Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:30 pm
UhHuh.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:39 pm
*sigh* Crazy aunt Tilly, God love 'er...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:53 pm
cyphercat wrote:
*sigh* Crazy aunt Tilly, God love 'er...

Laughing

You're a funny girl, cypher!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:55 pm
If you're talking about me, in this case, I'm crazy like the doctor in a psych ward.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:57 pm
Whatever, cjhsa ...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:08 am
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

doink

Thought the cartoon posted was one of the 'racist' ones. Embarrassed

Yep, the whales the inuits hunt, intelligent beings, almost must jump in the canoes and stab themselves to death. Not much of a threat to the whales. However, the Japanese used the inuit hunts as a tactic. Of course Washington refused their suggestion. Not like Japan needs to kill a thousand whales each season for their nations survival. Ludicrous at best.

It took many years of advocacy and the almost extinction of humpbacks to convince most nations that whales needed protection, not harpoons. I really don't believe the United States will change its whaling policies anytime soon.

Australia has the ball in its court. Your governments given Japan latitude - what else can you do besides shooting them out of the water and that's not an option. There is a ban on industrial whaling.

Another good sign is when the media covers the events. Last year we read 'pirates' were attempting to annihilate Japanese whaling ships and now Australia's new leadership announced - 'enough'!

Progression
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:54 am
Stradee wrote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

doink

Thought the cartoon posted was one of the 'racist' ones. Embarrassed

Not to worry, Stadee. Smile

Stradee wrote:
"Yep, the whales the inuits hunt, intelligent beings, almost must jump in the canoes and stab themselves to death. Not much of a threat to the whales. However, the Japanese used the inuit hunts as a tactic. Of course Washington refused their suggestion. Not like Japan needs to kill a thousand whales each season for their nations survival. Ludicrous at best.

I think cynical describes the situation well, Stradee!

Stradee wrote:
It took many years of advocacy and the almost extinction of humpbacks to convince most nations that whales needed protection, not harpoons. I really don't believe the United States will change its whaling policies anytime soon.

I so hope you are correct in that assessment!

Stradee wrote:
Australia has the ball in its court. Your governments given Japan latitude - what else can you do besides shooting them out of the water and that's not an option. There is a ban on industrial whaling".

But you see, Stradee we have little real little power, we only have the moral arguments (as does NZ) .... We are small fry on the power stage of the world! This has so much to do with why I admire our new government so much, on this particular stance. It matters & it could cost us but we are making a stand. (In the company of the US! :wink: )

Stradee wrote:
Progression".

I really hope so! Very Happy ".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 01:12 am
msolga wrote:
Whale research.
From today's paper.
There have actually been one or two other cartoons published in the Oz media which I chose not to post here. Because they could possibly have been interpreted as rather racist, though I doubt that was the intention ...:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/23/cartoon_golding_231207_gallery__556x400.jpg

That is some cartoon, Msolga.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:00 am
I may have already posted this (I had intended to in the past and don't feel like searching to see if I did) but I honestly think the biggest impediment towards a more reasonable Japanese position on whaling is the fact that they feel so insulted by the way with which the international community (especially Australia, where some xenophobia and racism is a factor on both Japanese and Australian sides) "meddles" in "their" affairs.

I don't happen to think that it's a reasonable position on their part, but if the people who are against it were serious about wanting to save whales there are better ways to go about it.

The cartoons and such here are good examples, the satirical demonization only makes them that much more determined to thumb their noses at the world. It's pride and stupid pride at that but no different from the Australian position that this is a matter of Japanese telling Australia that they are their economic superiors and can do what they want.

This has become a pissing contest (mainly with Australia), and is no closer to resolution as a result. A pity, because the whales are more important than each nation's hubris, nationalism and xenophobic skepticism.

To use an example indigenous to Australia, the demonization of Aboriginal (sorry I forget the more appropriate term at the moment) peoples in regard to sexual abuse was in no way helpful to the actual victims of the abuse.

