Metals that don't rust.

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:48 pm
Hi gang. I need a metal stool for work and the only reqirement is that it's made out of a metal that doesn't rust. The stool will be hosed down every day.
I know stainless steel is one, but can you tell me what my other options are?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 32,139 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:51 pm
Stainless steel is not 100% reliably so. If you intend to wet the item each day, you'd have to dry it carefully were it stainless steel, to assure that no rust starts. Aluminum corrodes, but, unlike ferous oxide, which admits moisture and therefore promotes continued corrosion, aluminum, having corroded, corrodes no further, as long as the surface corrosion is not removed. Any other metal used, such as brass, would be prohibitively expensive.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:55 pm
Thanks Setanta. One of the ladies that works there has one that her son made in a medal shop and it's very light, so I think it's aluminum.
I can't find any anywhere, so I'll probably have to have it made. This sucks because I need it ASAP.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:04 pm
The corrosion on the surface of aluminum looks like a gray dust adhering to the surface. Actually, aluminum does continue to corrode, but unless exposed directly to the air, the un-corroded surface corrodes so slowly as to be corrosion-resistant for all practical purposes. If you do not clean off the powdery corrosion on the surface of the aluminum, then it can resist further corrosion for a very long time.

There is no cap stone on the Washington's monument in D.C. (that's the tall obelisk). Rather, the top is capped with aluminum, precisely because it will corrode so slowly as never to need maintenance. Additionally, aluminum was very expensive when that was built, so it constituted an ostentacious extravagence.
fishin

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:33 pm
Montana wrote:
I can't find any anywhere, so I'll probably have to have it made. This sucks because I need it ASAP.

You looking for a specific style???
http://www.homedecorators.com/search.php?classification=6&definition=1482,1520&thumbsshown=8

Doh! Click on the "Aluminim" link over to teh left hand side of that page. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:34 pm
Cool. Thanks for the info. I just found one I like a lot on line, but it'll take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to ship.
Do you think a metal shop would make one quick for me?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:36 pm
Depends how busy they are I suppose. They don't look like they'd be very hard to make but metal work isn't something I'm very famaliar with.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:38 pm
We used metal fabricators quite a bit, and aluminum is neither difficult to bend, nor weld. However, finding the extruded aluminum which would be suitable for your purpose would not be easy, and they'd likely take it out of your hide when they presented the bill.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:42 pm
Might I put in a word for anodized Titanium. Its the metal that all the high fashion accouts are being made of. Itdevelops a very cool irridescent patina.Everything cept nobel metals will oxidize to some degree ,
Course the only problem is finding billet and someone to lathe it in New friggin Brunswick.
Take a mild steel punched metal and have it powder coated. That would be a fashion statement because the powder coatings are put on in a plasma and you can get hundreds of colors. I have an old John Deere tractor seat thats been powder coated a John Deere green and its been outfitted with stainless barstool legs. It is the cats ass.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:58 pm
Fishin
Thanks for the site. Those are exatly what I had in mind. This one in particular.

http://www.homedecorators.com/images/items/medium/m2446510440.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:02 pm
Setanta and Farmer

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna call a few local metal shops to see what they can do and get some estimates as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:03 pm
Buy an old rusty metal chair , have it sand blasted , and then powder coated in a nice pink. Cool.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:05 pm
Cool! They ship pretty quick too. I've bought some other things from them and never had any problems.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:05 pm
Don't know if they would accept that, though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:09 pm
Thanks again Fishin. That works for me since I need it like yesterday and I feel very good about the fact that you ordered from them yourself :-D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:13 pm
You might check with local medical supply stores. I know they carry short stools.

Does this mean if you have your own stool, you can sit down for part of 14 hours?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:44 am
Noddy
The stool can't be very short. The picture of the stool that I posted here is the one I'm going to order as it's the right height and exactly what I'm looking for. God bless Fishin :-D
In the mean time, I'm going to the city today to find one to use until mine gets here. The one I get today may not go with their requirements, but I will tell them that either I'm allowed to use it or I can't work until I get the one I ordered. I think they'll bend since they obviously need all the help they can get.
I hurt my back several years ago and standing in one spot for long periods of time has been a problem since then.
If I have my own stool, I'll be sitting for the majority of the time.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:46 am
Metals that dont corrode
gold
platinum
irridium
palladium
rhodium

aluminium has a tight oxide layer that doesnt look like corrosion, and prevents further oxidation.

all things considered, without doubt the best metal for a chair would be platinum. Or, if thats a trifle expensive, plastic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:57 am
Hey, Buddy, this is a family site . . . if you want to practice self-amuse, go some'eres else . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:54 pm
Steve
Thanks for your advice :-D

Ok, so I went to the city today to try and find something that my boss would allow me to use until I get another stool and I found one that is chrome finished. This got me to thinking that chrome doesn't rust very quickly and would be perfect for the time being.
I had to buy a small table and another stool with it because it was sold as a set, but it worked out perfectly since I wanted a small table and chair for my sitting room.
0 Replies