Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:45 pm
I would say realistic . . . but then, i've read history all of my life, so one might suggest that i have a jaundiced view . . .
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:51 pm
Lobbying also often determines policies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:59 am
... and aint that the truth! <sigh>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:25 am
Australian Broadcasting Corporation

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT

Broadcast: 26/05/2005

Humback whales under threat
Reporter: Jonathan Harley

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1378095.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:06 am
Overheard part of a news report on ABC radio a few days ago in which the Japense government was explaining it's support of whaling: apparently one of the "scientific purposes" of Japanese whaling (according to a Japanese parliamentarian whose name I couldn't catch - sorry.) is to find out how old the whales are. (!)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:10 am
Its like clearcutting todetermine the age of the forest. That logic just escapes me.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:52 am
Most of you who have read my postings, know I am somewhere to the Right of Margaret Thatcher.

What many don't know is that I am a rabid Cetacean Rights advocate and crap like this makes me go through the roof.

'Research' my ASS! this is about creeping back into the whale meat selling market, one whale at a time.

My solution is a very militant one, but I think it will work.

The Russians have several mothballed attck subs sitting for sale and they would LOVE to have American and Euro hard currency. I say we buy one and sit and wait for this 'Research' factory ship to come along and 'harpoon' (Torpedo) it. Once we blow the bottom out of them, I dont think they will be back for more 'research' any time soon.

We can call it the 'Humpback's Revenge' and can fly the Jolly Roger from our periscope.

Dibs on the eyepatch and the parrot. Arrrrr!!! Avast ye lubbers, prepare to go to Davy Jone's Locker!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:55 am
msolga wrote:
Overheard part of a news report on ABC radio a few days ago in which the Japense government was explaining it's support of whaling: apparently one of the "scientific purposes" of Japanese whaling (according to a Japanese parliamentarian whose name I couldn't catch - sorry.) is to find out how old the whales are. (!)

That's a no brainer . . . they'll be dead, older than which, no one and nothing ever gets. This is typical of the Japanese arrogance with regard to doing whatever the hell they like, an attitude of cultural superiority which lead to the Greater East Asia Coprosperity Sphere, and which World War II failed to cure. I really like Fedral's solution, but i doubt we could pull it off.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:10 am
Know I know we are headed into the 'End Of Days'. Shocked

When the lion lays down with the lamb

When Setana agrees with Fedral on any subject.

The Apocolypse is upon us... Smile Very Happy Laughing

I still think it would work. Avast!!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:20 pm
(I feel some of those in the Japanese government have strange mentality in many cases.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 04:19 pm
Fedral wrote:
...When Setana agrees with Fedral on any subject.

The Apocolypse is upon us... Smile Very Happy Laughing ....

Laughing

Surprised What?

Really? Detente in our time? Surprised

Bravo & hooray! See what a good cause can achieve? Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:12 pm
Some background information from Greenpeace:

Media release:

From Japan with love: a slap in the face. Japan's government disguise whaling as scientific research:

If you wanted a census of wild birds, would you get a slingshot and kill them to count them? This is practically what the Government of Japan is proposing, yet again. Wire reports reveal that a secret proposal from Japan's Fisheries Agency sets a "scientific" quota of double the current take of minke whales. They also want to add endangered humpback and fin whales. It's time for killing in the name of science to stop.

The secret proposal from Japan, which has been submitted for consideration at the IWC meeting beginning on May 27 in Ulsan, Korea, will see new "scientific" quotas with a minke whale take of 880 in the Antarctic in addition to a catch of some 10 humpback and fin whales. Let's just remember here that populations of whales in the Antarctic are at only 10 percent of what they were before industrial whaling - it seems ludicrous to kill them to count them, or find out what they eat. Then again, it's not so ludicrous if you're going to make millions from the meat.

In 2003, the Fisheries' Agency's "research" whalers reported revenues of over US$50 million from a catch of 700 whales. Their catch this year is expected to be 1,300.

Greenpeace whale expert, John Frizell, said "For too long the 'scientific' loophole has provided commercial whalers with a 'fig leaf' of respectability. The IWC should move to end the scandal of scientific whaling and end the scientific exemption."

The submission to the IWC by Japan's Fisheries Agency is designated "in confidence". But since when was the science of environmental protection and nature conservation best served by secrecy? If it's so scientific, why are they trying to hide it? Why not post it on the internet so the world wide community of whale researchers can review it. If they're really stuck, perhaps the public could then suggest ways to do the studies non-lethally?

The scientific whaling loophole isn't the only problem plaguing the IWC's efforts. Over the last month the Rainbow Warrior has been in Korea to highlight another flaw in international efforts to ban the hunting of whales. In 2003 the Korean fishing fleet "accidentally" netted 84 whales, which were legally traded and processed for domestic consumption. Korean Government statistics show that between ten and a hundred times more whales are "accidentally" caught in Korea than in countries that do not have a domestic whale meat market (Japan has a similiarly high rate of "accidental" catches, otherwise known as bycatch).

Even worse for these whales: scientists believe that the Korean population of minke whales is in serious decline. Research published by the well-respected Royal Society shows not only that minke whales in Japanese and Korean waters are declining; but that they will continue to decline even if hunting does not resume, due to these high levels of "accidental" bycatch - and the IWC scientists agree.

It has also been revealed that Korea is, again on the quiet, proposing to build a whale processing factory in the very city where the IWC is to be held, which could be indicative that, like Japan, they intend to pursue whaling and brand it "science".

