What sort of conversations do you like?

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:47 am
I love conversations that move effortlessly from logical, serious and ordered to zany, witty, playful and whimsical, and back again - travelling, also, through realms of feeling and import, through the mundane, practical, abstruse, esoteric, and back to serious again - sort of like conversational fish, dancing together through the light and airy realms close to the sunlight, hovering in the depths, struggling in the white water of racing currents and rocks and resting, briefly in the waters of worms and minnows to feed and then move on again.

I also, sometimes, enjoy conversations that stay rigorously on one topic - exploring it fully, debating it sometimes hotly, but remaining open despite the passion.

I sometimes fall into conversations where I lose the openness in the passion - and emerge feeling spent and cross with myself.

What sort of conversation is your favourite? Is it, as it is for me, a favourite hobby and plaything - a tool of trade and a joy - or is it a serious affair?

Come and have a talk about conversation....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,766 • Replies: 74
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:06 am
Deep, deep ones, with a good friend over a glass of white or 3! Very Happy Exchanges that leave no stone unturned .... ones that cause you to rethink your understanding of particular issues.
Converstations in which both participants listen & respond to each other's contributions.
But not ALL the time! Too exhausting!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:12 am
Indeed - but those are GOOD ones!

What about those "falling in love" conversations that go on FOREVER - while gazing into each other's eyes.......awwwwwwwwwwwwww....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:14 am
i only engage in conversation with others in total agreement with my learned and infinite wisdom. whilst i pontificate my assuredly wise and all knowing opines i expect only frequent nods of approval and adoration. i am a hermit.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:17 am
Hmmmmmm ..
They have their time & place, however NOW is not the time for my good self! Very Happy This is the new me! Laughing
But have been there before, many a time .... Funny how you can't really remember the conversation, but you can clearly remember the eyes!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:22 am
LOL Dys - now THAT makes for both the perfect conversation - and the eremite status you refer to!

Msolga - the eyes - and the smiles - sigh.....

I love conversations that are constructed - like a piece of jazz - by different instruments building and improvising upon and adding to each other - the whole a creation of many - and totally unexpected!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:28 am
dlowan wrote:

I love conversations that are constructed - like a piece of jazz - by different instruments building and improvising upon and adding to each other - the whole a creation of many - and totally unexpected!

Nicely put, D. .... And like good jazz, the conversation can take surprising little twists & turns.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:32 am
The best part!

I can also enjoy those very focussed, lasar-like, discussions that really focus logically and empirically on the subject at hand - with rigour - but preferably with underlying good humour.

But - buttons we all got...sigh...
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:43 am
I love what call 'deep and meaningfuls...also ones that start out as something, and finish as something else...
Interesting question:

Anyone ever started a conversation with someone on the basis of asking them a simple question, like for directions?

I guess every friendship has to start somewhere, but I mean talking to someone you just noticed out of the corner of your eye, or something? Some you haven't met before? (excluding online)

and I also love ones that last for three days....

Lorna
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:55 am
Lorna - some of my best conversations have started in just that way! Serendipity is a lovely thing. Sometimes those "ship in the night" talks are very good - a bit like some online discussions, I guess - with relative anonymity leading to a lowering of barriers.

Ah - the three day ones!

Let us not exclude the net from this discussion, by the way - I have had some wonderful net conversations - complicated by this wretched typing and the transmission (and, on my part, hearing problems) of microphone chat.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:21 am
A conversation that makes me think and where my intellect is challenged no matter what the subject is. I love conversations about serious things and silly things. Laughing with friends over a silly comment or a past event is great. Right now my favorite conversation are the Sunday evening chats in the Cyber Art Salon here at A2k. We have a topic which we discuss and then we digress. And the time flies, sometimes it goes on for two hours and I am unaware of the time passing it is so much fun.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:24 am
Sounds great, Joanne - wish I knew more about art!

Seems to have all the ingredients of a good conversation from my point of view.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:26 am
We shouldl start our Saturday chat again, the chat room works perfectly now and I miss it. What do you think?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:40 am
The room has no delay now? Wow!!!!! I shall try and make it!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:18 am
No none and it does not kick you out all the time if you check the box by your login. Everyone would love to have you join that is for sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:13 am
Because I was so bad at small talk (still am pretty sad at it) I still get a happy feeling when I exchange pleasantries with a neighbor or a stranger in line at the store. Silly, but it's a sign of my own growth.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
I like conversation where people are good at listening as well as expressing their opinions, where there is a balance between knowledge, wit, and genuine interest in what everyone has to say. When that magical chemistry happens, you never know where the conversation will end up, because it's not one person dominating and controlling with their agenda, it's a kind of chamber music of the soul.

And I don't mean it has to be serious stuff; after all, some of the most engaging chamber music isn't serious so much as it is ingenious and exciting.

I like jazz also as a comparison to conversation. since it is improvisation within a structure. But my own experience is with playing classical chamber music, and there is definately a correlation between good listening and the quality of the music which is played.

Real conversation, where everyone has a part and is listened to, is just like music in that the group is only as good as the weakest player. But it's still more fun than listening to one "brilliant" person lecturing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:08 am
the art of conversation is listening
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
Nice to see you all today online! I will be going into the Chat Room here now, in case anyone would wish to join me? I will hang out there for about 1/2 hour, so hope to see friends....
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:04 pm
dream2020 wrote:

it's a kind of chamber music of the soul.

That's such a great line, dream2020....music and conversation, two of my favourite things!

I've had some really great online conversations...really interesting how it enables people to speak to people they might not normal come into contact with. Some great friendships start on screen!

Lorna
0 Replies