Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 10:15 am
How can I possibly provide evidence on this forum. I don't do assertions masquerading as scientific proof as a lot of Americans seem to do.

I will say,whether you believe it or not, that I knew how to manage a rabbit warren as a food resource for estate workers when I was 10. It wasn't my responsibility but I knew how to do it. I also took a keen interest in those happy years in rearing pheasants for the annual shoot. I had two "pet" ferrets which not only had pink eyes but also very sharp teeth. I know a ferret and polecat breeder. And I know how to shift a wasp's nest without getting stung.

But none of that is evidence. Even the memory is a bit hazy after all I've been through.

When Dylan says-

"It's only people's games you've got to dodge."

He's talking pest control.

I'll allow you, after the event, to say it was a question despite the absence of a ? but it read like a statement to me. I think it would to most people actually.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:38 pm
spendius wrote:
I don't think they give a damn about the whales being slaughtered like they don't give a damn about squirrels or cattle of horses or pigs or rats etc being slaughtered.

It's just a fashion they have adopted in order to find themselves something to do and lord their putative moral superiority over the rest of us. At bottom it's aggressive. As you can see from how they treat anyone pointing the simple and obvious facts out to them.

So mean spirited & aggressive, spendius. How would you possibly know who really gives a damn & who doesn't? What gives you the right to judge people's motives? This is all about you playing superior games, as I see it. I wish you'd go just away.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:02 am
Unfortunately, spendis like the drunk standing outside the restaurant and exposing himself. Everybody can see that hes a fool, but we just try to ignore him.
Hes a regular fixture on many threads and he dearly loves the attention that he derives from posting contrary guano.
His major failing is logic, he abhors it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:25 am
Ah, I see.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:30 am
Ms Olga wrote-

Quote:
So mean spirited & aggressive, spendius. How would you possibly know who really gives a damn & who doesn't? What gives you the right to judge people's motives? This is all about you playing superior games, as I see it. I wish you'd go just away.

So mean spirited & aggressive, Ms Olga. How would you possibly know who really gives a damn & who doesn't? What gives you the right to judge people's motives? This is all about you playing superior games, as I see it. I wish you'd go just away.

Gee-this is easy.I never knew debating was this much fun.

But I've met hundreds of them saving this and saving that and rattling their collection boxes under my nose and acting sniffy if I ignore them.

They used to come in the pub with it but they've been stopped now thank goodness.The Landlord banned them. They don't want to save anything. They just want to draw attention to themselves without doing anything skilful or daring. They stand on street corners as well but they get ignored by about 98% of passers by.

I wonder how many other lives are saved for one whale being killed. Ever thought of them Olga.Crill,small shrimps and anything else in their path. One and a half tons a day they eat. Are you a big is beautiful merchant? If you went and got on a boat and started ramming the Japanese boats, like Greenpeace do, I might take you seriously.

40 tons of blubber floating through the ocean covered with barnacles and a species of louse called Cyamus Boopis which is Latin for nuisance, with its gob wide open sweeping up little cute creatures and then singing the same old monotonous song for hours on end like Barry Manilow. They don't even chew their food before they swallow it which is considered very common here.

I wish you would ask a psychologist what he thinks people are doing saving whales when Neighbours is not on and the brasses have all been polished. It's a job for the United Nations my dear who don't bother about the shareholders of whale spotting cruise shipping companies or whether Mr Attenborough has a suitable subject to exercise his dulcet tones on.

And all those starving kids in Africa too. Sheesh!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:35 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Unfortunately, spendis like the drunk standing outside the restaurant and exposing himself. Everybody can see that hes a fool, but we just try to ignore him.
Hes a regular fixture on many threads and he dearly loves the attention that he derives from posting contrary guano.
His major failing is logic, he abhors it.

Compare that with my last post for beef content.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:38 am
We're debating, spendius?
I don't think so.
Actually you might be onto something there. About the UN, I mean.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:53 am
Well Olga-

I was debating as you have just shown. The point of debate is to expose all sides of a subject and the more complex it is the more necessary it becomes.

I am aware that my style is not to everybody's taste but I will say that if I find myself on the same side as some of these anti-ID Americans I go off to the library to get myself straightened out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:00 am
My dear spendius,

I would be way out of my depth with you & your silver tongue! I'm not half as clever with words as you are. However, I am quite genuine in my concern about whales. Actually, I'm concerned with many other things, too. I would discuss my concerns with you, but quite seriously, you make me feel rather uncomfortable & uneasy. That's the truth. Sorry.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:18 am
It's nothing Olga.

