Fantasy Baseball Blues - Fantasy Baseball Gloating

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:15 pm
Anyone here (beside Child of the Light and PDiddie) a fantasy baseball fan?
I am. And, since I have many teams (9) I get both the Fantasy Baseball Blues and Fantasy Baseball Gloating.

I'll start with the gloating:

4 of my teams are leading or among the best on their leagues.

With "Babel Blabbers" I built the team around the SS and played the Oriole card, and insofar it's coming out great. My starting team is Victor Martinez, Sean Hillenbrand, Brian Roberts, Miguel Tejada, Melvin Mora, Scott Podsednik, Chone Figgins, Lew Ford and Vinny Castilla (as utility). Starters are Rodrigo Lopez, Jeremy Bonderman, Odalis Perez, Jeff Suppan and Carl Pavano.
I also downplayed closers, having picked saves only by my "cousin" Danys Báez, so I'm only trailing on saves and WHIP (but I got Gagne on the disabled list, and will recover some ground)

"Banquo's Ghosts" and "Sodom Salt Statues" are leading their leagues, with players like Dontrelle Willis, Jason Varitek, Pedro Feliz, Carl Crawford, José Mesa and Brandon Lyon.

"Children of Santo" has a .630 record on a very tough head-to-head league, and boasts an almost entirely Latin roster. I built it on pitchers like Johan Santana, Freddy García, Orlando Hernández, Esteban Loaiza, Carlos Zambrano, Mariano Rivera, Francisco "Superchamo" Rodríguez, Luis Ayala and Francisco Cordero; and has been helped players like Ramón Hernández, good ol' Vinny Castilla, Feliz, Juan Uribe and others.

Now the blues:

"Tomateros" didn't look bad in the beginning: Oliver Pérez, Al Leiter, Greg Maddux, Brian Lawrence and Loaiza were the starters, Armando Benitez, Mariano Rivera and Jason Isringhausen, the closers. With Victor Martinez, Jim Thome, Moisés Alou, Richard Hidalgo and Lance Berkman, it had power. Alfonso Soriano, Matt Lawton and César Izturis gave it some speed. Then there was the ever-present Vinny (easy late round pick).
Thome slumped before going DL, Berkman was DL until recently, so was Alou. Martinez is still in a slump and so is Hidalgo. Oliver Perez is unrecognizable, Maddux and Loaiza don't get wins even when they pitch well, Benitez is practically off for the season and Isringhausen also fell to the DL. I'm dead last... and as I get better I'm almost 30 points behind the 9th place in a league of 12. Sad

It doesn't get much better with "Aztec Mummies", another Latin team. I had 2 first basemen: Carlos Peña and Rafael Palmeiro, both batting below .200 and with very little power, Oliver is hurting my ERA and WHIP, and Benitez's injury has me fighting with my nails for such fantasy irrevelant players as Julián Tavarez and Jorge Julio. "Aztec Mummies" are also last, even if a more honorable manner.

Other stories welcome. Mutual help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,822 • Replies: 22
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:50 pm
Oh I love fanatasy baseball... is it to late to start an A2K league somewhere?

I know yahoo has a basic free fantasy game. If anybody is interested I'll see if I can still set up a league
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:47 pm
Half season leagues are possible on Yahoo, with drafts starting on May 16th, up to June 18th.

Jpinmilwaukee, how is (are) your team(s) doing?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:03 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Half season leagues are possible on Yahoo, with drafts starting on May 16th, up to June 18th.

Jpinmilwaukee, how is (are) your team(s) doing?

Horrible... last year I had a keeper league on Sandbox and did pretty good but I decided I didn't like that league so I just signed up for some random league at yahoo. I missed the draft and ended up pretty bad. Then two other guys beat me to the waiver wire and picked up every scrap that was left over from the draft.

I have some decent pitchers: R. Johnson, greg Maddox, Tom Glavine and Jon Garland for starters and Danys Báez and Kieth Foulke for closers. It seems to be a pretty slow start for the older guys though (Johnson, Maddux and Glavine). Foulke is having a rough start as well.

My offense is whats killing me. I have Damon and Jacque Jones in the outfield and Bonds if and when he comes back. My entire infield is patched together with no name guys on a hot streak. Once their streak is done I'm going to have to find somebody else.

Which leagues are you in? I liked Sandbox's set up but they are horrible with scoring and updates in a timely manner. My usual crew isn't really together this year so I don't have a very searious league right now.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:50 pm
I am at Yahoo and at SportingNews.

The most fun one, though, has nothing to do with real baseball players: Bush League Baseball, on mlb.com.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:58 am
Double Post Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:59 am
My team is pretty good...Could have been better if I weren't so trade happy.

