely confused because other respected Aboriginal authorities (& women within some of the communities) want the army to stay on & for the intervention to continue. It is an extremely distressing & confusing situation & unfortunately there appear to be no clear cut answers. Bit I don't believe we are endulging in "cultural wars" wars about it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:19 pm
Whoops! I just reread one of my posts, in which I caimed to have started this thread in 1975!

Shocked

Laughing

(predating A2K by how many years?)

Now why did I say that? Confused

2005 is what I meant to say!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:09 pm
dlowan wrote:
(I haven't got especially involved in this thread, since I CAN see the Japanese..and Icelandic... point of view, and I do think that AR activists can be quite nutso and very ill informed, and I am concerned about the glamorous mega-fauna getting all the attention vs the hundreds of species that go unsung to their graves every year thing.)

I meant to ask earlier but forgot, Deb.

What (or who) are "AR" activists?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:46 am
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Animal Rights.

Not that I do not think animals have rights, but some of the folk involved can be nuts.

I have...for example...had friends who were stalked and threatened with death to them (and their kids) for giving scientific advice (as requested by the government) about some issues.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 01:07 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Animal Rights.

Not that I do not think animals have rights, but some of the folk involved can be nuts.

I have...for example...had friends who were stalked and threatened with death to them (and their kids) for giving scientific advice (as requested by the government) about some issues.

Oh animal rights!

I can't imagine the circumstances in which your friends were threatened (& I won't ask for details here, for obvious reasons), Deb, but it sounds an extreme reaction from a very extreme fringe group. I honestly don't believe that all that many animal rights advocates (& their fellow travellors) are of quite that ilk.
I'd actually thought you were referring to "nutso and very ill informed" activists in a more general sense.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:21 am
msolga wrote:

The problem, as I see it, is that the IWC is not the appropriate body to to resolve the conflict. It is a Commission about whaling & I believe its focus is too narrow to properly address the many other concerns about whales.

I'm inclined to agree, the IWC is mainly about preventing over-hunting, and helping to sustain whaling.

For those trying to stop whaling altogether there is a conflict of objectives with any of the whaling treaties and it should come as no surprise that using the IWC's treaties doesn't quite work out for them since the IWC doesn't even share their goals.

Quote:

I believe it's time for a more appropriate body (with more authority) & which can better address all the real concerns (within a much broader context), to be formed.

I'm not sure what you mean, all such bodies would still be voluntary unless international law evolves more than it has throughout the entire course of history and sovereignty becomes a dated concept.

Let's say a new body is created with the purpose of stopping whaling altogether, Japan could simply not ever voluntarily join said body's treaties and you are back to "might makes right" as the only way of resolving the differences.

Quote:

I honestly don't believe the cartoons (posted by me, here, anyway) have been rascist, "insulting" or "stereotypical of the culture clash more so than the issue itself". (Could you point out which one/s you were referring to?)

I don't think I saw any of the cartoons here (admittedly, that only amounts to a half-dozen or so) that didn't fit that description for me. But they are probably subtle and latent enough that we'd not agree.

But disregard whether we can agree on that for a minute and consider that if they are received as such it's problematic anyway. For many Japanese they are very similar to the World War 2 cartoons that emphasize racial stereotypes and they are also full of emotional appeals (just look at how much blood they tend to contain).

Whether or not you feel they should insult Japanese people, I can tell you with a reasonable degree of certainty that they do.

Quote:

They have just about exclusively been about "the whaling debate" which is the issue!

You can still have xenophobia and racism in a perfectly on-topic cartoon about the whaling debate. I'm not saying that those are primary motivations, I'm saying that the significant racial tensions between Australia and Japan have slipped into the debate. We may well not be able to agree on that but I think we could agree that if enough people on either side feel that way it is an impediment to agreement.

Quote:
The last one was about the "whale research" argument by the Japanese. And I thought it was fair comment to a thoroughly discredited argument.

Japanese Whaling is obviously commercial, and for the purposes of this discussion we can say it has nothing at all to do with research. Proving this is pointless since it's being used as a legal loophole. There was no real agreement on the moratorium since its birth and Japan never agreed with the very principles of the voluntary moratorium they were coerced into.

So that they use the legal loopholes within the treaty to circumvent it should come as no surprise, nor should the fact that pointing out the obvious pretext won't make a bit of a difference.

Their "research" pretext is not at all an argument within the whaling debate, it is merely semantics that allows them to comply with the letter of a law that they are party to voluntarily without complying with the spirit of it, which they have never ever agreed to.

If Japan so desired they could just tell withdraw from the IWC and say they are whaling for commercial purposes and do so legally. As it stands, they have to call their commercial whaling "research" for it to be legal under the voluntary agreement they were bullied into.

Quote:

No one (that I can recall) actually said that the Japanese are "cruel bloodthirsty folk" because they eat whales.

