Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:10 pm
Quote:
Comon.... if they are, then they are also pirates. We all know what happens to pirates.

Yeah, they become national heros and have cities named after them.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:26 pm
I do hope that GreenPeace does get involved in this. I just signed a petition the other day, and while I usually have trouble coming up with something for the "Comments" section, I just simply suggested that they eat something else.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:35 pm
cj
Quote:
So you are suggesting that OZ is willing to commit murder against a bunch of fisherman because they don't like what they are fishing for?

Comon.... if they are, then they are also pirates. We all know what happens to pirates.

Ive suggested nothing of the sort. Ive only asserted that you havent been reading any of the articles posted. Id think that some degree of knowledge should precede your offered opinion, just my hangup I guess.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:48 pm
Quit that, farmerman, that is no hang up, but a valid call. Don't downgrade it.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 05:40 pm
sue, I believe farmerman was attempting to make a point.

c.j. has the annoying habit of not having the ability to debate with valid argument - then justifies his comments with poopoo.

Whalers arn't a bunch of guys out for a Sunday fishing expedition.

And before you begin your animal-addvocates-hate-people rant...
THINK!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
farmerman wrote:
cj
Quote:
So you are suggesting that OZ is willing to commit murder against a bunch of fisherman because they don't like what they are fishing for?

Ive suggested nothing of the sort. Ive only asserted that you havent been reading any of the articles posted. Id think that some degree of knowledge should precede your offered opinion, just my hangup I guess.

Actually, farmer is right here. cjhsa has got his facts wrong. The Australian ship that will be monitoring the Japanese whaling activitities is a hired civilian vessel. The Australian government has made it clear that there will be no guns on board (No shooting! As if? ) That information was posted on this thread, some pages back.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:01 pm
farmerman wrote:
I think the Japanese feel that the "threatened" status of this species will be lifted for the southern oceans. SCientifically, there is no support for such a move since the pre-whale numbers of this population are almost 3X greater than the present.

What they dont get, is the fact that the entire species is still potentially a freely exchanging gene pool , not an accumulation of separate isolated populations that are unique to specific areas such as the "southern oceans" or the "North Atlantic".

Ah, that the IWC will lift the "threatened species" classification?
That that could certainly explain the recent Japanese statements!
But I imagine, if the IWC does attempt to do this, there'll be rather a large bun fight within the organisation!

They obviously don't "get" or care about the genes argument. This is about maintaining business at any expense, it seems.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:20 pm
Stradee wrote:
msolga, they are attempting to justify the hunts, but realistically and known internationally, the Japanese whale slaughter is none other than an economic boost for whalers. Stockpiling is ludicrous. With international opposition strong, the only animals ingesting whale meat will be Japanese pets - and i'm not certain introducing school lunch boxes to small kids will be successful given the fact the Japanese majority do not eat whale meat.

Farmerman, i believe the Japanese do 'get it' and ignore real scientific evidence that whale hunts arn't preserving anything but whalers jobs. Greenpeace, in one of their alerts, said Japan in secret, is building another whaling ship. Greenpease asked we contact the Janpanese Minister.

Giving Australia their props and international lawmakers "asking" the Japanese to stand down.

Captive dolphin facility owners prosecuted

In an important step for the dolphin protection movement, The Ministry of Environment (Semarena) of the Dominican Republic has announced that it will prosecute tourist company Parques Tropicales, S.A., for illegally importing four dolphins from Cuba. Parques Tropicales brought the dolphins to their swim-with-the dolphin facility "Dolphin Island Park," in Punta Cana without authorization from the Ministry of the Environment.

This decision comes just weeks after the government of the Dominican Republic refused to allow another marine park to import live dolphins captured in Japan's cruel drive hunts. WSPA congratulated the Dominican Republic on being a strong voice of opposition to keeping dolphins in captivity.

Thank your informative your posts, Stradee! Very Happy
And for the links.

Yes, more & more I'm seeing the Japanese stance on whaling in terms of maintaining a far more extensive industry. The issue seems more about retaining the right to fish whatever species they want from the world's oceans in the face of mounting opposition, worldwide. Whales are just a part of the whole picture. And not exactly lucrative side of the industry at the moment, given the huge stockpiles of whale meat & the necessity for government campaigns to convince the Japanese to eat the stuff!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
farmerman wrote:
Now that an entire government is involved , perhaps GP and The Shepherds will be vindicated by increased support.

Yep, I think Sea Shepherd & Greenpeace have been the heroes of this (ongoing) sorry saga.
And I sincerely believe their past activities will be vindicated as we all become a more enlightened about the serious harm that has been done to marine life as a result of lack of in adequate monitoring of the activities of the Japanese & the others.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:14 pm
Your welcome, msolga. Very Happy

So often we see the argument depicting predator animals the culprits, when in reality its human overfishing and industry gathering methods that seem to be causing stock depletion. Whales and smaller sea mammals utilize their enviornment for survival by taking only what they need.

Japans reasonings, as you so correctly stated - are wearing thin.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:27 pm
Yes.

