Ginger Ale? Ginger Beer?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:36 pm
Are Ginger Ale and Ginger Beer the same soft drink?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,468 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:36 pm
Noooooooooo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:37 pm
Ginger beer is naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty . . . but nothin' will slake your thirst on a hot day in the fields like ginger beer . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:39 pm
Aincha got any feelings on ginger ale, jefe?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:41 pm
You sayin' i should say how i really feel ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:48 pm
An icy ginger beer at the end of a sweltering round of golf is grand.

Quote:
Ginger Beer was usually cloudy in appearance, and for this reason was usually bottled in stone bottles. Ginger ale, on the other hand, was sparkling clear and often contained capsicum (extract from cayenne pepper), which increased the pungency of the beverage.

http://www.fohbc.com/BandE_Article4.html
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:50 pm
Jeez, I haven't had ginger ale in ages. I think of it as more of an East Coast beverage. I need to get me some...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:55 pm
Quote:
Ginger Ale - Ginger Beer
The first soda pop made in the U.S. was Vernor's Ginger Ale, created in Detroit, Michigan in 1866 by James Vernor. He sold it in his drug store for 30 years before opening a factory to produce it on a larger scale.

Ginger Ale is a sweet carbonated beverage flavored with ginger.

Ginger Beer has a much stronger ginger flavor than Ginger Ale. Ginger Beer is made with fermented ginger, sometimes with lemon peel, lemon juice or citric acid added. Ginger Beer is made in both nonalcoholic and mildly alcoholic versions

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fgingerale.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:57 pm
In the American South, ginger beer was always made with a strong does of vinager--it was truly nasty, but the effect was to quickly slake one's thirst. It is far better than filling your belly with cold water, and risking serious sun stroke.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:59 pm
I've never tasted ginger beer. Does it have alcohol in it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:59 pm
No, but if you are drinkin' it southern style, you wish it did . . .
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:35 am
Ginger beer is yummy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:50 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I've never tasted ginger beer. Does it have alcohol in it?

It should, as a brewed product. The 'ale' bit is misleading - it is just a mixer awaiting the firey caress of whiskey or brandy!!

However, I would seriously recommend this:

http://australian-food.com/images/products/stones/stones.jpg
Quote:
Produced in England since 1740, Stone's Original Green Ginger Wine has been made in Australia to the same ancient formula since the early 1960's. Stone's is believed to be one of the oldest registered wine or spirit brands in continuous production since its initial launch.

Ginger is one of the oldest herbs known to man, and is popular in oriental cooking and confectionary. Ginger has also been linked with many therapeutic values. The ginger used for Stone's is grown in Queensland at Buderim. The character of the ginger is drawn out by infusing it in spirit for an extended period.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:58 pm
Many thanks, people. My world has been enlarged.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 01:07 pm
Ooooh, I love ginger beer, but only find it in import or specialty stores.

I've never had the vinegar type that you're describing, Set. Sounds like I shouldn't seek it out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Well, Mac, what i always had when baling hay, or when cutting corn or cutting beans, was home-made, and the vinegar was added as an astringent, which will take your thirst away quickly. Southerners also frequently cook down their bar-b-que sauce by keeping it at a simmer all day, and continually adding vinegar. I think the resort to vinegar in ginger beer and in cooking came as a result of the widespread success of termperance movements in the south--although i don't know that, i'm only speculating.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:27 pm
A plethora of recipes including several with disclaimers that home brew is against the law most places.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-04,GGLD:en&q=home+made+ginger+beer
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:08 am
Noddy24 wrote:
.....that home brew is against the law most places.

WTF!!!!

And the United States went for Saddam Hussein while these.... criminals... went unpunished!!!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:14 am
Migod!! The world IS in a bad state!!

For those of the outlaw kind, there is only one drink for you!

GINGER WINE
Basically it is a brew of huge amounts of sugar flavoured with raw ginger, lemons and raisins. The secret is in getting some 'kick-ass' yeast to chew that sugar into submission.

For the lovely Calamity Jane - I will dedicate my next brew and drink to freedom:

Quote:
'You can have my ginger wine when you wrench it from my cold, vomit-encrusted hands - and even then I'll offer to deck you in the carpark".
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 07:24 am
@Noddy24,
Savor the pleasurable burns of ginger beer
https://i.imgur.com/LS6aZ4u.jpg

Ginger beer is mighty delicious. Especially if it has fresh ginger chunks floating around inside the bottle. Don't let that deter you from the magnificence that is ginger beer.
0 Replies