I've got a problem!

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:24 am
BTW, deleting cookies and clearing history are good things to do even if they don't solve this.

Virus scans as well, as are adware scans.

While I doubt any of those actions will solve this, they are still good things to do.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:31 am
Craven
Thanks for coming to help along with Larry and Satt. Now when you say you need to know what OS I use, what does that mean?
Isn't a systems restore what brings my computer back to it's origional state when I first bought it?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:35 am
Ok. I might need help on the clearing history. I've got the deleting temporary files and cookies down pat, but the history is something I don't know about.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:36 am
OS is operating system. Since it's likely to be windows I just need to know what version (older versions didn't ahve system restore).

Syetem restore could mean restoring a system to the original state but the one I'm talking about is one that will restore from certain "restore points".

Restore points can be created manually (in your case they probably haven't been) or automatically. Installing some programs will also sometimes create a restore point.

On my computer this is found through START > Programs > accessories > system tools >system restore
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:37 am
Larry
I;m checking out the history thing.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:38 am
I'm running on a windows 98
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:39 am
onl
To delete history (in Internet Explorer) go to tools>internet options>general (tab)> and it should be there like larry said.

If not don't worry, history is just a list of recently visited links.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:40 am
I've got application recovery on my accessories
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:43 am
Ok. I found the clear history and did that
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:44 am
Now, since I did that, should I delete my temporary files and cookies again
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:45 am
I think system restore was introduced in Windows ME so I don't think 98 will have it.

Application recovery probably won't help, we want to get rid of some applications.

Hmm, now you have to choose between trying to find the program that's doing this or wiping that hard drive.

There might be other options but I can't imagine what they'd be based on the info available.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:47 am
I'm not finding a systems restore in my accessories
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:50 am
Thanks Craven, Larry, and Statt for your advice. I think I might be best to do a full recovery at this point because I just can't live with this the way it is.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:58 am
By the way, I'm running on internet explorer 5.0 I believe
0 Replies

sj26

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:04 am
This sounds like a job for AdAware Razz (superhero entrance line)

AdAware is a free program that will fix problems like these. It removes programs like these that are 'Ad-ware' and 'spy-ware'. You've probably got something in the league of Gator (the worst spy-ware out there) installed. AdAware will fix that.

You can download AdAware free here:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Hope that fixes it. If not, do a system restore/clean.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:07 am
Could you search files?

Follow

Start button -> Find files and folders

(I am not sure of the exact expression as I am a Mac user, but I know the pattern.)

and enter the key word ".exe" without quotation marks. If possible add the option of the date of a file created/modified.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:09 am
Welcome to A2k sj26, thanks for the link, I could use that meself!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:10 am
Sj26
First, welcome to A2K and second, thanks so much. I had installed that the last time this happened and maybe that's what did the trick. I just couldn't find it again.

Thanks again ;-)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:27 am
I remeber the last time this happened I installed something that got rid of it, but I couldn't remember. Now I remember that I had installed the adware. Now lets see if it works.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:44 am
If you installed it before, I think its supposed to work continually, unless you disabled it at some point. Check it out though.
0 Replies