Are Atheists/Agnostics the Most Intolerant Group on A2K ?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:58 pm
little k--

You wicked, lippy children.

yitwail--

Seek and ye shall find. Delve for principles, not personalities.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:58 pm
That thread has a certain pull - I suppose I will have to go look at it ....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:06 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
little k--

You wicked, lippy children.

Come on, you like that nickname, don't you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:14 pm
I have seldom been so confused in my life.

Or - is that fused to my wife?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:15 pm
Like I said to the Aetna guy, "I refuse to buy life!"
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:17 pm
since i've never posted in Relationships & Marriage, and Bright Side of Slavery is in Philosophy & Debate, i'm absolving myself for the time being, and will continue posting in my usual manner. i would feel a bit more secure if someone were to give me a vote of confidence, next time they see something i've posted, excluding this post, of course.
0 Replies

dlowan

Hmmm - but would you eat furze to save your life?
0 Replies

patiodog

I'm 99.44% (Ivory pure) sure that it ain't you, yit.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:21 pm
that's awfully considerate of you. would you like some milk bone or a tummy rub?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:22 pm
A scratch on the rump would be lovely. Right above the tail. I can't reach that without getting a crick in my neck.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:24 pm
sure thing, as long as you're not allergic to latex gloves. it's for your protection, you know.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:36 pm
Let's keep this G-rated: platex gloves, please.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:42 pm
book marking so I can come back and read
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 11:08 pm
Yes, I couldn't agree more, Husker :-D
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:45 am
I have not spent much time here in the religion section because there is a lot of hate for religious beliefs that is directed at posters who have some kind of religious faith.

Also because most of my post get ignored so I just figured they were not very interesting or something.

But I do love to talk of religious topics in the Bible and other religious topics.

Between my leftist leanings in politics and my Christian leanings in faith, it sort of leaves me in a weird place.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:58 am
revel wrote:
Between my leftist leanings in politics and my Christian leanings in faith, it sort of leaves me in a weird place.

in this day and age, it does, but it shouldn't. Matt 19:16-26 almost demands that Christians be generous:

Quote:
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:15 am
So, here's my question: is this going on in threads whose provenance is questions of religion? Or questions where the religious and the secular typically overlap and come into conflict (e.g., evolution, politics)? When I see a thread addressing a point of faith, I leave it alone. When I see one, say, pitting religion against evolution (as has been the case lately), I might stick my nose in.

Dumping on threads meant for those who share a common belief to compare points of faith is not kosher, in my opinion. But if it's a matter of public debate, that's fair game. (Generally pointless, but fair game.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:36 am
yitwail, for time being I think I am going to leave that one alone. I have a feeling it will get dumped on from both sides. (Been there)

patidog, like I said I haven't spent too much here yet; but from time I have spent here and I avoid subjects like evolution, it has been mostly people just having a religious faith at all getting dumped on.

For instance let's say a person asked the following:

"Is Jesus, God and Holy Spirit one in actuality or are they one in spirit?"

This question in all likelihood would not open up a religious discussion of that subject from the stand point of the Bible from which the concept originated in the first place, but just all kinds of caustic remarks about religion in general and maybe Christianity in particular.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:54 am
That sucks. Since I could give a rat's ass about that one, I wouldn't post on it. (Okay, there was a joke on the "hell" board, and a follow up on a quasi-historical q, but hopefully that's about it.)

I do think that a lot of it -- right now, anyway -- is coming from the political climate of the U.S., where a lot of folks (myself included) think that religiously-based moralism is having undue influence in government, but that's no excuse for churlishness.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:08 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies