Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Tigershark

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:31 am
Sharks are just part of the food chain.

We get very few tigers here and no bulls. They are by far the most dangerous 2 species. Bronze whalers are also best avoided.

At the moment, Great Whites are entering the Manukau Harbour near Auckland as part of their annual breeding cycle. During this time they do not feed, so are not dangerous. Unfortunately, the waters are also quite murky, so not a lot to see, from a diving perspective.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:56 am
Tigershark

In case I didn't say it clearly enough before, I am all for humans respecting other species on the planet. Obviously you know more about sharks than I do. A great deal more, by the sound of it.
I'm hoping that you are part of the process which educates humans about how to respect sharks' natural habits & to respect them .... humans would be a damn sight safer if they understood and respected sharks' natural behaviour!

Can I make a suggestion to you? (In good will, I promise!)
Would you be interested in starting a thread, here at A2K, sharing your knowledge about sharks? I'm pretty sure there would be lots of interest. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can. You could PM me if you need any help to get started. I'd be happy to assist you in any way I can.

But, right now, I'm sorry, I must go.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:54 am
Divers are just part of the food chain.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 09:33 am
msolga wrote:
Stradee wrote:
These safeguards represent a giant leap forward in our
decade-long campaign to make sure that whales don't have to die
for the sake of military practice.

Needless to say, this fight is far from over and many more court
battles lay ahead.

But case by case, we are accomplishing what many thought
impossible: forcing the Navy to obey our environmental laws and
stop its needless killing of whales -- and all without
compromising military readiness. as if...

Hi Stradee

I wasn't able to give my full concentration to your post this morning because I was (absolutely!) distracted by my plumber & the work he was doing outside at the same time I was attempting to read.

But now that I have had a chance to have a proper read: That is an absolutely amazing victory! Surprised I am mightily impressed! My mind boggles, contemplating the amount of work by good people, that went into presenting the case for whale safety. Bless them! Very Happy

Bravo! Very Happy

msolga, it is truly amazing how many good people {including you!} who encourage debate and education regarding the oceans marine life and how crucial preserving the animals habitat is to the worlds eco system - makes all the difference when dealing with the profit at any cost mentality.

Kudos! Very Happy
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 02:26 pm
Tigershark wrote:
Kill the dirty Japs,I say. Bend em over and fire dem harpoons up their doity yella poo holes Laughing

Tigershark wrote:
Have you seen a whale up close? I have, many times. I have absolutely NO respect for anyone who slaughters these beautiful creatures.

Killing whales is bad but killing "dirty Japs" is ok? That should only indicate to any reasonable individual that they should not give a whit about who you respect.

msolga wrote:
Yes, I have & I agree with you, Tigershark. Especially when the sole motive for the killing is profit.

So do you also share "NO respect" for the humans who kill your food for their profit? Or just other people's food?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:21 pm
In case anyone is thinking that my quoted comment (in the post above) is connected in any way to Tigersnake's (also quoted "dirty Jap" stement) - It isn't.

My comment was about killing whales (for profit.) I consider workers In an abattoir, whose job is killing animals for domestic consumption, to be in an entirely different circumstance to the whaling industry. I don't have much respect for the systematic killing of whales under the pretext of "scientific research". Particularly when there is not even sufficient market demand for the whale meat to justify the extent of the killing (from the whaling industry's point of view.) Any "respect" issues I might have about killing animals would be directed at the industries, not the workers within them.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:13 pm
msolga wrote:

My comment was about killing whales (for profit.)

Sorry if I made it look that way, I was connecting his two posts to comment across both of them to the effect that his respect should be held in low regard. And yes, in your own incredibly polite way you expressed your disagreement with the ethnic slurs.

Quote:
I don't have much respect for the systematic killing of whales under the pretext of "scientific research".

Japan has been very very open about wanting to resume commercial whaling. If your problem is just the "pretext" then why not support a removal of the ban so they can call a spade a spade? The use of conservationism as a pretext to ban all whaling doesn't bother you, so I think the answer is obvious. You object to killing whales at all, not to what it's called.

Quote:
Particularly when there is not even sufficient market demand for the whale meat to justify the extent of the killing (from the whaling industry's point of view.)

But again I don't think this is the real point. Let's say the Japanese decide to eat more whales and the demand resumes. Does that make you happy? No, because your problem isn't that not enough whales are being eaten, your problem is that any whales are being killed.

Quote:
Any "respect" issues I might have about killing animals would be directed at the industries, not the workers within them.

At the end of the day, it's still a human being on the other end who thinks differently. You can't abstract the difference of opinion to inanimate industries. At the end of the day the basic disagreement between what is an acceptable animal to kill is still the bottom line.

Call a spade a spade: If whales were not threatened by extinction at all, and if the demand existed, would you have a problem with whaling?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:40 pm
(please excuse the interruption to the discussion)

I've just had a request from Jespah to create a second "whale" thread as:

"The topic is very large and we're seeing some technical difficulties from our end."

And that's what I'm about to do. So after my next post to this particular thread, it will be closed & the discussion will continue in a new thread. So please, no further posts to this thread, OK?

I will post the link to the new thread here, after I've created it.

(Robert, I will post your last post to the new thread so the discussion can continue from where it left off. Hope that's OK with you.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
Link to the new whales thread.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3031846#3031846

This one is now closed.
0 Replies