Motor Sports

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:06 pm
I was going to say - find out how many football players have died in the years that those racecar drivers have died. See how the stats measure up. In the last 10 years I bet more football players have died than racecar drivers.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:01 am
I don't think the stats would support you lk - there are many more football players than racecar drivers - nfl, european, colleges, semi-pro, arena, high-school, 10-15 year old leagues. The NFL teams each have something like 60 players on their roster at a time, 30+ teams, lots of turnover. There hasn't been a death during an NFL game since a Detroit Lions receiver died in the late 60s (pretty sure). There have been a couple of players paralyzed, and a couple of deaths in training camps, but thats from heat, heart problems, drugs, or a combination of same, not from the inherent risks of play.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:48 am
How many women die every year just in child birth? Should we ban having children. Drive at your own risk is the name of the game as is anything else. How many people die every year from simply walking on the sidewalk as they get mowed down from a drunk driver or someone who lost control of their car? Live and let live! It's their lives!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:38 am
There's only one solution I see fit: let's ban life.

No more sex for any of you.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:40 am
Gee Slappy - how will you and I earn any money then ??
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:45 am
I said "any of you," not me. I'm still pimpin'.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:47 am
Oh !! Btw, did u get a chance to take a look at my resume ? Will you be my agent...oops pimp ?
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:12 am
Transportation is essential. Procreation is essential. Auto racing is not.

And I believe Larry's comment on the relative rate of death in professional football -- or any other sport for that matter -- is correct. The death rate in auto racing is truly disproportionate. Yet, as evidenced by the apathy on display here, no one seems to care.

But then again, I think tobacco smoking should be banned too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:15 am
Ok, Larry, Good point.

Gautam - good to see you!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:59 am
muerte wrote:
Transportation is essential. Procreation is essential. Auto racing is not.

umm..as far as I knew transporation was not only not essential but basically dangerous in all forms.
Procreation, while its all good, also is not essential for all people..and yeah, Ive heard of people dying on both ends of that act as well.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:18 pm
humm..seems mostly I am finding that between baby boomers trying to keep fit and high school/college sports are the largest number of injuries:

Quote:

Each year, more than 750,000 Americans report injuries sustained during recreational sports, with 82,000 involving brain injuries. In fact, brain injuries cause more deaths than any other sports injury.

Football

Football is responsible for more than 250,000 head injuries in the United States. In any given season, 10 percent of all college players and 20 percent of all high school players sustain brain injuries.

Boxing

Nearly 90 percent of professional boxers have sustained a brain injury.

Soccer

Approximately 5 percent of soccer players sustain brain injury as a result of head-to-head contact, falls, or being struck on the head by the ball. Heading or hitting the ball with the head is the riskiest activity; when done repeatedly, it can cause a concussion.

Horseback Riding

Brain injuries account for 60 percent of equestrian-related fatalities, and 17 percent of all equestrian injuries are brain injuries.

Gymnastics

Gymnastics has one of the highest injury rates among girls' sports and the risk of injury increases with the level of competition.

Baseball and Softball, In-lineSkating, Roller-skating and Skateboarding

Brain injuries occur when skaters fall and hit their heads on the pavement. The leading cause of injury and death in baseball is being hit by the ball; the second leading cause is collision.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:33 pm
Just a general article of topical interest.

sports and death - an article from NEastern U.

This one says that 11 young football players died in a 4 year period during the 90s of heat stroke.

It says: "Football is widely regarded as the most dangerous sport as far as catastrophic injuries and deaths are concerned. But the incidence of injury per 100,000 participants is higher in both gymnastics and ice hockey." Maybe car racing wasn't part of the research set.

AND it says: "While an all-time high of 36 deaths directly due to football occurred in 1968, there were none in 1990. Although that remains the only year on record to have no direct football deaths, the average number of deaths per year has plummeted, from 20.7 in the decade proceeding the rule changes (1967-76), to 7.9 in the decade following (1977-86), to just 4.0 during the past 12 years."

Death of Football Players By Heat Stroke
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:13 pm
Looks like we've got a lot of sports to ban.

