Help from everyone and anyone for an artist wanna be!!!!!

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:23 am
Hello all i am new to this site and think it is great and everyone seems very helpful and intelligent SO I NEED YOU ALL!!! Long story short I graduated with a bachelor of arts from a four year college and desire an "artistic job". the problem is that the demands are high for graphic designers and that's about it. I have a strong background in design, but the job offers I have seen online or in papers demand so much. It is more of a "i don't know what I want, just do it" atmosphere. It's like you just design crap really fast, pitch that crap to clients that you BS, just to fly through the days pile of work. I want to serve a purpose not a company. I paint and illustrate on my own and have had some luck with selling online and to friends and fam, but it's hit and miss. Sometimes sales and sometimes dry months with no sales. So i crave for something that combines art and stability. I would love to illustrate greeting cards from hallmark, but that is in Kansas City and I live in Illinois. Also, I would love to illustrate children's books or do cover designs for novel etc. but I cannot find any info on these. Any input, experience, comments etc. would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time in advance.......Jeff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 763 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:51 am
"I would love to illustrate greeting cards from hallmark, but that is in Kansas City and I live in Illinois. Also, I would love to illustrate children's books or do cover designs for novel etc. but I cannot find any info on these."

Almost all of the illustration jobs I have gotten are freelance. You can find a suprising number of people looking for illustrators through art lists and the news paper. You also might want to call up publishing companies. They don't hire illustrators but they might pass your name along to someone else. Build up a portfolio of illustrations, build up a clientelle.

I might be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that Hallmark did contractural work, as in, you woulnd't have to live there. Why don't you call and ask about it?

As an artist looking for unsusual ways to get paid for your art, it never hurts to be nosy. Call places, ask around, show your portfolio. People know other people who need stuff. Once I got a mural job at a gas station.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:47 pm
I guess I don't really recognize the difference between working for Hallmark who surely says "We need new Mother's Day cards STAT" and then leaves you alone to come up with ideas and working for a design company that says "we need a new soup graphic STAT".

But that's just me.

I typed "book cover design" into Google and they came up with a big list of names. You might start by sending a resume and portfolio out to some of these companies or just show up and knock on their door.

A lot of small stationary stores (yes, they still exist), hip little boutiques, that kind of place sell samll batch, hand crafted greeting cards. You might create some samples and hit the streets.

My sister took me to one such shop in Dallas just to see the hilarious cards these people sold. Since then, I've seen that the card makers now have little gift books out for sale in every book store.

I notice little racks of unusal cards in all kinds of places. They sell for a lot more than the boxed cards or the big card shop cards but I always buy them because they are different.

Anyone who picks Abe Froman for his moniker has a pretty good sense of humor to go along with his artistic skills. I think you'll do well.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:34 pm
Go to your local book store and buy "The 2005 Artist's and Graphic Designer's market" It is one huge list of addresses and contact info. and submission requirements for hundreds of different companies who need artwork done. Most take on freelance workers so you do not have to live in their area. A new book comes out every year with more contacts.
0 Replies

abe froman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:19 pm
thank you ill definitely check that book out you are all so great here at this forum no junk at all amazing, only helpful tips Again thank you all
0 Replies