Are Atheists/Agnostics the Most Intolerant Group on A2K ?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:24 pm
One of the aspects of A2K that I enjoy most is the opportunity to play with ideas and words. Intellectual curiosity is not always a serious business.

All the same, I'm troubled by the number of Newbie posts in Spirituality & Religion and Relationships & Marriage that are exploited rather than answered.

Quips and wisecracks can be delightful. Deliberately using serious threads as occasions for malicious wit is not delightful.

I've seen the pattern over and over. A Newbie poses a sincere--although often unsophisticated--question. The usual suspects descend in the usual pack, derail the thread and vanish.

Why are A2K atheists, agonistics and jesters intolerant? Whatever happened to the scroll button?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,942 • Replies: 113
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:28 pm
You know, Noddy. I've wondered the same thing. We can be forceful without being hateful, I think, but then there's the other side of the coin, the newbies that ask questions then never return to say, "Thanks".
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:32 pm
Do you really confine it to religious orientation? I've seen just as many Christians on here be obnoxious as well. I think it's more of a personality disorder than religious affiliation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:41 pm
True; we should stay on topic. No spamming slamming or scamming.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:23 pm
I don't think I am too severe with the religious on here, unless they pick an argument with me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:28 pm
I know the post of which Noddy speaks that probably triggered this discussion. And, I agree. The responses could have well gone without being posted since they did not seem to contribute to any further understanding or discussion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:54 pm
What if the person is of the opinion that anything done to derail religion....is a gift to humanity?

What if the person simply decides to be truthful?

I'm not sure which post...or what incident...prompted this thread...but the basis for the way your question is posed is really very ambiguous.

In any case...in answer to your question...ambiguous or not....

...NO...the atheists and agnostics are most definitely not the most intolerant group on A2K. Not even close.

I hope that was of help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:56 pm
Are Atheists/Agnostics the Most Interolant Group on A2K?

You betcha, now get off my board . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:57 pm
I find the pedantic radical conservatives who align their politics with religion and attempt the moral high ground to be MUCH more hateful and intolerant.

As for the jesters, well, I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about. <harumph>
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:18 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
What if the person is of the opinion that anything done to derail religion....is a gift to humanity?
I'm not sure which post...or what incident...prompted this thread...but the basis for the way your question is posed is really very ambiguous.
...NO...the atheists and agnostics are most definitely not the most intolerant group on A2K. Not even close.
I hope that was of help.

If you are talking about derailing religious leaders and clergymen, you have a point. But if you are talking about the nature of the truth, why not start a seperate thread? Then we misguided religious souls could reach our own conclusions without your guiding light. When we finally ended up in darkness, we would beg for you to come back. . . or not.

BTW, Frank, you asked me a good question a few days ago and I plan to answer it. But since it involved a process instead of a sudden flash of insight, I'm going to take my time in giving my response. Suffice it to say for now that I did not really just fall off the turnip truck. I reached my conclusions after ample research.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:53 pm
Would help if I knew of what Noddy spoke betterer. I rarely go near Relationships etc.

However, it is my general impression that other groups have at least an equal claim to intolerance.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:05 pm
If you're talking about me, you're all a bunch of ignorant comnimpoops!

Otherwise, I have no opinion on the matter.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:10 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I hope that was of help.

If you are talking about derailing religious leaders and clergymen, you have a point. But if you are talking about the nature of the truth, why not start a seperate thread?

I only respond to what is already raised in a thread. I did not do anything in any thread where we both participated that required me to "start a separate thread."

Quote:
Then we misguided religious souls could reach our own conclusions without your guiding light.

It is obvious to me that you folks won't do that...and maybe even "cannot" do that.

Quote:
When we finally ended up in darkness, we would beg for you to come back. . . or not.

Cute...but tacky.

Quote:
BTW, Frank, you asked me a good question a few days ago and I plan to answer it. But since it involved a process instead of a sudden flash of insight, I'm going to take my time in giving my response. Suffice it to say for now that I did not really just fall off the turnip truck. I reached my conclusions after ample research.

I never thought you just fell off a turnip truck. If I asked a question, I was interested in your reply. Answer it or not as you choose...and please take as long as you want if you are considering your answer.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:57 pm
Sanctuary--

You suggest that the instant sniping on A2K is motivated more by a personality disorder than religious affiliation. Perhaps. I think to some degree problem is an aspect of Territorial Pride. After all those who are not People of the Book have no binding injunction to suffer fools gladly.

Neologist--

I like your ideal world--and your style of arguement.

Edgar--

I've never known you to flog either a dead horse or a limping horse. You prefer to tussle with your equals.

Squinney--

Women are less likely to bristle at innocent tresspassing than men are. Of course this may be a biased statement. Thanks for the support.

Frank--

Like Edgar you're a heathen gentleman--with iron fists under the velvet.

Setanta--

Like the other gentlemen you let the self-righteous throw the first punch. Then you pounce. You find no sport in slaughtering innocents.

bvt--

Those who wear cap and bells have lonely roads. Sometimes jesters whistle in the dark and sometimes they carry loudspeakers with extra batteries.

dlowan--

As it happens my question was prompted by a recent threads in Spirituality & Religion and Relationships & Marriage The people giving Atheists and Agnostics a bad name tend to go for the new and the helpless.

patiodog--

The people I'm thinking of lack a talent for illuminating self-humor. You don't.

Thank all of you for your replies. I have some more thinking to do.

Hold your dominions.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:14 pm
I am guessing here, but I think that Noddy may be talking about Discreet's thread, "The Bright Side of Slavery".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:22 pm
Letty
I've avoided that one like the plague.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:23 pm
Whew! All present company excluded! Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:25 pm
I feel that Im selective about engaging in argument. I have a few interests in which Im passionate. Do you confuse intolerance with strong support?
Its very hard not to sound harsh in the written word. I only know of avery few
people who are good at coming across tolerant yet convincing (Im certainly not one). .
However, having said that, my superstitious side says never leave behind any enemies when you go to sea. SO Im busy patching up relationships on the board. Even with that schlub kickycan, or that great potted plant that is Ratzenhofer.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:27 pm
If it's the thread I'm thinking of -- well, that one's just a friggin' mess, and certainly no parties appear to have been frightened away by abuse.

Maybe that's not it. A distracting, time-consuming puzzle, this is...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:32 pm
Farmerman what about me....we're buddies right? Because I'm walking a dark and lonely road and need some buddies. I'm delicate, delicate.
0 Replies