I think we should also ban pepsi. I heard in over 5,000 car accident-deaths last year, there was a open bottle of pepsi found inside the car.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
yup, pepsi's gotta go!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:03 pm
Quote:

Racing Fatalities

Recent crash-related deaths in motor sports

Driver Site Date

NASCAR

Dale Earnhardt Daytona Beach, Fla. Feb. 18, 2001

Tony Roper Fort Worth, Texas Oct. 13, 2000

Kenny Irwin Loudon, N.H. July 7, 2000

Adam Petty Loudon, N.H. May 12, 2000

John Nemechek Homestead, Fla. March 21, 1997

Rodney Orr Daytona Beach, Fla. Feb. 14, 1994

Neil Bonnett Daytona Beach, Fla. Feb. 11, 1994

Clifford Allison Brooklyn, Mich. Aug. 13, 1992

J.D. McDuffie Watkins Glen, N.Y. Aug. 11, 1991

Grant Adcox Hampton, Ga. Nov. 10, 1989

CART

Greg Moore Fontana, Calif. Sept. 30, 1999

Gonzalo Rodriguez Monterey, Calif. Sept. 11, 1999

Jeff Krosnoff Toronto July 14, 1996

Jovy Marcelo Indianapolis May 15, 1992

Gordon Smiley Indianapolis May 15, 1982

Formula One

Ayrton Senna Imola, Italy May 1, 1994

Roland Ratzenberger Imola, Italy April 30, 1994

Ricardo Paletti Montreal June 13, 1982

Gilles Villeneuve Spa Franc., Belgium May 8, 1982

IRL

Scott Brayton Indianapolis May 17, 1996

1982-2001 fatalities....consdiering other sports, Id say this was pretty darn good stats...
but you know, thats just me.
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:15 pm
My, how we can twist and spin when it suits our needs.

quinn1, I'll assume you were being facetious about procreation not being a necessity; it certainly isn't for everyone but someone's got to do it. But to clarify my point, just in case you weren't, there are certainly essential life activities that can be dangerous but that also can not be avoided in order for life to go on. Transportation and child birth are two of these. Auto racing is not.

Also, my point has always been regarding professional sport, not the weekend jogger who drops dead a half mile from home or the couch potato who bursts an aorta while trying to leg out a triple at the company softball game. I'm talking about big business feeding and milking dangerous recreational activities -- and the fans who support them -- for fun and profit. And auto racing is unparalleled in this regard.

Look at quinn1's list above. That's 1.3 fatalities per year over the last 10 years. And that doesn't include the crew members and fans who have been killed! Can you imagine any other major sport (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) that would be allowed to continue if it started each season knowing full well that, statistically speaking, one of two of its participants --and a stray fan or two -- would be killed during competition before the season is done?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:40 pm
muerte wrote:
My, how we can twist and spin when it suits our needs.

yep..you sure can

cant take the heat..stay out of the kitchen
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
Quote:
cant take the heat..stay out of the kitchen

Not complaining, just making note of it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 06:19 pm
How about reading up on safety information--from 2000?

Quote:
Saturday, 7/08/2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safety innovations make NASCAR fatalities a rarity
By Royal Ford / c. The Boston Globe
Another driver has been killed at New Hampshire International Speedway, the second in less than two months to die in a wreck during practice.

Inevitable questions follow: Is it the track? Is it a safety problem with the cars? Is it the speed?

The answer: none of those. It is the sudden stops.

Think back to a spectacular, but nonfatal, wreck last spring at Daytona International Speedway in Florida. Ricky Rudd, in the Bud Shootout, bounced off a couple of cars (a good thing), flipped his Winston Cup car onto its roof (a good thing), and slid the length of the straightaway (another good thing).

Rudd walked away.

It was the sort of wreck that gets the adrenaline pumping in the grandstands. A wreck, in itself, is not a good thing, but Rudd was relatively uninjured because his car was built to take all the things Rudd's car did. Bouncing off other cars, flipping onto the roof, and sliding on that roof dissipate the energy of a crash.

As fans gather at NHIS in Loudon, N.H., Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty are on the minds of all. Irwin died yesterday when his car slammed viciously into the wall at Turn 3 just yards from where Petty was killed May 12.

It may be hard to hold this thought, but fatalities are now rare in NASCAR racing because of how the cars are built. Petty ran straight into the wall at about 135 miles per hour. Accounts say Irwin hit the wall hard and then flipped. He likely would have been better off had he flipped and then slid into the wall.

The problem in this type of crash, drivers and designers say, is that although you can "cage" the driver's body -- strapping him securely into a seat, surrounded by crumple zones -- you cannot protect the neck and the brain in a sudden stop from high speed. All else stops securely, but the head, heavy with helmet, keeps moving, possibly resulting in a snapped neck or the brain smashing against the skull.