It's just a way of helping you to see things more clearly. If you feel uneasy about it it means it's working. I felt uneasy when I discovered I had to pay for girl's drinks and buy them presents to get them to let me give their tender little cheeks a kiss. And I've been uncomfortable about it ever since. I had thought girls were for spitting at and having spiders dropped down their frocks before that which was a bit complacent of me I rather think with hindsight.

It's only words.

Regards.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:24 am
Oh, I think I see things pretty clearly, spendius. Thanks for the offer, though.

Regards.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:30 am
I wonder what would happen if we allowed commercial interests uncontrolled whale hunting?

possible result is an unviable population eventually becoming extinct.
................another species gone forever.

It is my fervent hope that spurious doesnt relise how dangerously close to extinction our humpback, southern right and blue whales are.

That 'singing the same old monotonous song'

Humpback whales are the noisiest and most imaginative whales when it comes to songs. They have long, varied, complex, eerie, and beautiful songs that include recognizable sequences of squeaks, grunts, and other sounds. The songs have the largest range of frequencies used by whales, ranging from 20-9,000 Hertz. Only males have been recorded singing. They sing the complex songs only in warm waters, perhaps used for mating purposes. In cold waters, they make rougher sounds, scrapes and groans, perhaps used for locating large masses of krill (the tiny crustaceans that they eat).

The following was written by an 8 year old.
The Southern Right whale is vulnerable, but it was endangered. People have helped to keep them alive. If anymore are killed they will become endangered again.
----------------------------------
spoutius if an 8 year old can reach this conclusion why cant you.

All of the products produced from whales have been adequately replaced. there is no need to hunt the macro species.

DP (diplodicus personii). (Dip Cons & Land Management.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:31 am
Where do I sign up for the hunt? Do I get to bring my own spear?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
dadpad wrote:
... Humpback whales are the noisiest and most imaginative whales when it comes to songs. They have long, varied, complex, eerie, and beautiful songs that include recognizable sequences of squeaks, grunts, and other sounds. The songs have the largest range of frequencies used by whales, ranging from 20-9,000 Hertz. Only males have been recorded singing. They sing the complex songs only in warm waters, perhaps used for mating purposes. In cold waters, they make rougher sounds, scrapes and groans, perhaps used for locating large masses of krill (the tiny crustaceans that they eat).

The Southern Right whale is vulnerable, but it was endangered. People have helped to keep them alive. If anymore are killed they will become endangered again.

Nice post, dadpad!

Good night!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
dadpad wrote:
... Humpback whales are the noisiest and most imaginative whales when it comes to songs. They have long, varied, complex, eerie, and beautiful songs that include recognizable sequences of squeaks, grunts, and other sounds. The songs have the largest range of frequencies used by whales, ranging from 20-9,000 Hertz. Only males have been recorded singing. They sing the complex songs only in warm waters, perhaps used for mating purposes. In cold waters, they make rougher sounds, scrapes and groans, perhaps used for locating large masses of krill (the tiny crustaceans that they eat).

Nice post, dadpad!

Good night!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
spendi constantly lets me know that hes merely trying to expose all sides of an issue. However, no matter how much he rotates, I only see butt cheeks
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:52 am
Why don't you start selling empty plastic bags fm? You would make a fortune. The substanceless product is the thing of the future.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:07 am
cjhsa wrote:
Where do I sign up for the hunt? Do I get to bring my own spear?

Yet another winner.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:10 am
Oh, it's a winner alright. It's a huge f---ing harpoon with mechanical broadheads. It'll dehump a humpback.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:14 am
dadpad wrote-

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if we allowed commercial interests uncontrolled whale hunting?

I assume that at some point it would cost too much to find them and whale hunting would cease. What the number might be I don't know but what ever it was it might be a Garden of Eden for them and they could get their numbers back up to a point where it is again profitable to hunt them. The economic facts would control the level of hunting.

I wonder how many whales there might be if no hunting took place. What does expert opinion say about that?

Quote:
All of the products produced from whales have been adequately replaced. there is no need to hunt the macro species.

Don't the people who finance the hunting ships put their money down on the basis that this is untrue. It must cost a lot of money and if there is no need, as you assert, they must be going to lose the lot.

There are species becoming extinct all the time. Have you got a sentimental attachment to whales dp?

Your 8 year old is touching but at such a tender age s/he hasn't yet discovered the nasty,horrible market forces which radiate out of massed bargain hunters baying for more. I'd keep it from her/him for as long as possible as it isn't very nice on the Naked Lunch principle.
0 Replies