Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:07 pm
Yes, satt. Apparently extra Australian troops were needed in Iraq to protect Japanese projects there.

"Belatedly, Mr Howard has sent Mr Koizumi a letter saying 'good friends should always feel free to disagree'. The medium is the message and it's downbeat. Mr Koizumi didn't send a letter, he phoned Mr Howard, to get our troops sent to Iraq to protect the Japanese," Senator Brown said."

See Bob Brown's press release above.
Perhaps Japan could be a bit more sympathetic of the widespread Australian (& other) concerns about increased whaling by the Japanese in Australian protected areas of the Antarctic, given these Iraq arrangements?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:19 pm
Information about humpback whales:

http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/home/animals.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:56 pm
farmerman wrote:
The I------ shall be armed . If those bastids sneak around the Sable Island area and start killing whales I wonder if I would give careful consideration to firing on and taking out their radars?. I wonder, is there some international law that would be applicable should one consider such
a drastic solution.

That's just wicked, farmerman!

But I love it! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:05 am
Tokyo calls for logic on whaling
By Deborah Cameron
Tokyo
May 28, 2005/the AGE

.... "The question is not whether you support whale watching or whale eating," said Mr Morishita, who will make Japan's case for an increased whale quota at next month's meeting of the International Whaling Commission.

"We should talk about how they co-exist? It is just a different way of utilising the same resources. Both of the industries need whales and that is the common ground." ....
~
... Japan's justification for whaling is that research is necessary to understand the animal's physiology and breeding habits as well as ocean ecology.

Japan argues much data can only be determined by "sampling", a euphemism for killing. It says the meat, a byproduct of the program, should not go to waste.....

<complete article>
http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Tokyo-calls-for-logic-on-whaling/2005/05/27/1117129895333.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:51 am
To use a crude, but effective country boy's expression, Mr. Morishita is as stuffed full of sh!t as the proverbial Christmas goose . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:52 am
Setanta wrote:
To use a crude, but effective country boy's expression, Mr. Morishita is as stuffed full of sh!t as the proverbial Christmas goose . . .

But so logical! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:11 am
Last Update: Saturday, May 28, 2005. 2:21pm (AEST)

Bob Brown says the Government must close Australian ports to the Japanese fishing fleet. (ABC TV)

The Australian Greens Senator Bob Brown says the Federal Government must close Australian ports to the Japanese fishing fleet if Japan goes ahead with its plan to hunt humpback whales and increase its take of minke whales.

Japan is seeking permission in the International Whaling Commission to expand its whaling operations, but Senator Brown says the Asian nation will continue with its plans regardless of whether they are sanctioned by the commission.

He says the Australian Government closed ports to the Japanese over a southern bluefin tuna dispute in 2001.

"If we close our ports to the fishing fleets of Japan, that costs money," Senator Brown said.

"They're in the whaling business to make money.

"The people involved in this - and there's a crossover between the fishing fleets and the Japanese whaling fleets in ownership - when they understand they're going to lose money if they proceed to increase whaling and to kill humpback whales, they'll think again."

Senator Brown says diplomatic niceties are getting nowhere with Japan.

"The Australian Government and the New Zealand Government know where the people stand," he said.

They need now to outline an action plan so that the Japanese Government knows that it's going to be also facing very big financial penalties."

Earlier this week it was revealed Prime Minister John Howard wrote to the Japanese Prime Minister, saying Australia believed there was no basis for killing the whales.

But Senator Brown has described the letter as a pointless diplomatic nicety and says Japan will increase its whale catch even without gaining approval from the whaling commission.

"We have to move beyond the International Whaling Commission to see how we can coordinate an international offensive against the corporations in Japan who want to undertake this renewal of the bloody humpback whaling industry," he said.
`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:40 am
Last Update: Sunday, May 29, 2005. 12:40pm (AEST)

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200410/r33760_83927.jpg
(File photo) (ABC TV)

Campbell takes whaling fight to Europe, Pacific

Federal Environment Minister Ian Campbell flies out to Europe today in a bid to garner support to head off any resumption of commercial whaling.

The visit comes ahead of the International Whaling Commission's (IWC) meeting next month, where there may be an attempt to resume commercial whaling.

Japan is also proposing to increase its scientific whaling in Antarctic waters.

Senator Campbell says he will also visit Pacific nations within the next fortnight.

He says all countries need to work together to make sure whales are conserved.