The car you drive on the highway is basically a stamped piece of steel with soft crumple zones meant to withstand crashes that, by NASCAR standards, are relatively slow-speed events. Winston Cup cars crash at speeds of 130 miles per hour and far higher. The challenge, then, in building a Winston Cup car is to balance stiffness that will protect the driver with enough softness front and rear to absorb the kinetic energy of a crash.

Winston Cup cars are, in basic form, a body made of welded pieces slipped onto a complex, tubular frame. The frame is made up of four sections: front and rear clips (ends), center section, and roll cage.

John Valentine, chief engineer/racing, research and vehicle technology for Ford Motor Co., described these sections. The most important, he said, is the center section where the driver sits. It combines the center section with the roll cage. The whole package, Valentine said, "is literally a cage." Steel tubing with wall thickness of one-eighth of an inch protects the driver on the sides, rear, front, and roof.

"You want to maintain the structural integrity and keep the occupant encased," Valentine said. In addition, he said, "it forms the backbone of the car. You don't want a racecar flexing in the middle."

Thinner, collapsible tubing .083-of-an-inch wall thickness is used in the front and rear clips. Up front, the tubing crumples in a crash, absorbing energy. In addition, the motor and transmission are positioned so they will slide beneath the car, after the motor mounts shear, rather than projecting into the driver's compartment. In addition to the engine, the front clip also holds the suspension. The suspension system is attached with restraining straps so wheels and suspension parts don't go flying into the stands, along the track, or back into the cockpit.

Tubing of the same thickness is used in the rear clip as are suspension straps. It, too, is designed to crumple in a crash, but also holds the fuel cell, a fire-retardant fuel source far safer than the gas tanks of old. There are check valves in the fuel lines to shut off fuel if the engine is separated from the chassis.

NASCAR design, Valentine said, "is all about energy management."

That is why the crashes that crowds like to see are often the safest, he said. "One where the car is sliding a great deal, the tires are smoking, it's scraping off other cars, off the wall, skidding into the grass. You're scraping off the energy," he said.

Valentine, who spoke before Irwin's crash, said the worst crashes "are the ones where there's not a lot of energy absorption."

Crashes like Petty's and Irwin's.

But these types of crashes -- direct hits to an immovable surface -- are rare.

Safety evolves race by race, accident by accident. The airborne crashes of the late 1980s have been mostly halted because of flaps now installed at the rear of the roofline. They pop up when cars get sideways or backward (and lose their aerodynamics) and keep them from flying.

Driver's seats have evolved, too, and today hug the driver tight in an aluminum frame that is meant to hold up under huge crash pressures while bending just enough to absorb energy.

Nets on the window and behind the driver are "basically to contain the driver in the vehicle," said Valentine. They keep head and arms inside and help prevent whiplash.

Richard Petty, who lost his grandson, Adam, in May, said yesterday, "There ain't nothing the matter with the racetrack. These guys run those things 200 miles per hour. It's circumstance with the way you stop them so quick. The body just can't take it."

DRIVERS KILLED RECENTLY IN SANCTIONED EVENTS

-- Formula One
Ayrton Senna, 1994, San Marino GP
Ricardo Paletti, 1982, Canadian GP
Gilles Villeneuve, 1982, Belgian GP

-- IRL
Scott Brayton, 1996, Indianapolis

-- USAC
Swede Savage, 1973, Indianapolis

-- CART
Greg Moore, 1999, Fontana, Calif.
Gonzalo Rodriguez, 1999, Monterey, Calif.
Jeff Krosnoff, 1996, Toronto
Jovy Marcelo, 1992, Indianapolis
Gordon Smiley, 1982, Indianapolis

-- NASCAR
Kenny Irwin, 2000, Loudon, N.H.
Adam Petty, 2000, Loudon, N.H.
John Nemechek, 1997, Homestead, Fla.
Rodney Orr, 1994, Daytona, Fla.
Neil Bonnett, 1994, Daytona, Fla.
Clifford Allison, 1992, Brooklyn, Mich.
J.D. McDuffie, 1991, Watkins Glen, N.Y.
Grant Adcox, 1989, Hampton, Ga.

ALPINE SPORTS FIGURES

Quote:
Dept of Sports Science, University of Innsbruck, Austria
The Alps comprise the largest and most popular sports region in Europe. In Austria alone, each year, more than 10 million people from practically every country in the world are involved in one of the many alpine sports. Mountain sports are associated with a high degree of adventure and recreation. On the other hand, mountain sports appear to involve a high fatality risk as well. However, there are only a few investigations that have assessed this risk to any objective extent.

