Connect new cooktop to stranded aluminum house wire

SZsure

Sat 11 May, 2019 08:50 pm
New cooktop, 3-wire with tinned copper wires, needs to be connected to 1972 3-wire stranded aluminum house wiring. I can't make out the AWG of the stranded aluminum but it looks bigger diameter than the cooktop wiring. Was going to use Alumiconns, but they are spec for solid aluminum wire. What should I use for a safe connection? Thank you,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 860 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

Jewels Vern

Sun 12 May, 2019 05:51 pm
Aluminum wire was ok in 1972, but it doesn't stay good like copper does. That is because copper oxide will conduct, but aluminum oxide won't. So your house wiring slowly turns into a huge heater and eventually starts a fire. Aluminum burns, but copper won't.

Bottom line: you need to get your house rewired with copper. That costs something, but it's cheaper than a fire.
0 Replies

taopathway

Wed 15 May, 2019 01:22 am
@SZsure,
Personally I take each wire, and pull back an aluminum strand at a time. I cut each about 2-3 inches down so that the others will fit properly in the receptacle lugs. Electrical tape is your best friend and should not be used sparingly, although make it look good lads. I do not know what your 3wire, everyone has different names for wire.
Lugs and their counterpart the fitting are actually UL listed for specific gauge wire. You break code if you disregard factory listings. You can always pick up different size lugs terminations at the market for your job. Just remove the one screw holding the old lug and use that screw or a new one on the purchased lug termination.

They also make aluminum splices for going from aluminum to copper, they you wrap it it flex electrical tape. I see plenty of people make aluminum terminations to things rated only CU, or Copper terminations for things only rated AL.
0 Replies

bobbylivewire

Fri 31 May, 2019 02:15 pm
@SZsure,
Hey SZsure

I would use Polaris Plugs. These will help keep your connection safe.
0 Replies