For more information on our presence in Korea and the "Whale Embassy", check out our weblog.
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/koreawhales/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:23 pm
More background information from Humane Society International (HSI):

Japan to Double Whale Kill in Antarctic Sanctuary

Media reports overnight reveal Japan is set to double the minke whales killed in its annual Antarctic hunt to over 800, and to start hunting fin and humpback whales. A substantial number of these whales will be killed within the Australian Whale Sanctuary and will include humpbacks that migrate up the east and west-coast of Australia every winter.

The appalling news comes while Humane Society International (HSI) is waiting on a Judgement from the Federal Court as to whether we can bring a court case against the Japanese Whale Company for killing whales within Australia's Whale Sanctuary.

Japan hunts whales in defiance of an international moratorium on commercial whaling, claiming that it is for scientific purposes.

There is absolutely no scientific case for killing whales and neither are there economic grounds for Japan expanding its Antarctic hunt. The demand for whale meat in Japan is falling and the hunt is already heavily subsidised by the Government. ...
<cont.>

http://www.hsi.org.au/news_library_events/press_releases/N300.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:06 pm
Seriously, let us hope that Green Peace get out there and disrupt them to the fullest. It would help if others got out there too, but those are some of the worst waters in the world, and no place for amateurs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:16 pm
Amen!
Go Greenpeace!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:20 pm
The I------ shall be armed . If those bastids sneak around the Sable Island area and start killing whales I wonder if I would give careful consideration to firing on and taking out their radars?. I wonder, is there some international law that would be applicable should one consider such
a drastic solution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:22 pm
I don't know . . . how good are you at looking innocent ?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:38 pm
Some very bad news. So how serious, really, is the Australian government about this issue? Here we have an Australian federal minister arguing in the federal court that "to enforce Australian law against the Japanese company, would be likely to give rise to an international disagreement with Japan." So we should stick to "diplomatic channels" to protect the whales instead. And hey, guess who was arguing this line? It's Philip Ruddock! <shudder> So much for all the good publicity for the Oz government wanting to protect the whales in the Antartica! Shame! :

News Release
27th May 2005

Judge swayed by diplomatic concerns in HSI Whale Case

A judge of the Federal Court of Australia, Justice James Allsop, today refused permission for Humane Society International (HSI) to proceed in court action against the Japanese company that regularly kills minke whales in the Australian Whale Sanctuary adjacent to Antarctica.

Justice Allsop refused HSI permission to proceed against the Japanese whaling company, Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha Ltd, despite finding the evidence presented by HSI supported the conclusion that the company has contravened Australian law by whaling in the Australian Whale Sanctuary.

Justice Allsop cited concerns raised by Federal Attorney-General Phillip Ruddock, that to enforce Australian law against the Japanese company, would be likely to give rise to an international disagreement with Japan.

"Today's judgement is especially devastating now the Japanese Government has revealed it will allow the company to double the number of minke whales it kills in Antarctica and to start hunting humpback and fin whales. Australians have been in uproar over this and will share HSI's frustration with today's decision. We intend to appeal this decision", said HSI's Director, Michael Kennedy.

In opposing HSI's case, the Government has expressed a preference for dealing with this matter through diplomatic channels and last week Prime Minister John Howard wrote to Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi asking him to stop the hunt. The Japanese Government appears to be undeterred.

In addition to the Federal Court case, HSI has also recommended the Australian Government commence its own proceedings against the Japanese Government at the International Court of Justice, on the grounds that Japan is abusing the loophole in the international whaling convention for lethal research to get around the ban on commercial whaling. "If HSI is ultimately unable to bring the Japanese whalers to account in the Australian Federal Court, we hope the Australian Government will be prepared to bring them to account in the international courts" said HSI's Wildlife and Habitat Program Manager, Nicola Beynon.

HSI sincerely thanks our barristers, Stephen Gageler SC and Chris McGrath, and our solicitors, the Environmental Defender's Office NSW Ltd, for their generosity in representing us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For further information please contact

Humane Society International
[email protected]
PO Box 439
Avalon NSW 2107
Australia
Tel: +61 (02) 9973 1728
Fax: +61 (02) 9973 1729
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:50 pm
Press release from the Australian Greens leader, Bob Brown:

Howard should phone Japan on whale furore - Brown Senator Brown, 24th May 2005

Prime Minister Howard should phone his Japanese counterpart Prime Minister Koizumi and give him a no-holds-barred condemnation of the proposed new humpback whale slaughter in Australia's Antarctic Whale Refuge, Greens Senator Bob Brown said today.

"Belatedly, Mr Howard has sent Mr Koizumi a letter saying 'good friends should always feel free to disagree'. The medium is the message and it's downbeat. Mr Koizumi didn't send a letter, he phoned Mr Howard, to get our troops sent to Iraq to protect the Japanese," Senator Brown said.

"The Howard Government's approach is week, late and losing. The whales are seriously at stake. There will be a global furore which diplomatic niceties are not going to remedy," Senator Brown said.

Further information: 03 62341633 or Ben Oquist 0419704095

Nothing, but nothing is going to be allowed to interfere with Australia's trade relationship with Japan, it seems. That's what's behind our government's wimpish response to this serious situation, I'm sure. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:55 pm
msolga wrote:
Nothing, but nothing is going to be allowed to interfere with Australia's trade relationship with Japan, it seems. That's what's behind our government's wimpish response to this serious situation, I'm sure. Evil or Very Mad

Currently, Australia and Japan has a military co-operation in Iraq, as well.
0 Replies