Who are the characters of "Oliver!"?

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:41 pm
I am planning on trying out for "Oliver!". I am a teenager but I could easily look like I am in my early 20's. I have never seen Oliver so I'm not sure who the characters are. What characters should I try out for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,348 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:12 pm
If you are female, then about the only role worth having would be Nancy. Oliver Twist's mother isn't around long enough to be worth the effort, and Rose Maylie is an insipid character--although i'm referring to the novel and not the stage adaptation. If you are male, then there is Bill Sykes, Fagin, the Artful Dodger--quite a few roles there. Even a smallish female could do the Artful Dodger character.

We need more information.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:56 pm
I'm female.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:56 pm
As a teenager, could I do Nancy?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:57 pm
pink, here's a cast list from the last Broadway revival of Oliver! (I got it from www.ibdb.com .)

Nancy
Fagin
Oliver Twist
The Artful Dodger
Mr. Brownlow
Londoner
Dr. Grimwig
Noah Claypool, apprentice of the Sowerberrys
Bill Sikes
Mrs. Sowerberry
Charlotte Sowerberry, daughter of the Sowerberry's
Mr. Sowerberry, the Undertaker
Mrs. Bumble
Mrs. Bedwin
Bet
Mr. Bumble, the Beadle
Londoners
Workhouse Boys / Fagin's Gang
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:06 pm
Nancy is definitely the female lead; she has several solos. "I'd Do Anything" and "As Long as He Needs Me" are two of the big ones.

Is this a community theatre production or a school production? In other words, will you be competing with older actresses for the role?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:13 pm
Nancy is quite young. Not a teen-ager but not a middle-aged person, either. If you can look like you're "of age" and can sing, Pink, it's a great role.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:45 am
I can definitely sing and look like I'm "of age" lol. And Mac11, it's community theatre so I WILL be competing against older actresses. Hopefully they will go on talent rather than age! Thanks so much guys!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:11 am
When are the auditions? Let us know how it goes!
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:35 am
The auditions are next Monday and Tuesday! I will definitely let you guys know!
0 Replies