The Best Compliment?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:43 pm
At one point, back in the '60's, I was resident faculty in a girls boarding school. Over dinner one evening, my table of eight was talking about what period in time they would rather live in.

"What about you, Miss J.?"

I pointed out that I'd probably not be alive without miracle drugs--and that an invalid would be a drain on the human resources of a pre-industrial society.

One of the brightest of my students looked up and announced with great sincerity, "Oh, Miss J., you'd have been a great white witch and we'd have proped you up in the corner of the cave and taken very good care of you."

I treasure that comment.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:50 pm
Hey, nice dick..
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:31 pm
Beautiful young ladies always say to me,

"Oh Sir! Ooh Sir! OOooh Sir;
As they lie between the lilly white sheets,
With nothing on at all!"
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:01 pm
That would be the last year in High School. We all had finals and were beat at the end of the day. While I was walking down
the hallway, a group of guys just came out from a classroom
complaining how hard the test was.

As they came towards me, one of them sighed and said: "Gosh you're the first gleam of light I've seen all day".
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:33 pm
Someone very close to me told me that without me he would not be alive.

This is true, he had a mild seizure in front of me. When he came to, he did not recognize anything was wrong, had no memory of the incident.
I drove him to the ER , and long story short, it was discovered he had been have ventricular fibrillations ( the bad kind - as opposed to atrial)
if this had not been discovered, it would have been just a matter of days/weeks before he would have just dropped dead. He recognized later that he had been having these blackouts before. It turned out he had had a massive heart attack about a year before, and didn't know it. The doctors could tell that through his body chemistry - Amazing, isn't it. (he thought he had a really bad case of the flu, coughed so hard he broke a rib - he told me that one of the nights he was sick he literally thought he was going to die, said it was the strangest feeling because he was okay with it-that must have been when the heart attack occured).

This was about 8 years ago - through quite a few painful procedures, two different internal defibrillators and a myriad of other happenings he is in better shape than before all this, we are still married and I love him more than I could ever express. The tears that are welling up right now is because telling someone they saved their life is almost too tremendous.

Someone told me that no one dies before they acheive their lifes purpose, BUT, they won't necessarily know when they accomplish it. Maybe that was mine. More importantly, just by being there perhaps I helped another person along so they could acheive theirs.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:28 pm
Mathos wrote:

With nothing on at all!"

They call you "Sir"? ...hmmm...quite strange indeed

Sounds like a waitress, or you are much older than them or something?

Are you like, paying them money or something?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:29 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
That would be the last year in High School. We all had finals and were beat at the end of the day. While I was walking down
the hallway, a group of guys just came out from a classroom
complaining how hard the test was.

As they came towards me, one of them sighed and said: "Gosh you're the first gleam of light I've seen all day".

Wow. Can't compete with that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 02:45 am
"Oh Sir!Ooh Sir!Oooh Sir-I'm really sorry-I didn't bring my magnifying glass."
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:06 am
Child of the Light wrote:
Hey, nice dick..

Are these "men" or women that are saying this to you?

If that is a picture of you in your avatar, and they are saying that to you, I really don't want to hear any more! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:55 am
Once I said to a girl: I see you.

She was puzzled at first, but then she liked it... and then she really liked it. Maybe it was the simplicity. Nothing in it to distrust or write off as white lie. Just a simple statement that she had stood out somehow.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:57 am
The most simple, unexpected ones are usually the best
compliments Cyracuz.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:53 pm
extra medium wrote:
Mathos wrote:

With nothing on at all!"

My breeding demands 'Sir' dear lady, even if they pay me.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:03 pm
Mathos wrote:
extra medium wrote:
Mathos wrote:

With nothing on at all!"

My breeding demands 'Sir' dear lady, even if they pay me.

ahem: I'm not a lady, madam.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:24 pm
I've received a number of hard-earned formal honors, but the "best" compliments were the acceptance by my two wives of my marriage proposals.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:26 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I've received a number of hard-earned formal honors, but the "best" compliments were the acceptance by my two wives of my marriage proposals.

Two wives. Wow, that really is a compliment, especially from the 2nd one.

Do you live in Utah?

I am so sorry, I will stop. I just couldn't resist! Razz
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:33 pm
EM, forgiven. I would not have been able to resist that one either. My first wife and I divorced but remarried 23 years later. My second wife died. But I do believe in polygyny. :wink:
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:08 am
My fourth grade teacher had us make things out of clay, which she took to be fired and glazed. A week or so later she brought back the results. She held up and praised my feeble pinch pot that had a mustad-yellow glaze. That was probably the best positive stroke I had received in my life up to that point and maybe the most influential stroke ever because I am now a professional potter.

I think that, outside of our parents, our teachers in the early grades have the most influence on us, positive or negative; therefore, it's critical that we support the positive teacher's efforts.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:09 pm
JLNobody wrote:

Are you vaunting, a muslim, a mormon? Or would you like to tell us about your two wives?

We are dying to know.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:36 pm
I recall a judge many years ago telling me I had a "passive-agressive manner."

Confused

I took it as a compliment.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:43 pm
Mathos wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

Are you vaunting, a muslim, a mormon? Or would you like to tell us about your two wives?

We are dying to know.

Mathos,
JL has answered the question already

Quote:
EM, forgiven. I would not have been able to resist that one either. My first wife and I divorced but remarried 23 years later. My second wife died. But I do believe in polygyny.
0 Replies