(You are a wise woman, Stadee! :wink:)

... I was just thinking: no news for quite the Southern Ocean for quite some time. (I know Sea Shepherd & Greenpeace were experiencing some problems with their ships.) I wonder what has been going on with the Japanese whalers while the Tokyo "diplomacy" has been going on. I'm also wondering if air & sky surveillance of their activities will in any way change what occurs? This is quite a change from the whalers having to deal with just Sea Shepherd & Greenpeace!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:32 pm
Sea Shepherd News
12/21/2007:

Temporary Victory For Migaloo

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/images/media_071221_2_2_whale_tail.jpg

Japan has now officially announced that they will not kill humpback whales this season. Migaloo and the other humpbacks are safe, at least until December 2008.

In a deal brokered by the United States, Japan has agreed to remove the humpbacks from the death list for this season. There have been no reports from the Japanese fleet on how many humpbacks if any have been killed so far this season.

Japan still intends to continue to kill 50 endangered Fin whales and 935 piked (minke) whales. Japan put the humpbacks on the list at the 2007 International Whaling Commission meeting primarily as a bargaining chip to broker for support of their commercial whaling activities on other species. That tactic failed and Japan set forth to punish the pro-whale nations of the IWC by announcing the quota for endangered humpbacks.

Unfortunately this is only a temporary respite for Migaloo and his species. Japan is determined to continue to escalate their kill quotas and to expand to other species. The Japanese are planning the construction of a much larger whale processing vessel to replace the aging Nisshin Maru.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society hopes that Australia will closely monitor Japanese whaling operations to ensure that no humpbacks will be killed. The Japanese whaling fleet has a long history of under reporting catches to the IWC.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will be returning to the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary to intervene against Japanese whaling operation directed at endangered fin whales and piked whales.

The Sea Shepherd ship Steve Irwin will be stopping briefly in Melbourne to pick up essential engine parts and to refuel before returning to the Antarctic coast. The Steve Irwin has just spent two weeks patrolling the Eastern side of the Japanese hunting area. Japan has always started their whaling on the Eastern end but this year to throw off opposition they traveled via the Lombok Straits and down the Western side of Australia to begin their killing at the extreme Western side of the zone. The Steve Irwin should be in this area by the first week of January 2008.

The decison to call off the humpback whale kill for this season is the result of intense international public opposition to the targeting of humpback whales. Operation Migaloo has been a success, at least for this season. Now we have to concentrate on defending the 985 whales including the fifty endangered fin whales that Japan is training their harpoon sights on right now.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_071221_2.html
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:43 pm
Well thanks, msolga! Smile

Ya know, Australia as a nation has taken the first real decisive stand against the Japanese whaling fleet, plus given much credence to Greenpeace and the Sea Shepherd. We can only hope Japan realizes thier agruments can no longer sustain their actions.

United States senators have also contacted Ambassador Kato, along with international pressure, halted the planned Humpback hunt.

The Senators and letter follows:

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) led a bipartisan group of Senators in calling on Japan to reconsider the scale of a hunt for approximately 1,000 whales and to abandon plans to kill 100 vulnerable and endangered whales. The text of the letter to Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ryozo Kato, signed by Senators Boxer, Joe Biden (D-DE), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), John Kerry (D-MA), Joe Lieberman (I-CT), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Russ Feingold (D-WI) follows:

Dear Ambassador Kato:

We write today to respectfully request that Japan reconsider its impending hunt of approximately 1,000 whales, including fin and protected humpback whales. As we understand, a Japanese whaling fleet is en route to the Antarctic Ocean to hunt these mammals over the next few months for what Japan has called research purposes. We are particularly concerned about the size and scope of the hunt, and the targeting of 50 humpback whales. This is the first time Japan has sought to kill this particular species since it was protected by a worldwide moratorium in 1966.

First and foremost, we believe there are other means available for Japan to undertake scientific research on whales and whale populations. In 1986, the International Whaling Commission banned commercial whaling, while providing an exemption for scientific research. While we acknowledge the exemption, we question the necessity of conducting a hunt of this magnitude, and are strongly opposed to the targeting of protected species. Non-lethal techniques exist that allow collection of necessary data to better understand whale populations, and we encourage Japan to conduct its research using these methods.

We also worry that Japan's proposed actions could inflict significant harm on vulnerable whale populations. Whales are highly migratory animals and a shared global resource. Humpback whales, known for their unique vocalizations and athleticism, were once hunted to the brink of extinction. And although populations have increased, the World Conservation Union currently lists the humpback whale and the fin whale as vulnerable and endangered, respectively.

As such, we join the growing chorus of world leaders and environmental experts in asking Japan to reconsider its decision to conduct this hunt, or, at a minimum, significantly scale back its scope. We also ask that Japan immediately cease the killing of both humpback and fin whales, and only employ non-lethal techniques for studying these populations. By pursuing these actions, Japan can continue to make significant scientific contributions, while conserving and protecting these important species.