You have posted articles or posts within the last couple of weeks depicting them as "cruel", "ruthless", "filling the oceans with blood" so I'm sure you are aware of the many people who do in fact do so.

Here's an example of a portion of an article that you posted that you emphasized with bold text (seemingly indicating agreement):

"Japan is an economic bully and will continue to bully Aussies and Kiwis until some politician with a modicum of backbone decides to defend AnZac honour by kicking their ruthless whale killing asses out of the Southern Oceans Whale Sanctuary."

But I'm not really talking about the people in this thread so much as the general level of debate on an international level, it's full of emotional appeals like bloody cartoons and these things do nothing to address the real issues and serve only to stir up already over-inflamed emotions.

Quote:
But there are many concerns about why the Japanese continue to kill whales (for "research purposes") in ever increasing numbers & continue stockpiling them. Then run government campaigns to encourage more (not so enthusiastic, I assume) people to eat them. (Many articles here on that particular issue, if you'd like to take a look.)

I haven't read the articles in this thread on the stockpiling but am familiar with articles (possibly the same) on the sub-subject.

Personally, I think Japanese continue to kill whales because they do not agree that whales should not be killed and because they dislike being told what to do by other countries. Countries like China and Japan are quite xenophobic and have much stronger aversions to other's "meddling" in "their" affairs.

Quote:

A "pissing contest (mainly with Australia), "? You really think so, Robert?

Oh yes, I think it's much bigger of an issue for the majority of each side's population than the whales themselves.

Here is a quote from an article you posted: "The Japanese Government is trying to exert some chauvinistic superiority. They have already said that whaling is a question of pride."

Here is another quote from an article you posted:

"What Moronuki is saying is that Japan will do whatever it wishes, and to show contempt for Australians they have decided to target the beloved humpbacks. They will even kill Migaloo if they come across him. They are saying that Australians haven't got the guts to oppose them because Japan is the economic master of Australia and Australians have to accept everything the Japanese want for fear of losing resource sales to Japan. Japan is an economic bully and will continue to bully Aussies and Kiwis until some politician with a modicum of backbone decides to defend AnZac honour by kicking their ruthless whale killing asses out of the Southern Oceans Whale Sanctuary."

Those are just from the last couple weeks of this thread, I didn't have to go far to find good examples of how much of a matter of nationalism this has become for both sides.

Quote:
Indulged in by whom? The government? Environment groups? The Oz media? The "people" ...?

All of the above. But especially by Oz Media and environmental groups and, of course, the Japanese whaling itself (being their non-verbal reaction).

Quote:
Before I say any more, can I make it clear that I'm not some sort of rappant nationalist of the "my country, right or wrong variety", OK? :wink:
But I do take objection to what you've written & I don't believe your perception is correct.

I don't think one has to be a rampant nationalist to allow this debate to involve nationalism but let's just say that it's not at all about nationalism for a second. Even if it isn't, it's very obvious that many people within the debate think it is (see the articles you posted that I reference for example).

If people think it is, then it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote:

As I've tried to say earlier, I don't believe this is some sort of racist excercise aimed targeting the Japanese.

I don't think racism is the primary motivation, but I think it's hard to ignore that it has become a component. That's why the cartoons you post often resemble World War 2 caricatures of Japanese. There is some significant history here and the stuff Australian cartoonists are churning out these days are very much reminiscent of cartoons from World War 2 like "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips". See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugs_Bunny_Nips_the_Nips

They go out of their way to emphasize racial stereotypes and are throwbacks to a much more racist time. But again, whether or not you or I think they are racist, if Japanese people do they are problematic for whales (if not for a pissing contest).

I feel that you get idiotic comments from Japanese like hinting that they'd be willing to kill Migaloo because of the heightened emotions that the uglier side of this debate had brought to light.

From one of your articles: "Captain Paul Watson reacted to the report on the potential threat to Migaloo by accusing the Japanese of deliberately goading Australians."

Yes! That is goading, you depict it as some sort of calculated diversion but I feel it's an obvious response to what they feel is goading as well. Now I don't much care who started it but it's bloody obvious on both sides and wholly counter-productive toward the objectives of whaling, conservation or animal rights. It serves only one purpose: to fan the emotional flames on both sides.

Quote:

Anyway, I think it's fairly safe to say that we have a great affection for whales & there is a strong feeling that people do not want to see them "farmed" & die painful deaths by harpooning. (You may consider this "sentimental" or "emotional", but it's fairly understandable, I think)

I don't fault the emotion and sentimentality of the whales. I fault emotion and sentimentality in arguments that are aimed at protecting them because they are very clearly counter productive.

