Florida Castle Doctrine Bill

Hunce

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 11:11 am
cw
Could you imagine if it was manditory for all citezens to have a cw permit? the criminals wouldn't even trust each other-They wouldn't dare even look at some one in a bad way-all states should have it-it was long overdue
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 05:35 pm
Re: christians
Hunce wrote:
Well it looks like many died for nothing if all it would have took is do nothing - wonder what language us Christians would be forced to be speaking if we just turned the other cheek especially now-think the alqueda would repent and give up there killings because we don't agree with them?

Hunce,

This is the stupidest thing I have read in a long time.

Jesus didn't speak English, nor did any Christians for centuries after the religion was founded.

The original Christians spoke Aramaic and Hebrew. The religion started in the Middle East, and it is certain that Christians spoke Arabic long before they spoke English. There are many Christians who speak Arabic as their native tongue now.

But, I digress. The question you ask is an interesting one. What would happen to Christians who actually followed the Bible, specifically the teaching and life of Christ? I will leave aside the question about whether people who don't follow Christ's teachings should even call themselves Christians.

But, have you read the Bible. There are many passages in the Bible, both on the great sacrafice of Christ (the best example) and on the lives of Christians in the first century.

There are two major themes in the New Testament that address this. The first is what Jesus express as "My Kingdom is not of this world". If you are focussed on heaven, you don't need to worry about what your enemies do. You are earning your reward in heaven.

The second is faith. If you follow the teachings of Christ, God will take care of you. The Bible is clear that if you have faith, God will protect you until it is His will for you to join Him in eternity.

The Apostle Paul wrote:

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.] Do not be conceited.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
0 Replies

Hunce

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 05:43 pm
Christians
Well we finally found out how to win over terrorists-we will send you there to talk to ben laden and he will surrender and dismantle all his killing operations-also I was refering to english as we are today-it could be translated to the language spoken then and them being forced to speak anothers language because they didn't take matters into their hands properly. Go to Ben Laden and help us all-------
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 05:55 pm
Hunce: this will come as a shock to you, I imagine, so perhaps you should sit down before you read this. .....

Even today there are Christians who speak languages other than English. Honest.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 05:56 pm
... and welcome to A2K softsol. :wink:
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:04 pm
I am curious if, with all the people in the United States who call themselves Christians, there are any who actually take the words of Christ seriously.

It is amazing how many so-called Christians are so adamant about maintaining their ability to shoot people who wrong them, and so willing to assert that the teachings of Christ are illogical.

Given the words and example of Christ, and of his early followers, there is no rationale for any support for the Castle Doctrine.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:09 pm
Well, I appreciate your views, ebrown_p, but if an intruder breaks into my home during the night, I will shoot him. Jesus might have instructed us to turn the other cheek, but I don't think Jesus said anything about not protecting your children and family from harm.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:14 pm
Jesus also said in Luke Chapter 22:

Quote:
35Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
"Nothing," they answered.

36He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

So in Luke 22:36, Jesus instructs his disciples to buy a sword if they don't have one. Why? Turning the cheek is in response to being insulted. Keeping yourself and your family safe from harm is an entirely appropriate thing to do.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:19 pm
John 15:13:

Quote:
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Does that sound like a condemnation of self-defense?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 07:06 pm
Tico,

Have you read the Bible. There is no example of Jesus, or any Christian in the Bible using a violence to defend himself-- except for the one example below which Jesus rebuked.

Read what happened with that sword that Peter brought (in response to Luke 22).

Matt 22 wrote:

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

At that time Jesus said to the crowd, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled." Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

The quote that you give is a perfect example of my point.

Quote:

"Greater love has no man than this, than he lay down his life for his friends".

If you want to know what this means, look at the example of Jesus. He followed this teaching.

Quote:

For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it?

But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.

To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
"He committed no sin,
and no deceit was found in his mouth." When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats.

Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

This is in addition to the very clear teaching of Jesus in Matt 5 ("Do not resist an evil man"). Which also was reinforced by His example on the cross.

The position you are taking is contrary to both the teachings and life of Christ.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 08:16 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Tico,

Have you read the Bible. There is no example of Jesus, or any Christian in the Bible using a violence to defend himself-- except for the one example below which Jesus rebuked.

Read what happened with that sword that Peter brought (in response to Luke 22).

Matt 22 wrote:

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

At that time Jesus said to the crowd, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled." Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

The quote that you give is a perfect example of my point.

Quote:

"Greater love has no man than this, than he lay down his life for his friends".

If you want to know what this means, look at the example of Jesus. He followed this teaching.

Quote:

For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it?

But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.

To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
"He committed no sin,
and no deceit was found in his mouth." When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats.

Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

This is in addition to the very clear teaching of Jesus in Matt 5 ("Do not resist an evil man"). Which also was reinforced by His example on the cross.

The position you are taking is contrary to both the teachings and life of Christ.

I am a Christian, and I have read the Bible, several times. This is a point that has been debated since Jesus walked the earth. You are suggesting that when Jesus told the disciples to buy the sword, he didn't mean it?

