A2K!: The Opinionated Can Fail To Change...

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:43 pm
Able2Know Philosophy & Debate:[/u]

Where the Opinionated Can Debate and Argue and Fail to Change the Mind of the Opinionated!

Oh, you disagree??? Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,726 • Replies: 27
No top replies

val

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:08 pm
Re: A2K!: The Opinionated Can Fail To Change...
extra medium

Quote:
Able2Know Philosophy & Debate:[/b][/u][/color]

Where the Opinionated Can Debate and Argue and Fail to Change the Mind of the Opinionated!

Oh, you disagree??? Twisted Evil
[/QUOTE]

No, I agree. That means you are wrong. Smile
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:32 pm
I originally disagreed, but your brilliant and logical arguement has changed my mind, which I guess, means you're wrong. Smile
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:27 pm
val & Adrian,

I'm trying to figure out how to disagree with both of you simultaneously, but its making my head hurt.

I guess I can say when I read val's post I disagreed with him, but then

when I read Adrian's post, I changed my mind and disagreed with him too.

Now I'm kind of on the fence, and I have taken a position halfway between your two extremes.

So I suppose you'll disagree with my compromise position also?
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:04 am
extra medium

Quote:
Now I'm kind of on the fence, and I have taken a position halfway between your two extremes.

So I suppose you'll disagree with my compromise position also

So you disagree with the half of my position.
Then, to be fair, I disagree with the half of your position (but I will not tell you wich half I am referring).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:43 am
Just for perspective, perhaps a look at the Philosophy & Debate Forum Guidelines might be in order. I happen to think the point of the exercize is the exchanging of ideas, not the changing of ideas.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:53 am
Quote:
="timberlandko"]Just for perspective, perhaps a look at the Philosophy & Debate Forum Guidelines might be in order. I happen to think the point of the exercize is the exchanging of ideas, not the changing of ideas.
[/QUOTE]

Exchanging of ideas ... changing of ideas ...
But what ideas? Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:18 am
Here's a small example val.

My idea of females used to be that they were lovely little things in need of care and protection.

But I changed that.

Now my idea of females is that they are a bunch of devious little monkeys and I'm the one who needs the care and protection.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:19 am
That's halfway right spendius. They happen to be devious little devil monkeys that need care and protection from themselves Twisted Evil
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:27 am
cyr:-

You should ask your social worker to put you on the "at risk" register.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:45 pm
spendius wrote:
cyr:-

You should ask your social worker to put you on the "at risk" register.

I thought anyone that spent much time on here was automatically listed on the "at risk" list?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:47 pm
Heh
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:51 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Just for perspective, perhaps a look at the Philosophy & Debate Forum Guidelines might be in order. I happen to think the point of the exercize is the exchanging of ideas, not the changing of ideas.

I respectfully must disagree, and I'd really hope that you will change your ideas on that. Razz

(Just joking, okay).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:19 am
If I changed anybody's mind I would have to change mine to keep an argument going.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:45 am
Would it be too terrible to agree, spendius?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:31 am
Ms Olga:-

You mean a mutual appreciation society?No thanks.
That's deadening.If I agree with things I don't comment much.It seems pointless.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:35 am
No, I didn't mean a mutual appreciation society, spendius. I was commenting on this:

spendius wrote:
If I changed anybody's mind I would have to change mine to keep an argument going.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:04 am
Ms Olga:-

OK! I know what you mean.

It is a sort of Devil's advocate thing.Arguing for arguing's sake.Some people like it (I'm one) and some people don't.What I suppose it means basically is than opinions are not worth having.Like the sophists of old word games are played.It probably is a matter of taste.That's why I keep away from serious threads where I know the things really matter to people.Like abortion for example.
In general though I think countervailing arguments are good for them but I draw the line when I see that I am upsetting someone.I certainly don't aim to do that.
It probably comes from being educated in a certain way and also from spending a lot of time in late night pub discussions.In pubs,when people agree the discussion fizzles out.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:59 am
All in all, I'm with spendius on this. I really get a kick outta the "win or lose" types that insist they've "won" as a tactic to close a discussion - and then get all wadded up when the discussion doesn't obediently close.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:15 pm
I agree with spendius & Timberlandko too.

Well my deal is more like:

I think the debate and exchange of ideas helps to sharpen our thinking skills sometimes.

I like ideas, but I like to see the ideas tested. This is a great proving ground for ideas.

Good or bad, wild or tame, conservative or liberal ideas, whatever. Will it hold water? Will it hold up against people who question it? Have you thought about all the implications of what you believe? Does it really make sense from all angles? Can you be sure you are 100% right and everyone else must be wrong? Can you prove it?

Plus, its sometimes nice to see someone who thinks they have all the answers on something, and they'll post some arrogant "I know-it-all & I'm right" post, then a few people will come along and ask them about a few areas of their ideas, and the original poster will go "Oh yeah, I guess I didn't think about these 20 things over there...I'll have to go back and re-think it all..." Or better yet, they'll dig their head deeper into their hole of ignorance, like an ostrich, and start getting all mad & bent outta shape, and that tends to expose the weakness in their arrogant ideas.

Its nice to expose bigots, racists, condescending know-it-all types, too, sometimes.
0 Replies