I'd like to point out that when I reference emotion I am not criticizing emotion for the animals, but inordinate emotion in the dialogue. For more on emotional appeals see here: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/emotiona.html

Like in many cases, hot blood doesn't tend to be the best condition for agreements. And what few people put enough importance in on this thread is the fact that this is only resolved by agreements or war. There is no legal authority.

So if Australians care about whales so much they should do less to so thoroughly offend Japanese people on the subject because it only motivates them to go out of their way to show that they will not be bullied. If Australians get so offended about the Japanese not listening to them and portray this as a power struggle imagine how a very nationalistic country feels about being told what to do.

This is about sovereignty now for the Japanese more than anything else. You keep wondering why the Japanese do what they do when whaling isn't all that important to them. They are reacting to what they see as very untoward meddling. And it takes a particular understanding of their culture to understand why they are so stiff-necked about such things (I've lived in both Japan and Australia and am familiar with both cultures).

National pride in Japan is a weird bird for western cultures to understand. But to put it very simply they are very sensitive to "meddling". This whole thing started off on the wrong foot and has gotten progressively worse. Since there is no authority the exchange should be more diplomatic.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with "saving face" within the Japanese culture either, but the Australians that make this a nationalist issue give Japan no way to do so.

Quote:

Especially when we are informed that much of the whale meat is actually destined for storage & in fact, there is not a huge demand for it on the world (or Japanese) market. And that the motivation appears to be to maintain broader Japanese fishing "rights" (& maintaining the industry) in the world's oceans, rather than specifically about whales. I think that's where a lot of Australian opposition to whaling comes from. I honestly think if it was say, the UK, or Canada, or whatever other country that was conducting the whaling activities that the reaction would be just as strong.

I don't. The US has commercial whaling activity in Alaska and Canada isn't even a member of the IWC, and not a part of the moratorium at all. Commercial Canadian whaling does occur (though in lesser numbers than by Japanese) and you don't hear much from Australia about it.

There are obvious reasons, Japan is a neighbor and there are proximity tensions in addition to the other tensions from World War 2 that still exist.

If you think the volume is the issue then why isn't Norway's whaling as big of a deal to Australia? They did not agree to the moratorium and have been working to increase their whaling as well. They don't even pay lip service to the treaties.

This is so clearly about nationalism by traditional Pacific rivals that I don't think I can make any better of a case for it that is already made on a daily basis by the involved parties. Vocal members on both sides have come out and said as much explicitly in the very articles you post.

And I think you are touching on it yourself when you mention that this is also largely about Japan maintaining other "rights". This is part and parcel of what I am getting at. Japan doesn't want to set a lot of precedents where other countries dictate their fishing "rights".

Quote:

Sorry, but I feel quite offended about you using this as an example of "culture wars" to support your argument. It is a far more complex & difficult situation than you are suggesting. No one (even those Australians with racist tendencies, I'd bet) wants the abuse of Aboriginal children within their own communities to continue.

No offense intended, but I think you may have misunderstood me. It was an example of too much self-righteousness and simple heavy-handedness in an issue that is much more complex than self-righteousness and heavy-handedness is adept at solving.

My point is that it was made unnecessarily inflammatory and counter-productively so (not specifically about the army). I maintain that in the case of whaling the same is the case. The most basic understanding of Japanese culture would indicate that if you want to make Japanese increase their whaling you should continue to publicly call them to task on it in culturally insensitive ways.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:34 am
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Animal Rights.

Oh animal rights!

I can't imagine the circumstances in which your friends were threatened (& I won't ask for details here, for obvious reasons), Deb, but it sounds an extreme reaction from a very extreme fringe group. I honestly don't believe that all that many animal rights advocates (& their fellow travellors) are of quite that ilk.
I'd actually thought you were referring to "nutso and very ill informed" activists in a more general sense.

I am perfectly happy to talk about one of the circumstances in which such threats were made, Msolga, if you are interested...it's quite interesting......(it's the one I can actually recall all the details of!).

There were a number of examples.

I agree, such behaviour is clearly that of a lunatic fringe, but I do think that emotion runs away with reason in many instances in the animal rights arena, as it does in so many arenas.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:46 am
Doh, real quickly:

"If you want to make Japanese increase their whaling you should continue to publicly call them to task on it in culturally insensitive ways."

I don't mean "you" as in msolga, I mean "you" as in the indefinite you (e.g. like the generic one).

Maybe didn't need mentioning but I want to make sure my wording doesn't make it personal. ;-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:13 am
Oh Robert Gentel!