"There is a real threat at the International Whaling Commission in Korea in June that commercial whaling could be re-opened," Senator Campbell said...
<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1379351.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:51 am
Not humpback or minke whales, but this should give you some idea of how passionately many, many Australians feel about the whales that regularly visit our shores:

Stranded whales saved
By Jano Gibson
June 3, 2005/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/02/0206whale,0.jpg

A mass stranding of whales in Perth has been successfully turned around through the herculean efforts of hundreds of volunteers with the loss of one whale's life.

Standing chest deep in water off a beach south of Perth, the volunteers started moving the final 61 false killer whales back out to sea, as up to 50 other whales were shepherded by nine boats some 500 metres off shore.

"They're just starting to release the animals now. It's looking good," Department of Conservation and Land Management spokesman Neil Taylor told smh.com.au.

Earlier, Clive Johnson, who owns the Mandalay Caravan Park on Geographe Bay, told smh.com.au that scores of the stranded whales had been helped back into deeper waters, boosting volunteers' morale.

"They're quite buoyant because they reckon they are going to save them all," Mr Johnson said after spending more than four hours in the 18-degree water.

The whales had beached near the Dolphin Bay boat ramp and another larger pod had come ashore near a caravan park on Mandalay Beach, four kilometres west of Busselton.

Up to 800 people joined the massive rescue effort, the caravan park owner said.

"Ladies and men, husbands and wives, grandmas, kids - the whole community steps in," he said.

His caravan park is providing shivering volunteers with hot showers, he said.

Others in the community are bringing tea and coffee to the beach.

"They've even got those (cafe-style) gas heaters on the beach so when you come out of the water you can warm up," he said.
"People will do shifts all night if they have to," he said.

Mr Taylor said: "It's not uncommon for this species to strand."

Western Australia is no stranger to whale strandings.

On April 3 this year, 19 long-finned pilot whales beached themselves at nearby Geographe Bay.

Six died, but about 50 volunteers and CALM staff managed to herd 13 survivors out to sea.

The last mass stranding of whales on the south-west of Western Australia was in 1986 when 114 false killer whales beached themselves in a remote area near Augusta, 500 kilometres south of Perth.

Of the 114, 96 were returned to the sea by rescuers. The other 18 died.

In 1996, a pod of 300 pilot whales - 200 of which had tried to beach themselves at Dunsborough, 300 kilometres south of Perth - were successfully moved to deep water.

- with AAP
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:24 am
I heard another report this morning on AM (ABC Radio): The hearing will be next week, in South Korea. Apparently Japan is calling for a secret ballot. Let's pray that this doesn't happen & that each country's vote on this issue is clearly seen by the whole world. We will know who they are! Then I heard about Japan's "scientific" justifications for whaling: once again, the argument of killing whales to establish their age ... And a new one: establishing the sex of whales!
Hearing stuff like this from a "respectable" government authority just drives me nuts! They obviously don't care how ridiculous the arguments are, so long as they can achieve their ends.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:12 am
Last Update: Friday, June 17, 2005. 3:34pm (AEST)
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200308/r7927_18292.jpg
Senator Campbell says Migaloo is at threat. (File photo) (Qld Environmental Protection Agency)

Campbell heads to whaling meeting ahead of vote

Australia, New Zealand and Britain will join forces to try to block the reopening of commercial whaling by Japan.

Federal Environment Minister Ian Campbell is about to leave for South Korea for the International Whaling Commission meeting, where pressure will be applied to Japan.

Senator Campbell says if Japan resumes commercial whaling, Migaloo the albino humpback, which regularly travels the east coast of Australia, could be in danger.

"Migaloo is at threat, she's a humpback, the Japanese have said they want to take 20 humpbacks this coming season," he said.

"Migaloo may never come to Australia again. Migaloo could face the death sentence from this so-called science."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200506/s1394731.htm
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:21 pm
I STILL say we need to buy an old Russian sub and blow their blubber eating azzes out of the water.

But thats just me, I'm nutz! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:36 am
Japan vows to battle anti-whaling 'imperialism'
June 19, 2005 - 4:13PM/SMH

Japan is ready to battle "fanatic" anti-whaling nations at an international meeting opening tomorrow and could stage a walk-out, claiming the hunt is an inseparable part of its culture.

For Japan, which usually prefers quiet diplomacy in the international arena, killing and eating whales is not an environmental issue but a struggle against what it sees as "imperialism" - particularly by Australia, which lies near whaling waters.

Japan is widely expected to use the meeting of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) in Ulsan, South Korea to announce an expansion of its controversial but fiercely defended hunt.

"Countries such as Australia and New Zealand say they would not let a single whale be hunted no matter how healthy whale stocks are," said Hideki Moronuki of Japan's Fisheries Agency.