When you turn something into a culture war, the real morality of the acts go out the window and people just fight for their side. This is what's happening here between proud peoples and the whales are no better off as a result.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:09 am
I forgot to explain why the cartoon themes are insulting and a red-herring that is stereotypical of the culture clash more so than the issue itself.

People eat animals. This is accepted. A cartoon depicting Australians as bloodthirsty killers for eating animals accepted to Australians would not make sense and neither do these about whales. Japanese don't hunt whales because they are cruel bloodthirsty folk but rather because they like to eat them as they have traditionally done. Similarly, those who traditionally eat cows and chickens are not necessarily doing so out of cruelty.

The real issue is conservation, not the fact that Japanese eat whales. They have traditionally done so and there are countless examples of cultural differences in what's an acceptable animal to eat and this isn't about cruelty at all.

The sentimentalism for the whales should not be the factor, their endangered status should be. Japanese people could probably respect the endangered status argument fairly easily but that's clearly not what most people criticizing them want. Even if whales were plentiful they'd find it objectionable due to their own "ick factor".

So when the criticism becomes too shrill, you find Japanese also getting too shrill and intentionally provoking their counterpart cultures back (e.g. the comments about killing the albino humpback, which they are extremely unlikely to do). Their own stiff necks then only serve to bring stiffer necks to the table.

It's really damned stupid if you ask me. On both sides. Outrage doesn't tend to do much to solve problems and neither does inordinate sensitivity to criticism and hubris.

If whales could talk they'd ask not to be a part of the Japanese-Australian culture war.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:21 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
I may have already posted this (I had intended to in the past and don't feel like searching to see if I did) but I honestly think the biggest impediment towards a more reasonable Japanese position on whaling is the fact that they feel so insulted by the way with which the international community (especially Australia, where some xenophobia and racism is a factor on both Japanese and Australian sides) "meddles" in "their" affairs.

I don't happen to think that it's a reasonable position on their part, but if the people who are against it were serious about wanting to save whales there are better ways to go about it.

The cartoons and such here are good examples, the satirical demonization only makes them that much more determined to thumb their noses at the world. It's pride and stupid pride at that but no different from the Australian position that this is a matter of Japanese telling Australia that they are their economic superiors and can do what they want.

This has become a pissing contest (mainly with Australia), and is no closer to resolution as a result. A pity, because the whales are more important than each nation's hubris, nationalism and xenophobic skepticism.

To use an example indigenous to Australia, the demonization of Aboriginal (sorry I forget the more appropriate term at the moment) peoples in regard to sexual abuse was in no way helpful to the actual victims of the abuse.

When you turn something into a culture war, the real morality of the acts go out the window and people just fight for their side. This is what's happening here between proud peoples and the whales are no better off as a result.

Not sure that is actually true on the ground...unless the whole plan to hunt humpbacks was a ploy, since the Japanese seem to be responding to international pressure, at least on that? It struck me as a bamboo vs oak tree strategy when they announced their plans to halt the humpback kill for this year, of copurse...but I do wonder if they might be withdrawing a bit.

I think that the cartoon above is satirizing the "scientific research" taradiddle more than anything else, and I think everybody recognizes that as a nonsense. I do find that very irksome....not that I am questioning your point, especially.

(I haven't got especially involved in this thread, since I CAN see the Japanese..and Icelandic... point of view, and I do think that AR activists can be quite nutso and very ill informed, and I am concerned about the glamorous mega-fauna getting all the attention vs the hundreds of species that go unsung to their graves every year thing.)

But....nothing else that has happened seems to have had much impact, and the Japanese have been moving forward towards more whaling for some years now.

Do you have a method that you believe might work? You seem to do so...you mention a "better way". I am assuming you mean some sort of behind the scenes negotiation, but, while I may be wrong, I had thought that had been attempted for years now?????

I would have thought Rudd to be the sort to do a lot of the calm behind the scenes stuff, as well as the upfront stuff he is seen to have done...(this is extremely true of the new government's FAR more reasoned and decent approach to that awful intervention, of which your criticism is, of course, completely valid)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:42 am
dlowan wrote:

I think that the cartoon above is satirizing the "scientific research" taradiddle more than anything else, and I think everybody recognizes that as a nonsense. I do find that very irksome....not that I am questioning your point, especially.