There are many cases in the Bible where swords are used, both for good and bad purposes. Clearly the old testament is full of examples of using force to defend self or others. That one should not resist evil is not the message Jesus taught.

What about going to war? Are you of the opinion that Jesus taught that we should not resist evil to the point that we should not have resisted Hitler? Had Hitler not been fought in war and defeated, evil would have ruled the world.

Jesus' nonresistance at the cross does not mean that we should not defend ourselves. He allowed himself to be arrested because that was the fullfillment of God's will.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
Tico,

That one should not resist evil is exactly the message that Jesus taught.

Go get your Bible, and read Matthew chapter five. In verse 38 it says...
Quote:
... do not resist an evil person

And, read this in context, it talks about loving your enemies and turning the other cheek. There is no question about Jesus' intention here-- "Do not resist an evil person".

I have given you the words of Jesus which are quite clear. I have given you the example of Jesus, especially on the cross, which speaks volumes. I have given you the writings of early Christians.

All of them are are quite clear. Love your enemies, don't take vengence, seek the kingdom which is not of this world, have faith in God.

What are you basing your position on? It is not the Bible. Your one example from the New Testament is the sword, which when used against men of violence, resulted in a rebuke from Jesus and a healing. This was followed by Jesus's peaceful and impressive willingness to follow his own teaching-- "Do not resist an evil man".

As far as your invocation of Hitler. Again I refer to the teachings and example of Jesus and the early Christians. The Roman Empire was a evil, brutal and murderous regime... often against the Jews. We already know the example of Jesus against this persecution.

But I challenge you give me one single example, even against a murderous regime, from the New Testament (i.e. the early Christians) where the use of violence was either practiced, or even suggested.

You don't see this at all. Rather you see writings like this one from Revelations...

Quote:

They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.
Therefore rejoice, you heavens
and you who dwell in them!

Jesus' example, Jesus' word and the example of the early Christians who faced great persecutions are very clear.

Jesus stated that his teachings are very difficult to follow. But there is no room for debate. His teachings and his life are both very clear.

You shouldn't call yourself a Christian if you are not willing to follow them.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:52 pm
You read it differently than me ... you read it differently than a good many people. The way I read it is consistent with Jesus' teachings. If you are insulted, turn the other cheek. If you are being attacked with a sword, you should defend yourself. If your family is being attacked, you should defend yourself. You are a pacifist ... I most definitely am not.

"Love your enemies, don't take vengence, seek the kingdom which is not of this world, have faith in God." Yes, indeed. But none of that says not to defend yourself or others from evil. Jesus in the Garden told His disciples to not draw their swords because what has happening was the will of God. Read His words and see that is what He was saying. Then, explain to my why you think Jesus told His disciples to sell the cloak and buy the sword?

Jesus didn't tell us to cuss, yet I find myself cursing occasionally. Jesus didn't sin, yet I do daily. Yet I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. How dare you tell me I shouldn't call myself a Christian because I don't follow Christ's teachings?

Good night ebrown.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:21 pm
Then you can't be a good Christian in Australia, because they, in their higher wisdom, have banned swords.
0 Replies

Hunce

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:11 pm
Fla Castle
Let it be known that if you intend to harm me, my friends, loves, even anyone that don't like defending ones self---I WILL DO IT DEADLY OR NOT--- it is sad that there are those that think it is ok for others to kill/maim etc. others so they can get what they want without working for it. I have had several situations over the years whereby some thought intimidation (skinheads) would get them respect by marching up our street in WA. What they didn't take into consideration, that my neighbors and myself was brought up in the belief that if you want respect you earn it. Not demand it. After a 'proper' discussion with him, the next day he brought 3 of his friends with him-After the following 'discusion' we had no more goose steppers come down our street. All we did was allow ourselves OUR version of free speech. We are allowed to protect ourselves here in FLA. As it should be-if you are a criminal intent on doing harm would you want to atack someone that under the law they may be armed and with an attitude besides? The attitude is not justifiable, BUT, why take chances?
0 Replies

daveman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:17 am
For some reason my post was entered twice (I must have pushed the wrong button). Sorry.

Daveman Embarrassed
0 Replies

daveman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:28 am
First off, I'm a new member (applause). I gotta say, being a resident of the state of MA, we are not all that liberal minded here. With over 200 pistol and rifle clubs AND with basic pistol courses running to full capacity since I have paid attention (late 2001), this is not a state with a whole lotta people just rolling over and playing dead for the criminals-at-large.

A few months ago there was a gun show in a nearby town in MA. It was packed to capacity. My wife drove by and told me that there wasn't a parking space to be found. It was so successful that another one was booked at the same place for mid September. No sir! Don't think that this is all "lay and play dead" land. I had been to a previous gun show at the same hotel in 2001 and I can tell you, I had to park three parking lots away. I stopped to speak to an officer that was directing traffic and he said that he had never seen this many cars attending a local hotel convention-type show.

