what is the difference between "films" and "movies" anyway?

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:27 pm
Is it quality, complexity of the story, the fact it does or doesn't have subtitles
or are they just two names for the same thing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:06 pm
Nothing.

It's been the pratice of the last few decades to actually used cinema as the elitist term.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:07 pm
It seems to be mainly "movies" these days. Sad
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:50 pm
Movies are a step up from "flicks", films are a step up from movies, and cinema is shown only at Art Houses and you have to put up with a lot of pretentious people.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:50 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
... films are a step up from movies, and cinema is shown only at Art Houses and you have to put up with a lot of pretentious people.

You talking about me, Acquiunk ? Laughing

What I've come to dread about many movies are those very, very thin story lines cut & pasted together with bits of pop music. And then you're supposed to rush out & buy the soundtrack. <sigh> Bring back good script writers, I say! I don't care whether it's called a film or a movie but that's what I long for!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:54 pm
Quote: "What is the difference between 'films' and 'movies' anyway?"

The price of the ticket.

And if you're ever in Tinseltown, talking to anyone in "the industry", don't ever, under any circumstances, refer to a film as a "picture."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:55 pm
The cinema is the place I go to see movies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:56 pm
I go to the picture theatre! Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:56 pm
Ah, Beth, I see you're a "Coronation Street" fan! My wife and I spotted it right away! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:59 am
Let's review the terms:

1. Picture
2. Motion Picture
3. Film
4. Movie
5. Cinema
6. Flick

Can anyone think of any others?

The art house I go to see foreign and independents is across the street from the major shopping mall in the OC, South Coast Plaza. I don't find the crowd particularly pretentious -- they just want to see finely crafted films that don't rely on big name stars, overdone special effects and scripts that were written by a robot. Not that indepedents or foreign films are always successful at what they set out to do. It's surprising that such an expertly crafted film like "Kingdom of Heaven" brought in only $20M in the US and $56M overseas. It's the best of the recent historical epics, making "Troy" and "Alexander" look like slickly made, ponderous junk movies.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:01 pm
My mom called it the show.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:03 pm
Letty wrote:
My mom called it the show.

Mine too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:08 pm
My aunts still call a movie "a picture show."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:11 pm
Ah yes, the old "picture show." Taking someone out to a dinner and a show usually means to the movies. It could also mean a Broadway musical, a ballet, a play, et al. I've never heard any of my freinds or family say, "We're going to the cinema," unless they say "the cineplex."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:15 pm
Do people really say "cineplex?"

Everyone knows what it means, but I don't think I know anyone who uses the word.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:31 pm
The Century Cineplex near Disneyland. The Krikorean Cineplex near Knott's Berry Farm. However, I've heard multiplex more than cineplex. It seems cineplex is reserved for more than enormous venues.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:23 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

The art house I go to see foreign and independents is across the street from the major shopping mall in the OC, South Coast Plaza. I don't find the crowd particularly pretentious -- .

There are two in Hartford I go to with some regularity. One is on a college campus, the other is in a gallery/studio complex. In both place it can get rather "thick" at times.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:36 pm
Ah, yes. The show. That used to be a popular expression. When I first came to this country, at the age of 11, I was familiar with both 'cinema' and 'the movies.' But it took me a while to figure out what people were talking about when they mentioned 'going to the show.' What made it doubly difficult was that you hardly ever saw that expression in print. I read a lot in an attempt to improve my vocabulary, but 'show' was mostly a verbal, not a printed, expression.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:20 pm
Yes, Acqui, I have been to the USC and UCLA screenings where the audience was a bit austere for my taste.

One other that I can think of is Variety jargon:

Pic
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:28 pm
Yeh, and 'pix' (not 'pics') for the plural.
0 Replies