AOC statement this morning

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 08:59 am
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54729014_804697279908946_4003235486414929920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=92b0e1006f312a4256fdabc577f4171c&oe=5D02BBC3
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,118 • Replies: 64

engineer

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 09:07 am
@edgarblythe,
What do you think she means by that? My take (also reading other comments she's written) is that she is not going to set the place on fire and is willing to work with the old guard.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:41 pm
I think she’s saying she’s gonna ignore the ole farts.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:49 pm
@PUNKEY,

https://i.imgur.com/QuSs9w0.jpg
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 01:03 pm
Saw her on t v the other day. Very articulate. Was able to explain her beliefs. Can't wait to see her debate one of the consertive wingnuts.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 02:32 pm
She’s talking about infighting - within her own party. The “ole farts” I refer to are Pelosi, etc.

Unless the Dems get a unified message and direction, Trump is assured 2020.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 02:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Smart, smart lady, this one.
Quote:
"I'm not going to allow this movement to get hijacked by an energy of antagonism"
That seems pretty clear. If antagonisms arise between candidates or supporters of candidates or between younger and older Dems or the "progressive" and "establishment" Dems, she's going to fight against such antagonistic postures.

The second graph is equally clear. She won't support in-fighting - not because she is "pro-establishment" but because she is focused on building a new, strong force in the party and we need everyone on board.

And all of that is exactly the right way forward.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 06:29 pm
@blatham,
If Sarah Palin or Rand Paul or Paul Ryan wrote:
"I'm not going to allow this movement to get hijacked by an energy of antagonism"

Read this with any other name attached.... it isn't a very good quote (which is why no one can even figure out what it means). I don't think Ocasio-Cortez is that smart, she is the popular kid in high school telling her clique what they want to hear. I haven't heard anything original from her, or anything intellectually challenging. She is just a bunch of left wing facebook memes in human form.

The far left is fawning... the rest of us are saying "what the heck"?
maporsche

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 07:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think she’s made an accurate assessment that if her views are ever going to win out it will be because her positivity and persuasiveness convince people to join her causes...not because she verbally assaults those who aren’t fully on her side.

If only her supporters take up her strategy. We might be able to pull 2020 out of Trumps hands.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 08:52 pm
She is a puppet, some say hired for the job because of her star quality, her agenda is to destroy the country.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 01:17 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't think Ocasio-Cortez is that smart

LOL... That may be because she's smarter than you are.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 02:00 am
It looks like a sellout to me. The first thing I think of is Omar’s principled stand against AIPAC—how she was immediately attacked by the Dem establishment and actually censured by pelosi and crew—as they followed the wishes of Republicans in the attack.

Only Tlaib supported Omar. AOC’s voice was conspicuously absent.

I’m sorry to see her cave even further to the status quo. Disappointed.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 04:50 am
I just figured out who AOC reminds me of...

Some ten years ago a Republican woman burst onto the political scene. Many conservative swooned at what they saw as her strength, her sincerity and her feminine wisdom. The ideological base fawned over her while the rest of the country just scratched our heads and said "What the ****!?".

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is Sarah Palin for Democrats.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 05:00 am
@maxdancona,
You're blinded by either hatred of liberals or women.

Palin was an illiterate moron and you cant say that about Cortez.
blatham

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 05:46 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
Palin was an illiterate moron and you cant say that about Cortez.
My god. Did he make that comparison?

That would be comparable to equating Maxdancona with Ronald Reagain.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 05:59 am
@Lash,
It looks like a sellout to you does it?
Quote:
A spokeswoman for Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign apologized Tuesday after questioning whether the “American-Jewish community has a dual allegiance to the state of Israel” — a comment condemned by Jewish leaders across the political spectrum as having anti-Semitic overtones.

"In a conversation on Facebook, I used some language that I see now was insensitive. Issues of allegiance and loyalty to one's country come with painful history,” Belén Sisa, Sanders’ national deputy press secretary, told POLITICO. "At a time when so many communities in our country feel under attack by the president and his allies, I absolutely recognize that we need to address these issues with greater care and sensitivity to their historical resonance, and I'm committed to doing that in the future.”
Politico

AOC's resume as a progressive political voice is unquestioned. Your resume as an actual progressive stinks. And it is not improving. You keep pushing - always - for division and disaffection on the left. I no longer have any doubt that you're a fraud.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 07:23 am
@blatham,
Quote:
AOC's resume as a progressive political voice is unquestioned.

Exactly! This is the problem. AOC is a progressive cheerleader, telling you what you want to hear. That she has no substance, thoughtful or even deep understanding of the issues is irrelevant.

I don't know what you mean by sellout and fraud. I think I have been pretty consistent, I support liberal causes; civil rights, immigrant rights, free speech... but I am disaffected by the identity politics and irrational extremes of today's left. There are many Americans like me... and if the Democratic party doesn't figure out how to earn our votes, they are going to have trouble.

AOC is a cheerleader for what I believe is wrong with today's "progressive" left in the same way that Sarah Palin was a cheerleader for the right. That is why the base are fawning over her like a bunch of middle school boys, and the rest of us are scratching our heads.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 07:58 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I have a great respect for Elizabeth Warren, a liberal woman who is very intelligent and thoughtful. I don't have respect for AOC who is ideological and often uninformed.

Hopefully you can see the difference. I don't think questioning the current liberal "it girl" equals hatred of women or of liberals.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 10:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I have a great respect for Elizabeth Warren, a liberal woman who is very intelligent and thoughtful.

You can honestly say that about someone who is guilty of trying to claim to be a minority because it afforded her extra rights and privileges? Seems like her whole schtick is phony and very unthoughtful.

Quote:
I don't have respect for AOC who is ideological and often uninformed.

Hopefully you can see the difference. I don't think questioning the current liberal "it girl" equals hatred of women or of liberals.

AOC is a coal flaming bright right now, but soon all of her oxygen will be used up and she will flicker out. They all do.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 10:34 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I have a great respect for Elizabeth Warren, a liberal woman who is very intelligent and thoughtful.

Who lied about her heritage for financial gain. She is calculating and dishonest.
0 Replies