"These fanatic anti-whaling countries ... may also include Italy, Germany and Britain. But there are some other anti-whaling countries that are a bit cooler," he said.... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Japan-vows-to-battle-antiwhaling-imperialism/2005/06/19/1119119718144.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:40 am
Japan uses 'alarming' tactics in whale vote
By Kerry-Anne Walsh, Political Correspondent
June 19, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Anti-whaling nations were one vote short of blocking Japan's efforts to overturn a 20-year moratorium on commercial whaling, Environment Minister Ian Campbell said yesterday.

Before flying out to the International Whaling Commission's meeting in South Korea, Senator Campbell told The Sun-Herald that Japan had been engaging in "disturbing" and "alarming" tactics to strong-arm smaller nations into backing its plans.

Senator Campbell refused to reveal his "intelligence" on the Japanese tactics before Wednesday's vote, saying: "They will be revealed in due course, but what we are hearing is very, very disturbing.

"They don't care if they win by one vote. This is their big chance. The intelligence we've got would scare you to bits. It's alarming."... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Japan-uses-alarming-tactics-in-whale-vote/2005/06/18/1119034102558.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:09 am
Last Update: Sunday, June 19, 2005. 5:02pm (AEST)
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200410/r33758_83921.jpg
Japan is expected to apply to double the number of minke whales it kills (file photo). (ABC TV)

Caribbean to push for commercial whaling
By Environment reporter Sarah Clarke

The Caribbean has declared its support for a return to commercial whaling.

Tomorrow the International Whaling Commission (IWC) will meet in Ulsan in South Korea to discuss a possible return to commercial whaling.

Japan is expected to apply to hunt humpback whales in Antarctica for research purposes, and to double the number of minke whales it kills in the region.

The Caribbean has long been a supporter of Japan's whaling program.

Antigua's Minister for Marine Resources Joanne Massiah says the Caribbean has vowed to back any vote that would see a return to a commercial hunt.

"The science certainly says that a number of the species are on the rebound and it is safe to engage in commercial whaling activities again," she said.

But Australia is hoping its diplomatic efforts have secured the numbers to ward off any pro-whaling push.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:11 am
Fedral wrote:
I STILL say we need to buy an old Russian sub and blow their blubber eating azzes out of the water.

Had i the funds, i'd buy if for ya . . . i bet the Ruskis sell off that stuff cheap, too . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:14 am
Last Update: Sunday, June 19, 2005. 7:30am (AEST)

The International Whaling Commission meets in South Korea tomorrow.

Last-minute lobbying ahead of whaling summit

Australian representatives are carrying out last-minute lobbying against a return to commercial whaling, ahead of tomorrow's International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting in South Korea.

With less than 24 hours until the meeting begins, Togo, Cameroon, Gambia and Nauru have now joined the anti-whaling efforts.

Japan will be hoping the African nations will back their efforts for a return to commercial whaling.

But Australia is confident it may still have the numbers to block the vote.

Scientific argument

A number of Australian scientists are again arguing there is no need to kill whales for research.

A group of scientists involved in researching humpback whales is meeting at Cape Byron in northern New South Wales to discuss, among other issues, commercial whaling.

Japan is expected to apply to hunt humpback whales in Antarctica for research purposes, and to double the number of minke whales it kills in the region.

But Dan Burns from Southern Cross University's Whale Research Centre says the fact remains that whales do not have to be killed in order be researched.

"We're finding out a huge amount of information," he said.

"When we can look at things like population, a lot of the population characteristics of these whales we can find out.

"A lot of these things that the Japanese claim to be doing with their scientific research by killing the whales, we can find out without having to."

He says the best way to study whales is when they are alive.

"I'd certainly like to think that the work that we're doing is showing that we can find out a whole bunch of information about these whales using completely non-lethal means - in fact, completely non-invasive means," he said.

"All the research that we do, we don't even have to touch the whales in any way."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:15 am
<gulp>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:20 am
Setanta wrote:
Fedral wrote:

Had i the funds, i'd buy if for ya . . . i bet the Ruskis sell off that stuff cheap, too . . .

I'm normally anti-violence, but in this case I might just chip in a some $$$$ myself! It's just unthinkable that this could all start happening again! Shocked Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
A sub may be outside the affordable price range, but if y'all pay my one way ticket to Japan, I'll sink the fricken boat myself with a hammer and a Black and Decker cordless drill. Evil or Very Mad

These bastards disgust me.

I have never wished ill upon any sailors in my life, but I hope that their ship hits an 'uncharted reef' or something like that.
0 Replies