Volkswagen Kombi...bad?

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:40 am
I usually stray away from posting on subjects I know nothing about. Consider this the exception Laughing

My dream vehicle is a VW Kombi. Oh, how beautiful they are...

http://www.kiwikombis.com/gallery/medium/coffee%20split%20med.jpg

I am very confused on the matter though and can't seem to find any information worthwhile on the internet (though I did stumble across a very interesting "hippy van" page...).

Thus I turn to you. I apologize for the naive tone of these questions, but you gotta try somehow:

-I have been told, endlessly, that the VW vans are not the best as far as maintenance. I need to know if this would be a not-so-wise choice for a first car, despite my undying lust for it.

-I have seen some really, really revamped Kombis. However, I don't know if they are new models or just makes from the 60's that have been refurnished. I can't find any information on the VW website, which may be a clue, but I need to know if they are making new models..?

-If I get the answers I am expecting to get on these two, then that will leave me without the safe/convienent possibiity of owning a Kombi for my first car. So, if you could, are there any vans (not mini-vans and not SUVs) that would be suitable for a clueless teenager?

I appreciate it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,664 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:52 am
Well, your pic shows a VW, commonly known as "Bulli" from the 60's/70's.

The are now named "Multivan" and look like this

http://cc07.volkswagen.de/cc4gp/nfz-media/multivan/chooserhead.jpg

The search for 'Kombi' didn't come with suitable results, since a 'Kombi' is an estate car/station wagon.

More here.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:50 am
This might be a better choice for you Sanctuary

http://www.vw.com/newbeetle/

They're safe, they have great mileage/gallon, they're reliable, and they're fun to drive.

My first car was a VW beetle,
a much older version though,
and I still reminisce about "him" Laughing
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:41 am
Walter - the site seems informative, thank you - I'll take some time to read it tonight.

CJ - mmm...I dislike bugs though. My obsession lies with vans, but the old metal vans, not the new plastic, rounded/curved 'modern' look. The updated photo that Walter posted depresses me Laughing .

I always tell my mom that my dream is to own a child-molester van, the kind that look so trashy that they're comfortable..

I doubt it'd be good for random driving sprees and short trips to the convienence store, eh?

If I did get a bug, it would have to be an old one; the look of the newer ones puts me off (like I said, I just don't like the 'rounded, plastic' look of newer cars).

Any more suggestions would be fine - van or no van :wink:
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:27 pm
The word "Kombi" means combination. There were two models; the standard with no side windows, and the deluxe windowed models. A Kombi was intended as a person transport and had all the seats and windows; a combination of the two styles. Kombis typically did not use the two tone paint and they were the ones used as the basis for the Westfalia campers.

A bus is a good place to get a crash course in how cars work Smile Those old VWs are incredibly simple mechanically. The engines have a relatively short life, partly because they are an early modular design that wore quickly, and partly because they are air cooled. Temperatures can spike easily and oil life suffers. You'll spend a lot of time working on it, but its pretty easy to diagnose and fix since its so simple.

Its also very tough to find one that is free of rust, even in dry climates. Look hard when buying.

Visit http://www.thesamba.com for more information than you could possibly imagine on old VWs. The vehicle you love is typically referred to as either a bus, type2, or somewhat improperly, microbus. The pre-68 model like you pictured is typically referred to as a split-window. Kombi, Standard, Deluxe, Westfalia, Barndoor, Panel, and Walkthrough names all describe various options and layouts.

Here's a direct link to a gallery at the samba :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album.php
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:29 pm
Wow Curtis - awesome! Thank you so much for all that info, going to the site right now... Very Happy
0 Replies

micki1234

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:48 pm
kombis are great!
Go to www.vintagebus.com they have tons of info on vintage buses. Good luck man!
0 Replies

Darcy

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:04 am
Hi,
VWs are great especially Kombis.
Cheers.
D

This URL will show links to refurbished VW Kombis
VW Campers
0 Replies