Jeep Wrangler

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:09 pm
Anybody here drive a Wrangler? I've wanted a convertible for a long time, but want something that is functional as well as fun. This just might be the solution.

http://www.offroad.cz/pics/unlimited_rubicon/unlimited_02.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,500 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:14 pm
Somebody here has to have a Jeep.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:27 pm
This part of Able2Know is very slow. You certainly have to wait a bit more than 1 hour for a reply Smile

I like them very much. I've never owned one for one simple reason. They are (in my opinion) an ancient design that excels at nothing except cleaning your wallet. For some reason despite their antique suspension, lack of amenities, and terrible body assembly, they still bring top dollar.

Having said that, they are certainly in the top 10 of off-road ability right off the showroom floor. H1, Toyota Land Cruiser, IH Scout 80/800, and Jeep are all very competent at it in stock form.

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want ultimate off road performance and can sacrifice things like a dry butt, stereo, lower back health, and being able to talk to your passenger above 25 mph, then the Wrangler is a good way to go. If you're looking for a nice street convertible, look elsewhere. The punishment you have to endure in a Wrangler is just not worth it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:58 pm
I have a Jeep Gr Cherokee(92or 93? I dunno) with a gazillion miles on it. If they make the Wrangler like they made the Cherokee you will find that \1you cant kill it

2It juss keeps goin

3 see 1 and 2

I have driven my Cherokee in tjhe deserts in the cold areas around barely drivable lands in upper Quebec (aint no roads). Ive driven it along the side cut slope of a mine pit
Ive driven it through water deep enough to worry about venting
I wouldnt call the engine old tech, its EFI and port vented for deeper water

I dont know what the Wrangler uses for suspension but its a light unit so I imagine that its not unmanageable
The new diesel jeep will have a gyro and front PTO stock I had a PTO and a winch put on mine and Ive used it to get out of mudholes in quarry pits.

Hell, Ive wrapped about 1/2 mile of barbed wire fencing around my rear universala and the damn thing just sanded the wire smooth and kept running. The mechanics had a fie3ld day trying to get all the **** untangled.

I dont think that the Wrangler is that expensive for what youre buying it for. I mean its so ugly that you only want it for off roading. Its not like its a family car. I put it in the same arena as an off road Mini.
PS, for the small spARTAN OFFROADERS, ITS PROBABLY THE HANDS DOWN SAFEST. aLL THE OTHER MAKES ARE DEATH TRAPS
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:09 pm
I wouldnt compare the H1 with the Jeep. The H1 is arguably the way that, by merely throwing money at some problem, any idiot could come up with a solution. You dont need a military vehicle that cant even get out of its own way. The Vortec mod engine they used was always getting crapped up with sediment. Did ya notice on the march to Baghdad , half the down vehicles on the side of the road were the Hummers.
The H2 is just a dumb idea. It too cant get out of its way, it has lousy mileage, and worse of all, you can barely see out of the damn thing. I rented one last year just to see whether there was anything to this thing. It was like driving a refrigerator box with tiny cutout windows. I always felt that there was something sneaking up beside me.

The Wrangler is a cheap car, and if you want to spend the amount that a LAnd Cruiser or H1or even an H2 will cost, you can buy 2 or up to 4 Wranglers.
I see that on the outdoor channel at the off road tournaments, at least half the stockers are Jeep Wranglers and in the modifieds, most of them are Jeeps. I think that theres a good reason for that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:39 pm
We just had a Rock Crawler meet in choke cherry canyon in Farmington. I wonder why nothing but jeeps bothered to enter.

Suspension is greatly improved recently, and on the mountain roads in the area the Wrangler is simply the largest vehicle physically able to negotiate the turns.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:48 pm
Depends what you're looking for.

As an everyday vehicle you'll be putting a lot of miles on, driving on the freeway, they suck. Noisy, harsh ride, handle like crap. Never owned one, but I've driven them. I've known a few people who bought them as their primary car and hated it. They also probably had no idea what exactly they were buying.

But if it's just something to kick around in as a toy, they're fun as hell at the same time. The fact they're so "raw" can make them fun to drive. As mentioned, great off-road vehicles. If you get one, go for the 6-cyl with a 5-spd, the 4-cyl is a dog. There's tons of aftermarket mods available for them too, they're cool in that regard. If you pull the trigger, don't be a puss and go off-roading.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:00 am
Wow I just found this thread. As Slappy said the Wrangler is not good for a daily driver. As a second car it is great, top off in the summer and 4 wheel drive in the winter. There is no limit to what you can add on to it.

My Jeep
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwCTAmcVUw3hLGiCuEF6vio3n3IlVWb3IDim5wP3pePVL0VvT1mOii5m*RHfBqvYdt*MWdTqREMVacENSlM8ffzthTk*PKvMt85cnYMGRhrBF*wR!QxZeg/DSC00328.JPG
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:09 pm
the original Wrangler
http://www.jeepglass.com/images/48-53%20CJ%203A.jpg
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:13 pm
Is/was that a CJ3 Willys?

I would love to have that.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:19 pm
There have been a few mods/upgrades since I posted that pic. Still no 50. cal or mortar trailer though.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:20 pm
yep my first 4wheeler a 1947 it could go just about anywhere (mud and snow)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:26 pm
this was my 2nd one except it was Royal Blue
http://www.v8americancarclub.com/imagesforsale/jeepale.jpg
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:39 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwALA!MVWiV5FGlJD0V3PtK5iJ2X1dS5iuLEZLhu!t6!zwzZSpQl5DD2KZHG3Y3pCRPXVaBiXO64YJEttJogbpdze9Ld5BAend7orSWsEjuEp30bWE0HLg/DSC01681.JPG

Well they are not completely impervious to snow.

But it is fun trying. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:20 pm
She can dance a Cajun rhythm
Just like a Willys in four-wheel drive . . .

Jeeps is in-dee-structable . . .
0 Replies