Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:20 pm
Don't waste your time, farmer.
Spendius is just a bit bored today & looking to excercise his cleverness, or something ....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:23 pm
It's the "or something" actually.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:35 pm
OK.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:19 pm
piss off spendius. Ya waftam.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:24 pm
What's a waftam, dadpad?
I want to know.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:31 pm
WAste of F.... Time and Money
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:36 pm
Ah. I see!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 01:30 am
farmerman wrote:
Well, weve been armed with a number of Japanese affiliate names that have markets in the US. Eg Gortons, Fujyama, Mi Kasa, etc are large and small chains of restaurants and seafood sales companies that are JApanese owned. I plan to get organized and have printed up stickers that can be applied to Gortons or Mi kasa's products that Japan supports whaling .

Im sure if we think this through, we can exert sufficient market pressure on a number of JApanese products .

Unfortunately I think it's going to take stronger action than that, farmer, though hitting the profits of the companies involved is certainly an excellent form of protest. Good for you!
I'm thinking that if the IWC's decisions can be (apparently) so easily corrupted by commercial whaling interests, then it's clearly not the right body to be monitoring the situation. And if the IWC's 1986 decision is over-turned, then things are going to get very, very ugly between the pro-whaling interests & environment organizations.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 04:33 am
Aaaaw shucks, does dwaddie-paddie want to save the humback whalies so he can draw attention to hisselfiwelfie den?

I suppose it's the only thing left to do when you're up **** creek in a barbed wire canoe w/o a paddle.

a WAFTAM is a wonderful affectionate fellow;tall and magnanimous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:10 am
All I can do immediately is to "stoke up" market visibility of who is doing the whaling. We can make it cost them dearly if most people will consider that the depletion of this entire order of animals is in jeopardy only because of human intervention. There is already a "visibility campaign" among all the whale watching cruise companies. The ones on the US EAst Coast are already geraing up for handing out information packages with "what can we do"? .

Where does IWC draw its funding? I suppose I could Google it up, but Im doing reports and have some queries running now.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
So it is simply a clash of economic interests is it?

If plankton is the grass of the sea in what way are whales dissimilar from cattle as a human path to the sun's energy.

Only a vegan has a chance in this argument. The rest are either attention seeking boat rockers or have an interest in whale watching cruise companies where bigness is equated with more life.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:43 am
WAFTAM, I like that, and so appropriate in this case.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:45 am
spendius wrote:
So it is simply a clash of economic interests is it?

If plankton is the grass of the sea in what way are whales dissimilar from cattle as a human path to the sun's energy.

Only a vegan has a chance in this argument. The rest are either attention seeking boat rockers or have an interest in whale watching cruise companies where bigness is equated with more life.

yeah lets all save something worthwhile ............Like grey squirrels!

You havnt got a clue about conservation and pest animal management have you ya nufty.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:58 am
He's just a contrarian, DP--he argues against anything, so long as he's taking a position contrary to the other members here. That's why he's willing to bash MG because she says she's willing to shoot a squirrel, and at the same time is willing to sneer at people who don't want to see the whales slaughtered.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:08 am
I don't think they give a damn about the whales being slaughtered like they don't give a damn about squirrels or cattle of horses or pigs or rats etc being slaughtered.

It's just a fashion they have adopted in order to find themselves something to do and lord their putative moral superiority over the rest of us. At bottom it's aggressive. As you can see from how they treat anyone pointing the simple and obvious facts out to them.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:10 am
Setanta signs himself with-

Quote:
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

Quite right too. Which is why 3 or 4 people saying foolish things is insignificant.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:11 am
Diplock Plonker wrote-

Quote:
You havnt got a clue about conservation and pest animal management have you ya nufty.

Have you any evidence to back up that ignorant blurt or do you think A2Kers are a bunch of young ladies in thrall to your deep authoritative tones of wisdom?

Aroint thee thou rump fed roynon!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
In the 1960's the worldwide population of humpbacks began to crash and , by the 1970s we were certain that theyd be extinct. Strongmeasures to forbid whaling had this species rebound from 12000 in the 1970's to about 36000 today. The original worlds population (pre whaling) has been estimated by genetic tracing to about 250000 individuals. The genetics statistics have a large error bar so the 250000 can be +/- by as much as 100000. (they map genetic variability and project population sizes from the various stocks still alive. The assumption is made that all populations were originally about the same)

ANYWAY, so, we are now seeing the Humpback recover and what are the Japanese doing, they want to hunt them for sushi and whale burgers. ANd then they call it "research"
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:44 am
They might have done a deal fm.

We won't push you on Kyoto if you don't push us on whaling.Or something similar.

How many species have gone extinct during the course of the American consumer boom and how many are teetering on the edge?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:50 am
spendius wrote:
Diplock Plonker wrote-

Quote:

Have you any evidence to back up that ignorant blurt or do you think A2Kers are a bunch of young ladies in thrall to your deep authoritative tones of wisdom?

Aroint thee thou rump fed roynon!

The statement was phrased as a question. I dont need evidence to back up a question.

Refute if you wish............with evidence.
0 Replies