Good Things About Garlic

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:27 pm
I just learned that garlic was actually worshipped by the ancient Egyptians! Who knew?

And I have heard that it is good for the heart, and contrary to popular belief, I don't think it actually gives you bad breath. Garlic kicks ass. Plus, if you have a problem with vampires, get yourself some garlic, and BAM! You're safe!

What other good things are there about garlic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,899 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:31 pm
Vampires...they hate it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:38 pm
Agreed. The vampire thing is big.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:43 pm
Hey Kick what did the vampire say to the college girl?

see ya next period.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:44 pm
Hehehe...nice.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:48 pm
There are now over 12 well designed studies published around the world that confirm that garlic in several forms can reduce cholesterol. Most recently researchers in Oxford and America have published some summaries of all the good data on garlic.

Garlic as lipid lowering agent - a meta analysis

Silagy CS, Neil HAW, 1994, The Journal of the Royal College of Physicians, Vol 28 No 1:39-45

The authors state that garlic supplements have an important part to play in the treatment of high cholesterol and that this paper reviews all the published and unpublished data from around the world. Overall a 12% reduction in total cholesterol was shown over a placebo and that this reduction was normally evident after only 4 weeks treatment and that this was likely to persist for as long as the study was in progress.

The largest study so far was conducted in Germany where 261 patients from 30 general practices were given either garlic powder tablets or a placebo. After a 12 week treatment period mean serum cholesterol levels dropped by 12% in the garlic treated group and triglycerides dropped by 17% compared to the placebo group.

GARLIC LOWERS CHOLESTEROL! Heh!? Heh?! HEH!!!??? Good stuff!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:48 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Hey Kick what did the vampire say to the college girl?

see ya next period.

I heard a variation of that the other day:

What did one lesbian vampire say to the other lesbo vampire?
-See ya' next month.

Anyway, garlic is awesome. I put garlic powder on pretty much everything I cook. However, I believe it does make the breath funky, and supposedly it comes out in your sweat too.

I heard garlic holds the world record for bench press, and could knock out a moose with a single punch.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:49 pm
Garlic also holds the land speed record, I believe.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:51 pm
It makes food taste good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:05 pm
Good against cancer, also.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:11 pm
"Garlic powder"???! pfft.

Garlic is good, Iput raw or lightly sauteed garlic in everything. I think it effects people's breath on a person-by-person basis. Or else, some of us just don't smell it on our own breath. <burp! mmmm, garlic>
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:20 pm
Look. You're dealing with someone who's idea of "cooking" is dumping a Skillet Sensation into a pan. Garlic powder is what I'm sticking with.

Pfft right back at you there, acting like you're a great cook like Chef Boyardee or something(like ANYONE could ever make Ninja Turtle raviolis like he does...to die for).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:21 pm
It doesn't take a good chef to sautee fresh garlic. Slappy, you could toss in some chopped garlic before you skillet your frozen hunk of dinner.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:27 pm
Garlic powder is still real garlic though, right? Get a little flavor and the health benefits.

I'm off to bed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:32 pm
not the same flavor and the health benefits in powdered garlic pobably don't stack up against fresh garlic.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:33 pm
Garlic makes me fart.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:27 am
It is not your breath so much as the smell of garlic stays in your stomach, like onions. I will usually take those pills that work on the smell internally (from you stomach) as breath mints only help in the short term. Also some people after eating lots of garlic and then sweat - the smells comes out of their pores - gross.

The other benefit of garlic, I see, is when taking public transportation - no one sits next to you!
0 Replies