If I mention anything that's incorrect, please correct me. No problem. I've read through the posts quickly and might have misconstrued some stuff. I apologize in advance. However, let me get this straight - there are some folks in my neck of the woods that conclude that there is never an appropriate time for the use of force by a private citizen?" That really beats the band with a strong lack of common sense.

Are there people out there that really think it is fine and dandy for someone to break into my home uninvited, and use me as a target of opportunity? And in addition to this, while they are robbing me of my very right to live, I should just play along. Or tell them they shouldn't do this, or watch them kill my wife and child? Let me just understand the premise? Am I getting it?

Why would I want to live in a place that would allow a citizen to tolerate this? Why would anyone? Wait for the police? Isn't it common knowlege that the police only have the responsibility to protect the public AT LARGE? Not private individuals. Anyway, how many minutes do you want to be waiting while being tormentedÂ…? 2? 6? 19? 37? What number works for you?

I agree with the fact that you should make all attempts to avoid confrontation and to make safe exit where possible. But how would you know that there are no accomplices waiting outside your home. Escape to where? Do what?

Sadly, the people that make these vain arguments that we live in a modern society with laws to protect, really do not get it. Dodge City (someone wrote)? I don't think we have come all that far from the Wild West. Just look around you. What makes a carjacker different from an outlaw that overtook a stagecoach or a train for that matter? Oh, I know - people just don't do that anymore.

I have no disrespect for people who think differently than me. I wouldn't want a world full of "me." I also don't sit around my house waiting impatiently for the next criminal to break in and play a game of cat and mouse. I'm busy and have things to do. I love camping, RV'ing, bicycling, reading, walking and seeing new things. However, I just had to stop and respond because I was RIVETED by the posts to this site. I don't understand people that are happy to say "there is never a time that extreme force is justified." Never? That is an absolute - and there are no real absolutes in this world. I am positive that the day before the World Trade Center went down, people were ABSOLUTELY SURE that those buildings would be there at the end of the next business day.

I'm a schoolteacher on a summer break. I am not the frog that has been slowly boiled to death in a pot of water (if you don't know that one, it's a great story). I don't respect nor do I pay attention to the gestapo media. Through my lifetime I have seen that our government does want us to forfeit our rights - slowly and deliberately - in the name of "the public good." Hey, you either see it or you don't. 9/11 was a litmus test with that. Federal and State beaureaucrats are happy to have you give up your rights - AND THAT'S WHEN I took an interest in owning firearms. To confiscate (if you will) the very last of human dignities one can have- to protect yourself.

I was not meaning to be harsh to anyone. I do enjoy firearms for target shooting and I now am looking to get into defensive pistol. I like to shoot. Some people like to sit on their sofa and watch other people exercise. I find that kind of hobby relaxing - except for the fact that I can't stand the cleaners that are presently available to use after a day on the range. They do make me a bit nauseous.

Please don't hide behind religion. I've never quite understood the concept (although I am Jewish by default) of paying to be controlled. Here's the concept: people happy to relinquish control of their own being and free will AND pay for the privilege because they don't yet feel comfortable with facts like THE EARTH IS NOT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE. I'm not one for mind control - doesn't even figure into the equation. It's almost as insane as worshipping movie stars or people of notoriety. Now, all kidding aside, can't you tell I'm just a plain ol' simple liberal boy from MA? Actually I'm one of the 19 registered Libertarians in the state - and LOVING IT!

Regards and Peace
The Daveman Razz
0 Replies

Hunce

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:38 am
Florida Castle Doctrine Bill
Daveman hit the nail rather square. Unfortunately there are some like Oprah that think that the NRA is on par with the KKK, as she stated on a talk show,the exact one defys me right now, but can be backed up. In Orlando FL there is a news caster, that when the NRA was offering gun saftey and awareness classes to children and adults, she made her discust very known to the viewers. To me that tells me she would rather have children destroy themselves than have a group, reguardless of there stature, show them the dangers and downfalls of weapons. I am 62 and have been raised with guns since day one, and show me one true free society that allows no one the right to have guns. Unlike the UK and the 'down unders' that have taken them away, in which crimes have increased, there is no such society.......
0 Replies

daveman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:58 am
Well, I appreciate that Hunce. I do feel that I do need to add something. I would never want to pick up my firearm, point it at someone and pull that trigger. Never. Since I've procured a license (with the blessing of my wife), I say those words to myself everyday. I would never want to pull that trigger. What decent person would? I have a great family, a real cute dog (who's a great early warning system), and a fairly good life. It's the events that transpired on 9/11 that convinced me to take matters of family safety into my own hands. I knew exactly who was the cause of that event long before any fact-finding commission gave their reports. Blame the terrorists? Why? They had an objective, accomplished their mission and our country allowed it to happen.

Break that down to a smaller environment (the street you live on) and fortell just how much they can allow to happen to you.

An ostritch is happy to bury its head in the sand and tell itself that there is nothing to worry about. I did that for the longest time. I'm not an ostritch any more.

Peace - Daveman Smile
0 Replies