Therefore, we analysed the fatalities during mountain sports in Austria from 1986 through 1997. The number of persons involved in mountain sports was compiled on the basis of a representative Austrian-wide survey taken in 1984 and the 1989 microcensus.

Traumatic deaths (TDs) included occurrences in which an accident caused fatal injuries. Sudden deaths (SDs) were defined as unexpected, non-traumatic events that lead to death within one hour after the onset of symptoms.

In the period from 1986 through 1997, a total of 1170 Austrians died during conventional alpine sports activities. The annual death rate per 100,000 persons was increasing from downhill skiing (0.9) to backcountry skiing (1.7) to mountain hiking (4.0) and rock- and ice-climbing (6.7). 71% of all fatalities were traumatic deaths (TDs) and 29% sudden deaths (SDs). TDs occurred more frequently with increasing age and men were clearly more endangered than women. The overwhelming majority of SDs affected men over the age of 59 years. Regular physical exercise is seen as an effective measure to prevent both SDs and TDs.

How about some snowmobiling fatalities <you might want to take a look at the registured user numbers as well> (and this is only in Michigan)

Quote:

Snowmobile fatalities down in 2001-2002 season
Of the 33 deaths, 22 of them were alcohol related

The Associated Press

LANSING (AP) -- Michigan saw fewer fatal snowmobiling accidents last winter despite a record number of registered snowmobilers, a state insurance group reported.

There were 33 snowmobile fatalities in 2001-2002, the fewest since the 1998-1999 season, the Michigan Association of Insurance Agents said.

At the same time, the state saw the number of snowmobile registrations surge by nearly 15,000 to a record 393,598. It was the tenth consecutive season that Michigan has seen an increase in the number of registered snowmobilers.

1993 statistics for fatalities of many activities

Quote:

COMPARATIVE RISK OF DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES

Estimates of Fatal Risk
fatalities
Activity per million hrs
-------- ---------------
Skydiving 128.71
General Aviation 15.58
On-road Motorcycling 8.80
Scuba Diving 1.98
Living (all causes of death) 1.53
Swimming 1.07
Snowmobiling .88
Passenger cars .47
Water skiing .28
Bicycling .26
Flying (scheduled domestic airlines) .15
Hunting .08
Cosmic Radiation from transcontinental flights .035
Home Living (active) .027
Traveling in a School Bus .022
Passenger Car Post-collision fire .017
Home Living, active & passive (sleeping) .014
Residential Fire .003

Compiled by Failure Analysis Associates, Inc. (Design News, 10-4-93)

1995 US fatality rates

Quote:

US figures on sports fatalities:

Fatality rate per 100,000 participants
Horse-racing 128
Sky-diving 123
Hang gliding 55
Mountaineering 51
Scuba diving 11
Motorcycle racing 7
College football 3
Boxing 1. 3

Cited in Cantu, Robert (Editor) Boxing and Medicine. Human Kinetics, Illinois, 1995 (pp xi-xiii)

and...you've got to see the stats change on this study:
FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Safety in Grand Prix racing in the 37 years from 1963-1999
A Study by the Circuits and Safety Department

F1safety

My opinion so far has been that some people involved with this topic have a personal opinion regarding the safety issues and fatality statistics of professional race car driving vs. other sports. You are entitled to your opinion however, I would suggest that you look into the facts behind all sports and fatalities before suggesting it is a high level, it promotes some sort of worry we should have on our part as concerned citizens for safety, or any other safety issue related directly with motor sports and professional sports in general.
I think the facts and figures have shown that not only is it a predominately safe sport, but it has grown safer over the years, and has been looked into, is regulated, etc. It is not the safest sport, no. It is not a profession for eveyone however simply because you do not enjoy it, doesnt make it wrong, or highly unsafe, nor do I think we should be so incredibly concerned with the safety of it anymore than we currently are but that we continue on the path we are on to make it as safe as possible for all involved.
I think there are many other sports which show a greater fatality rate, and injury rate and if a person was so concerned with that aspect of professional sports, or sports and recreation for all accidents/fatalities, putting that energy into those could be very helpful to their participants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 06:31 pm
pop rocks too. and no alkaseltzer for the seagulls.
0 Replies