At catcher I have Jason Varitek, great one to have, he is so consisntant. At first I have underrated Jason Morneau, who has hit 5 home runs in the past week. 2B has been a limbo position. I started with Todd Walker, who started the season by batting .390 something, and tearing his knee up, that sucks. I picked up Luis Castillio who is a good backup plan. Shortstop is one of those trade bone-ups I was talking about. I traded Mark Mulder and D-Willis for Nomar Garciaparra and Jeff Weaver. Nomar had such a great spring that I had to get him, and both D WIllis and Mark Mulder are unbelievably inconsistent. They could both combine for 3 wins after the All-Star break, so I'm not that upset. I currently have Neifi Perez at SS, who is doing better than you'd expect. For 3b, I made another trade. I started with Aubrey Huff, but I packaged him in a deal to get Manny Ramirez. So then I traded Barry Zito for David Wright, who is my current 3b. My OF is well balanced. I have Corey Patterson, Manny Ramirez, and Preston Wilson. I alternate my UTIL position between Lyle Overbay and Dave Roberts.

My pitching is the best part of my team.

I have Carlos Zambrano and Johan Santana as my two SP.
Derek Lowe, Jeff Weaver, Orlando Hernandez, and rookie sensation Gustavo Chacin are my other starters, and my relievers are Keith Foulke, injured Marlins closer Mota, impressive Miguel Batista, and current Cardinals closer Julian Tavarez.

After the first 4 weeks I am in the middle of the pack, 2 games out of 3rd place.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:07 am
jp: "no name guys on a hot streak" is the alternative name of the game.

Child: If I had done The Mulder/Willis-Garciaparra/Weaver trade, I'd be pulling my hairs... if I had some hair to pull.

I've done some dumb trading myself, thinking I was dumbing the other guy out: I gave Piercynsky, Huff and Clement for Victor Martinez, Thome and Leiter. A couple of months later he offers me Takatsu and wants Chacín. He truly believes I'm a retard.

Now, if you're watching a game on TV, don't you get mixed feelings? When your pitcher is facing your batter. Or worse: when your pitcher is facing your favorite team.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:28 am
fbaezer wrote:
Now, if you're watching a game on TV, don't you get mixed feelings? When your pitcher is facing your batter. Or worse: when your pitcher is facing your favorite team.

I hate it. I never root against my team but it does make the lose a little less painful if you know the other guy just got you some huge points in your fantasy league.

What else is bad is when you have two starting pitchers facing each other. There are so many options: One wins one loses. Both pitch great games but one wins and one loses. Both get shelled in the second inning. Neither factors in the decision.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:49 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
What else is bad is when you have two starting pitchers facing each other. There are so many options: One wins one loses. Both pitch great games but one wins and one loses. Both get shelled in the second inning. Neither factors in the decision.

This one is worse:
The other day I had Chacín face Rodrigo López. Chacín accepted 2 earned runs in 7 innings. López accepted 2 runs, one earned run in 7 innings. The game ended in 12 innings. Neither of my pitchers got the win.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:47 pm
I had a good week last week... not good enough to make any real grounds but it is a start. If my hitting would heat up I would have a pretty good team... thats a pretty big if though.

Half season leagues are now open in yahoo... anybody interested???
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:01 pm
Count me in.

I suggest we first make a critical mass here.

>On an aside. I forgot to activate Livan on Saturday... daaah!<
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:22 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Count me in.

I suggest we first make a critical mass here.

Yeah... how many do we need? 10?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 07:25 pm
I dunno.

Maybe we can start with 7, and fill the other spots as non A2K people arrive.
But a league with less than half A2Kers would not be as fun.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:14 pm
I'm already in a random public league and a private league with friends on Yahoo, but I'll be down to get another.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:18 am
Alright... thats 3. Who else could we get?

region? panzade? george?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:36 am
I set up a Yahoo league.

eight teams: head to head.
Live Draft: Sun May 22 4:30pm CDT

I will PM the information to those interested.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:00 pm
By the way... if you can't make the live draft you can always set it to auto-pick and pre-rank your players.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:54 am
We got 4 teams so far. I'm Dangling Carrots.

Four places left. Time to sign up (or to sign in, damn English verbal phrases!).
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:02 am
D'artagnan is the Beaneaters
Child of Light is "My Proud partner" (I think)
Slappy said he was going to sign up but was having troubles registering.

And I am the Brew Town Bombers.

Should we start a new thread (or change this one) to the official A2K fantasy baseball thread?

Also, if we don't fill the spots by the end of the day tomorrow I am going to open it up to the public... so if you know anybody who would want to play pass on the info.
0 Replies