That was a whopper post to find just after I'd logged out! As you can see I have now logged back in just now, but I can't possibly respond to all your responses to what I've written! (For starters, I have been on this computer for far too long & absolutely must get off! :wink: )

I'm afraid, on the questions of racism/xenophobia we will just have to agree to disagree, lest we keep arguing endlessly about the very same things. And I don't think I could do that without going nuts, frankly! :wink: I think it's fair to say that we are arguing about opinions, our own interpretations, to a large extent. Mine were sincere & I assume yours were, too. I really do not want to repeat what I've already said, and that's pretty much what I will end up doing if I do respond. So I will leave what I've already posted (in copious quantities!) to stand & understand that you disagree with much of it. How's that? :wink:

On the issue of Australian cartoonists: they tend to be pretty blunt in their commentaries. I don't believe they have "picked on" Japanese whaling interests for any special treatment at all. In fact, I find these cartoons pretty tame, compared to the sometimes almost vicious treatment of our own, home grown politicians. These cartoons are published for an Australian audience. I have chosen to post them because I find cartoons an interesting & direct form of commentary & often post them here, to a variety of threads. Leunig is Leunig & Moir is Moir. There is nothing any more offensive about these particular whaling cartoons than any of their other contributions. If they are found "offensive" or "racist" by the Japanese, well I don't know what can be done about that. And I don't see them as on the same level as WW2 cartoon "hate" propaganda, nor do I believe the motivation for them is the same, but you do. We'll have to agree to disagree again, I guess.

"..Personally, I think Japanese continue to kill whales because they do not agree that whales should not be killed and because they dislike being told what to do by other countries. Countries like China and Japan are quite xenophobic and have much stronger aversions to other's "meddling" in "their" affairs. .."

Personally, if this is correct, I find this an appalling justification for unnecessarily killing hundreds of whales. It is taking national pride to rather offensive lengths, I think.

I find the issue of different foreign sensitivities a bit difficult, actually. I mean, it is difficult to comment on the situation in Tibet, say, for fear of offending Chinese sensibilities, but how do we talk about these things politely & openly at the same time? Should we not comment on capital punishment in Asia openly for fear of upsetting a number of our near (Oz) neighbours? Should we not comment on Islamic fundamentalism & attacks against "westerners" in Indonesia for fear of causing offense? There have been occasions (like the Corby saga in Bali) where I believe racism has been employed (big time!) by the campaigners, but that's not what I'm talking about here ... I'm talking about everyday reporting of events & the the analysis of those events. I don't know, to me there's a very fine line between trying to present information in a "culturally sensitive" manner & censorship. A pretty tall order.

I have tried here to post a variety of news reports & opinion on the whaling issue. Most are from Australian mainstream media, but others are from groups like Greenpeace & Sea Shepherd. Yes, some of the posts are provocative, others aren't. Frankly I think it's fair enough to post such variety of media responses. Most people can make up their own minds. We do not have to automatically agree or endorse every single "take" on the issue to be supportive of whale conservation.

There are other things I probably should respond to, but I simply don't have the stamina or level of concentration at the moment. :wink:

So finally, this:

" ..The most basic understanding of Japanese culture would indicate that if you want to make Japanese increase their whaling you should continue to publicly call them to task on it in culturally insensitive ways. .."

Seriously, what "culturally sensitive" ways do you think would work with the Japanese authorities? (They have hardly been exactly "sensitive" about conducting whaling in an area that has been designated as a whale sanctuary in the Southern Ocean & which is under Australian "protection")

I mean, the previous Australian government conducted talks on this issue with the Japanese government - regularly. Made respectful & deferential comments in the media & the parliament about our "special" relationship with Japan & our trade ties, participated in delegations along with other countries .... None of it worked, not least because, I suspect Australia & NZ were/are still considered insignificant small fry to the Japanese government. However, last week, after a US approach - instant results!
Now what does that tell you about Japan's "cultural sensitivity" toward Oz? These things work both ways ya know!:wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:24 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
Doh, real quickly:

"If you want to make Japanese increase their whaling you should continue to publicly call them to task on it in culturally insensitive ways."

I don't mean "you" as in msolga, I mean "you" as in the indefinite you (e.g. like the generic one).

Maybe didn't need mentioning but I want to make sure my wording doesn't make it personal. ;-)

It's rather hard to speak on behalf of the entire "generic one", Robert, so I won't try too hard to. :wink:

And small typo (I'm sure I've made quite a few, too!): you meant to say "If you want to make Japanese decrease their whaling ..... "
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:39 am
& now I'm turning off my computer, getting out of this chair & leaving this room fast!! (Good grief, how long have I been sitting here typing? Shocked )
.... before Robert Gentel posts yet another whopper post, which I'll then feel absolutely compelled to respond to! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:40 am
msolga wrote:
& now I'm turning off my computer, getting out of this chair & leaving this room fast!! (Good grief, how long have I been sitting here typing? Shocked )
.... before Robert Gentel posts yet another whopper post, which I'll then feel absolutely compelled to respond to! Laughing

WEell, the great thing about the net, is you can go away and think about how you want to respond at leisure.

I DON'T, generally, as can be plainly seen......but one CAN!!!
0 Replies