Yeah, "scientific research" as a pretext is an obvious one. But it's not the issue. It's just the legal loophole to an environmental treaty. They agreed to the terms with that loophole and they are using it.
Calling it what it is doesn't change that it's a legal loophole they have and are inclined to use. The real issue is over-hunting versus sentimentalists who oppose the hunting altogether.

If Japan had wanted they did not need to sign the treaty at all and could legally tell everyone to pound sand. Other nations like Norway simply objected to the moratorium and hunt away. The fact of the matter is that they agreed to the moratorium and the moratorium's goal is sustainable whaling while the opposition largely comes from the mega-fauna emotional appeal.

Quote:

But....nothing else that has happened seems to have had much impact, and the Japanese have been moving forward towards more whaling for some years now.

As the whale population grew. They believe that population levels have reached sustainable points. The difference of opinion that matters is whether we have reached sustainable levels. All the emotional appeals merely cloud the issue.

Quote:
Do you have a method that you believe might work? You seem to do so...you mention a "better way".

Yeah, the same thing that worked the first time. Logical conservationist arguments. At this point it may be too late for logic and the fires of this culture war may just need to die out before reason sets in.

Hopefully no whales species will as well while each side finds their heads.

Quote:
I am assuming you mean some sort of behind the scenes negotiation, but, while I may be wrong, I had thought that had been attempted for years now?????

I don't think calm behind-the-scenes negotiations will overcome the animosity from the emotional appeals and cultural attacks.

Quite frankly I think the solution is for the more nutty folk to shut up on both sides and that's not something you can control.

So from a practical point of view as a democratic government I don't think there are great alternatives. But if the involved communities themselves could come to their senses it would be resolved in short order and we could then focus on individuals and corporations who, for profit, would push the limits.

But you don't get a country to reign in it's nuts by calling them all nuts. Since Australia is a democracy your leaders will have problems being reasonable if their constituency isn't.

The same applies to Japan. The more shrill the criticism the more political capital it takes to take a strong conservationist position.

This is one of the unfortunate situations in democracy where it has to come bottom-up instead of top-down and where the majority of the bottom on each side isn't as reasonable as their tops.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:45 am
I have an idea. Let the whaling community sell licenses and tags. Set seasons. Hold a lottery. Make a ton of money for research while knowing exactly how many whales were legally taken, and control what kinds of whales are taken.

It really is that simple. It works here in the U.S. for game management as well as everywhere else it's been tried. You just have to remember, some guy with a gun or harpoon isn't necessarily a hunter or fisherman. If he doesn't follow the rules he's a poacher - and you need to not blame the innocent.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:56 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Yeah, "scientific research" as a pretext is an obvious one. But it's not the issue. It's just the legal loophole to an environmental treaty. They agreed to the terms with that loophole and they are using it.
Calling it what it is doesn't change that it's a legal loophole they have and are inclined to use. The real issue is over-hunting versus sentimentalists who oppose the hunting altogether.

If Japan had wanted they did not need to sign the treaty at all and could legally tell everyone to pound sand. Other nations like Norway simply objected to the moratorium and hunt away. The fact of the matter is that they agreed to the moratorium and the moratorium's goal is sustainable whaling while the opposition largely comes from the mega-fauna emotional appeal.

Quote:

As the whale population grew. They believe that population levels have reached sustainable points. The difference of opinion that matters is whether we have reached sustainable levels. All the emotional appeals merely cloud the issue.

Quote:
Do you have a method that you believe might work? You seem to do so...you mention a "better way".

Yeah, the same thing that worked the first time. Logical conservationist arguments. At this point it may be too late for logic and the fires of this culture war may just need to die out before reason sets in.

Hopefully no whales species will as well while each side finds their heads.

Quote:
I am assuming you mean some sort of behind the scenes negotiation, but, while I may be wrong, I had thought that had been attempted for years now?????

I don't think calm behind-the-scenes negotiations will overcome the animosity from the emotional appeals and cultural attacks.

