If pot had never been discovered...

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:40 pm
...what other things would never have happened?

Of course, Woodstock would never have taken place...and Pink Floyd would never have become popular, but the biggest thing that I think would have been different is that Vietnam anti-war sentiment would never have become strong enough to affect change like it did.

I think that pot becoming the hip cool mind-expanding drug back in the sixties had a direct influence on the anti-war movement.

I believe that it was a major catalyst in getting young people together in a way that allowed this anti-war movement to take root and flourish. It was the government's strict stance against pot that pushed the flower children of the sixties to come together and start this whole movement. Therefore, I believe the Vietnam war's outcome was directly influenced by the use of pot by the youth of that generation.

What other things do you think would not have ever happened if pot had never been discovered?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,658 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Discreet

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 11:38 pm
The Russians supposedly gave lots of opium to chinese in order to keep them peaceful and control them. THis led to great addictions to opium in China
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 11:46 pm
Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts would have been nothing.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 11:50 pm
Most of creativity was inspired by drugs...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:35 am
None of this!??!!

http://musicmoz.org/img/editors/magne/marley.jpg

My early years would have been REALLY boring!!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 03:07 am
We would still be getting stiff on lichen, cactus, and fermented June-bugs.

That, and the textile industry wouldn't be using so much chlorine or patented synthetics.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:28 pm
There wouldn't be so many goddamn college jam bands hogging the show space in this town.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:29 pm
Ah, but on the flipside, I would have missed those high school Saturday nights listening to Dark Side of the Moon in my basement.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:45 pm
Thanks for bringing up a subject that is almost taboo in this country, that is discussing hallucinogens objectively. So called drug education consists of virtually nothing more that just saying "No."

Pot and the other stronger hallucinogins were responsible for more than the anti-war sentiment in this country. I think they were responsible to a large extent for the great cultural change that occurred during the sixties.

The people of the fifties were extremely repressed and conservative. Timothy Leary referred to that conservativsm in the phrase "the Soviet Mid-West."

The U.S. was still in a militaristic mood riding the wave created by the victory of WWII. All men wore military haircuts. To wear hair touching your ears or collar made you a virtual outcast. Parents were shocked by the hair style of the early Beatles, which, looking back, made them look like nothing more than choir boys..

I think people were, and still are, more afraid of the hallucinogens than the downers, including the ultimate downer, heroin. People using hallucinogens radicalize society, especially spiritually: America, for a whort while anyway, became peaceful. Someone said—and I forget the author—that god came to America in the form of hallucinogens. People use downers to kill pain, physical and psychological so people pity them or disdain them, but they don't fear them like they do hallucinogin users.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:52 pm
Half a million law enforcement people -- from the DEA to the local fuzz narcs -- would be out of work.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:53 pm
Whatever would the good people at ZigZag do?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:08 pm
resort to making zippers..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:31 pm
Q.) What did the Deadhead say when he ran out of pot?

A.) What's that horrible noise?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
Discreet wrote:
The Russians supposedly gave lots of opium to chinese in order to keep them peaceful and control them. THis led to great addictions to opium in China

I don't know about Russia, and this is off-topic, but in the 18th century England did a flourishing drug trade with China. England grow opium in India then traded it—illegally—to China for tea and manufactured goods. When China tried to stop the trade England launched the opium wars. China was dealt a tragic and humiliating defeat.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:46 pm
I would have..um..I mean...pot smokers would have done other drugs instead.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:47 pm
One of these days I'm going to try some pot.

Just to see what all the fuss is about.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:47 pm
The statement that Russians supplied the Chinese with opium is completely without foundation. In the mid-1680's, Sofia Alexeevna, the regent for the boy Tsars, Ivan and Petr, agreed to make war on the Turks by attacking their proxies, the Crimean Tatars. As a consequence, she sent agents to negotiate a settlement with the Qing dynasty over the dispute about the Amur river valley. There was virtually no contact between Russia and China from 1689 until the mid-19th century. The treaty of Nerchinsk established the border, and set up trade agreements--but the Russians became involved in the politics of Europe, and turned from an eastward view to a westward view. All the trade was local (i.e., from Siberia). Opium is not produced in Siberia.

As Coluber correctly points out, the opium in China came from the English. The Chinese demanded payment for any goods in silver. They barred the import of nearly everything the English had to offer. But the English hit upon the idea of importing opium from India, so that the trade route to China to get silk and tea was not a dead loss. Without the least regard for the consequences of the opium trade for the Chinese people, they persisted in bringing opium into the country illegally. Here you will find Wikipedia's very brief but comprehensive description of the opium wars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:53 pm
That's what I thought, but of course I didn't have the data Setanta does to back up my opium opinion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:54 pm
Gus, that was wonderful.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:54 pm
I've smoked opium but not in years. I'd smoke some right now though given the opportunity. And do a couple fo Yager bombs. After all it's Saturday night.
0 Replies