Thank you for your consideration of this important request.

msolga, my guess is Japan has much to consider, and i certainly hope they begin contemplating before a harpoon leaves their whaling ship.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
Stradee wrote:
Well thanks, msolga! Smile

Ya know, Australia as a nation has taken the first real decisive stand against the Japanese whaling fleet, plus given much credence to Greenpeace and the Sea Shepherd. We can only hope Japan realizes thier agruments can no longer sustain their actions.

United States senators have also contacted Ambassador Kato, along with international pressure, halted the planned Humpback hunt.

The Senators and letter follows:

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) led a bipartisan group of Senators in calling on Japan to reconsider the scale of a hunt for approximately 1,000 whales and to abandon plans to kill 100 vulnerable and endangered whales. The text of the letter to Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ryozo Kato, signed by Senators Boxer, Joe Biden (D-DE), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), John Kerry (D-MA), Joe Lieberman (I-CT), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Russ Feingold (D-WI) follows:

Dear Ambassador Kato:

We write today to respectfully request that Japan reconsider its impending hunt of approximately 1,000 whales, including fin and protected humpback whales. As we understand, a Japanese whaling fleet is en route to the Antarctic Ocean to hunt these mammals over the next few months for what Japan has called research purposes. We are particularly concerned about the size and scope of the hunt, and the targeting of 50 humpback whales. This is the first time Japan has sought to kill this particular species since it was protected by a worldwide moratorium in 1966.

First and foremost, we believe there are other means available for Japan to undertake scientific research on whales and whale populations. In 1986, the International Whaling Commission banned commercial whaling, while providing an exemption for scientific research. While we acknowledge the exemption, we question the necessity of conducting a hunt of this magnitude, and are strongly opposed to the targeting of protected species. Non-lethal techniques exist that allow collection of necessary data to better understand whale populations, and we encourage Japan to conduct its research using these methods.

We also worry that Japan's proposed actions could inflict significant harm on vulnerable whale populations. Whales are highly migratory animals and a shared global resource. Humpback whales, known for their unique vocalizations and athleticism, were once hunted to the brink of extinction. And although populations have increased, the World Conservation Union currently lists the humpback whale and the fin whale as vulnerable and endangered, respectively.

As such, we join the growing chorus of world leaders and environmental experts in asking Japan to reconsider its decision to conduct this hunt, or, at a minimum, significantly scale back its scope. We also ask that Japan immediately cease the killing of both humpback and fin whales, and only employ non-lethal techniques for studying these populations. By pursuing these actions, Japan can continue to make significant scientific contributions, while conserving and protecting these important species.

Thank you for your consideration of this important request.

msolga, my guess is Japan has much to consider, and i certainly hope they begin contemplating before a harpoon leaves their whaling ship.

Yes, it was the US ambassador to Japan (as best I recollect) who first announced that the Japanese would refrain from hunting humpbacks after a meeting last week ...

Then the Japanese government denied that that was true ...

Then ...

And then ...

And so on! Rolling Eyes

Seems there was quite a bit of bargaining going on, behind the scenes! :wink:

I doubt very much that the Japanese government would have paid much attention to the requests prior to US involvement.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:25 pm
Whale research.
From today's paper.
There have actually been one or two other cartoons published in the Oz media which I chose not to post here. Because they could possibly have been interpreted as rather racist, though I doubt that was the intention ...:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/23/cartoon_golding_231207_gallery__556x400.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:25 pm
That is a very potent cartoon! Racist though? The people depict how Japanese people appear physically - nothing more, imo.

I believe if the Australian government hadn't taken action, there may not have been quite the push from the United States. At the last IWC meeting, the United States was asked to discontinue Alaska's inuit whale hunts {suggested by the Japanese}. I don't agree with whale kills of any sort - however, Alaskan inuits depend soley on the sea and wildlife for their survival. They still hunt traditionally with canoes. Not much chance of whales becoming extinct due to Alaska's inuit population. Its an issue with a double edged sword, imo. The inuits live in remote villages with very little contact with the outside world. At the rate icecaps are melting, many will be forced to relocate. Polar bears and sea mammals won't be given the same opportunity. Their habitat is shrinking as well - a crucial issue.

Washington opposes industrial whaling, and the Senators were very clear when writing to the Ambassador. The United States is influencial, and in the case of Japanese whaling, will hold firm with their analysis, as will the rest of the international community, imo.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:44 pm
No, not this cartoon, Stradee. I chose not to post a couple of others, because they made me uncomfortable. And they did appear rather racist, so...

Ah, the melting icecaps. Terrible to contemplate. Sad

"At the last IWC meeting, the United States was asked to discontinue Alaska's inuit whale hunts {suggested by the Japanese}."

The Japanese suggested this? Why is it their concern? Hardly in the same league as what they're doing!

I really hope you're right about the US's determination to continue opposing industrial whaling. Let's face it, small nations are not considered important enough (meaning wealthy & powerful enough) to have anywhere near the same impact! Sad but true.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:11 pm
This thread is the worst of the worst.

Bunch of AR terrorists having a chat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:19 pm
But is there anything you wish to add to the discussion?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:21 pm
Yeah, the cartoon is racist, xenophobic, and not even funny.

Besides, it needs more wasabi.
0 Replies