Laptop to CD deck hookup?

Twig

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:48 pm
Im looking for either a tutorial, or just a quick way to hook up a laptop to a CD deck so that it would play through the car speakers. Im sure the CD deck would need a certain kind of hookup, but Im looking for any/all ways to do this. Thanks

Btw, its my first post here, woot Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,236 • Replies: 17
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:08 pm
Welcome to A2K. If the CD deck has an auxilliary input, that's where you'd connect the laptop's audio out, usin' the appropriate connectin' cable, most likely a 3.5mm (1/8th inch) stereo-miniphone-plug-to-Dual-RCA-plug "Y" cable. If the CD deck does not have an auxilliary input, you would use a converter - more correctly called an RF Modulator - which would broadcast the laptop's audio output - via a miniphone plug to the laptop - to an unused FM frequency on the CD deck's radio dial. Such converters/modulators typically are around $30-$50 US, the cheaper ones bein' powered by disposable batteries, the more expensive ones powered via cigarette lighter plug.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:14 pm
"most likely a 3.5mm (1/8th inch) stereo-miniphone-plug-to-Dual-RCA-plug "Y""

Could you possibly explain what this is? Maybe a link to where I could buy one or something? Everything else oyu said is great, you helped me out alot so far and thanks for that Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:32 pm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/315306.jpg <---- click image for vendor's product description.

Here's just one example from one vendor - they are exceedingly common, and very cheap - this one is $2.49 US. Any audio/video store or reasonably stocked electronics department will have something similar. Find it locally if you can; shipping costs are likely to be a multiple of the product cost for this item. Spending a little more money will get you a cable with better shielding, which can be important if its to be used in an electronically boisy environment such as inside an autombile, but even a very good, moderately high-end Y-adapter can be had for under $20.00 US.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:53 pm
man you rock. Thanks alot Smile I just ordered one, should be at my house in about 3-7 days and then Im good to go.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:37 pm
Ok, Ive got the cord, and I hook it up in the right places, but am I supposed to put the unit on a certain station or what is it I have to do? I cant get an audio to come through the car speakers from the laptop.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
If the audio cable is going from the laptop's audio output to the car deck's auxilliary input, you use whatever selector function the car deck has to select its auxilliary input. Consult the documentatiion for the car deck (if you don't have the manual it came with, it prolly is available for download at the vendor's website support pages) - if it has an auxilliary input, it has a switch or button somewhere to select that input.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
No, its not going to the auxillary, its going to the input of the deck.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:16 pm
Well thats the "auxilliary" input; the radio and CD mechanism are the primary inputs. Are you sure thats an input on the deck? It should be labled "Input" or "In" or "Aux", or something like that, and there should be a switch, button, or other function among the decks controls to select that input as opposed to either the radio or CD mechanism.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
I have both an auxillary input and a normal(I guess) input. The auxillary input is only one plug, which the cord you suggested to me doesnt work with (since it has two parts to the input end) and its meant to go into a "normal" input.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
What is the label on the connection you're using at the car deck?
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
Audio IN I believe. Im not with my car at the moment.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:12 pm
OK, cool. If it is labled "Audio In", there's almost gotta be something among the car deck's control set that allows you to select that input. Its possible it is an "auto-sensing" input, which automatically engages if a signal s present at the input - though if it has that feature, its usually something the deck brags about with some sorta catchy slogan on the front of the unit - not always, but typically. If it is an audio input, and there actually is no way to select it from the deck's control set, its reasonable to assume its auto-sensing. Its possible also that a particular combination of buttons have to be pressed simultaneously or in particular sequence on the car deck to engage the input. I really recommend you consult the deck's documentation.

Are you sure you have the mini-plug end plugged into the laptop's audio output? Thats the headphone jack on most laptops.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:18 am
Im sure Im plugged in the right jack. Ill look for a manual sometime today.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:14 pm
No manual for it but still no solution.... anyone got any advice/ideas?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:29 pm
Longshot - but can you provide the make amd model of the car deck? Mebbe I can find something that will help you out.
0 Replies

Twig

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
lol you replied same time I bumped. Give me a sec.
0 Replies

onepointeightturbo

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:51 pm
for the lap top to cd deck
wouldnt it be easier to hook up from audio (red and white) from the back of your deck to the end of a head phone plug to ur lap top
0 Replies