Quite frankly I think the solution is for the more nutty folk to shut up on both sides and that's not something you can control.

So from a practical point of view as a democratic government I don't think there are great alternatives. But if the involved communities themselves could come to their senses it would be resolved in short order and we could then focus on individuals and corporations who, for profit, would push the limits.

But you don't get a country to reign in it's nuts by calling them all nuts. Since Australia is a democracy your leaders will have problems being reasonable if their constituency isn't.

The same applies to Japan. The more shrill the criticism the more political capital it takes to take a strong conservationist position.

This is one of the unfortunate situations in democracy where it has to come bottom-up instead of top-down and where the majority of the bottom on each side isn't as reasonable as their tops.

Fair enough.

I have to say I am as "nuts" as anyone.

I hate seeing intelligent, complex, social creatures subject to agonizing death for no good reason. Especially wild creatures. There is no quick death for these poor animals.

I'd like the hunters to feel the pain they inflict.

But who am I to comment? I am sure the fish I eat do not enjoy their deaths...and the free range chooks no doubt resent having their heads cut off.

Still.......I do want whaling to END.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:58 am
cjhsa wrote:
I have an idea. Let the whaling community sell licenses and tags. Set seasons. Hold a lottery. Make a ton of money for research while knowing exactly how many whales were legally taken, and control what kinds of whales are taken.

It really is that simple. It works here in the U.S. for game management as well as everywhere else it's been tried. You just have to remember, some guy with a gun or harpoon isn't necessarily a hunter or fisherman. If he doesn't follow the rules he's a poacher - and you need to not blame the innocent.

It really isn't that simple at all. The US government has authority over its citizens. None of the parties objecting to the whaling nation's activities have such authority and any of the nations can simply ignore the treaty by not signing it.

To get Japan to withdraw their objection took US threats of sanctions, and that kind of negotiation is only viable as long as the threat is.

There are quotas already, this is essentially about a power struggle in international law that can't be resolved as easily as in the US since there's no global authority with the same kind of power.

Of course your idea would be simple if a global authority like the UN had the kind of authority countries like the US object to....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:00 am
As the great Fred Bear said, "If you're not working to protect hunting, you're working to end it".

We'll all join Fred in the big hunt, before too long.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:03 am
dlowan wrote:

Fair enough.

I have to say I am as "nuts" as anyone.

I hate seeing intelligent, complex, social creatures subject to agonizing death for no good reason. Especially wild creatures. There is no quick death for these poor animals.

I'd like the hunters to feel the pain they inflict.

But who am I to comment? I am sure the fish I eat do not enjoy their deaths...and the free range chooks no doubt resent having their heads cut off.

Still.......I do want whaling to END.

I don't think it's nuts to want whaling to end, but I think it's nuts to go about it the wrong way. Thing is, I guess it's not really nuts. It's human nature to be counter-productively emotional about issues one feels deeply about.

But if you want whaling to end, then the whole pissing match is moot. Since the IWC and the treaties in question all are very clear that that is not the objective (see the St Kitts and Nevis Declaration for reaffirmation of the objectives).

One of the problems here is that it all started as regulation to prevent over-hunting and that the treaties are being used by people who object to the hunting altogether.

Different objectives will rarely reconcile.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:04 am
cjhsa wrote:
As the great Fred Bear said, "If you're not working to protect hunting, you're working to end it".

That kind of simplistic bi-lateral reasoning is almost always wrong, and is wrong here once again.

There is not just two sides to almost any issue and this isn't an exception.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:05 am
Robert Gentel wrote:

Of course your idea would be simple if a global authority like the UN had the kind of authority countries like the US object to....

As long as the UN continues to not only allow rogue nations to join but to serve on high level committees, that will never happen. For now, the UN is nothing but a tool for jerks like Amallamasdingdong to get airtime. And guess who pays for most of it? I do - as does every American. We put our money where our mouth is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:06 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

That kind of simplistic bi-lateral reasoning is almost always wrong, and is wrong here once again.

There is not just two sides to almost any issue and this isn't an exception.

WARNING: HSUS WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING!!!
0 Replies